Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

D&D Epics - Highest Damage Output Build

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Naruto d20 Epics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: D&D Epics - Highest Damage Output Build Reply with quote

What you need:

Barbarian with Starting Strength 18
A +8 berserking vampiric greataxe (+11 weapon)
Access to the Frenzied Berserker prestige class
Power attack

What you do:
- Gain +7 Strength from levels
- Acquire +5 inherent bonus from Wish or Manual to Strength
- Acquire +5 inherent bonus from Wish or Manual to Constitution
- Own a +6 Strength item
- Gain +6 Constitution item
- Be Hasted
- Have +11 attack and damage rolls bonus (through buffs)

Barbarian 20/Frenzied Berserker 10

HD 30d12+390 (585 hp) while raging
Str 52, Con 36 while raging

Attack: +59/+59/+54/+49/+44
Damage: 1d12+1d8+1d6+50 (average 63)

Power Attack -25 (ratio 4:1 with Superior Power Attack and 2-handed)
Attack: +34/+34/+29/+24/+19
Damage: 1d12+1d8+1d6+150 (average 163)

On a full attack action, assuming all attacks hit, he deals 765-2,500 damage, including crits.

How many characters do you know can kill an epic Great Wyrm dragon per round, with some luck?

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
IHALA
Rookie Younin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How many characters do you know can kill an epic Great Wyrm dragon per round, with some luck?

Plenty of actual characters, with luck, could do so, and, reach allowing, could do more than one in a round, with some consistency. First character I ever played when I was eight years old, still have him, though have not played with him in 2 years. He was a fighter only level one, in a group ranging from 6 to 10th level. Converted to 3rd edition and one player retired his fighter/thief. My character got his +3 Vorpal sword; I was 13th level. The character is now 18th level, though the sword was destroyed. need to repair that thing, it's been around that game since the 80s...

It is not difficult to create a character who can maximize something, as a joke I created a halfling who was able to have a 90-something armor class. Thing is, it would never float in a game with a competent DM.

If you are going give him a super-weapon, you might as well give him a ring that adds a luck bonus of 5 to damage (and AC, saves, attack roles, skill checks while you are at it), make his axe have a speed enchantment, have a polymorph any object spell cast on him to make him a titan (More strength! Bigger axe!), and any number of other silly things?
Sacred justice moved my Architect.
I am raised here by divine Omnipotence
Primordial Love and ultimate Intellect.
Only those whose elements time cannot wear
Were made before Me, and beyond time I stand.
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!
Jensik
Sharkbait

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, this has been done... to death. I don't recall but I think the highest melee damage I've ever seen averaged somewhere in the tens of thousands. And that's just melee!

There was an Archmage that specialized in creating Anit-Matter fields and the bastard was sick enough to calculate, using some math and science that I won't even attempt to repeat, (I recall he used comparisons of TNT and atomic weapons at some point, and I'm not sure how that's relevant) an average damage number that was at least fourteen digits long in scientific notation.

I'll try and track those down for ya.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You misunderstand. That weapon is not at all a super weapon as it is barely epic. And I mean actually KILLING it, not getting a lucky crit with a Vorpal weapon.

No, that build is designed to be easiest to achieve with a minimum of things. It's easy to create horribly broken spells or classes. You show me a build that has a higher damage output than this one, and I will show you a grunt and a nod of acknowledgement.

And as a note, I've seen an Owlbear bard with AC 258 or so. At level 30, I believe it was.

Last edited by Frankto on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
NinjaCP
Master of Space and Time

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why stop at +11 for the greataxe? I have my ELH right here and apparently you can go well beyond +20. Also, on page 145 there's a Wondrous Item called Braccers of Relentless Might, which give +12 to both Strength and Constitution. Add on the Belt of Epic Strength, and you've got another +12 to STR. I could go on for a while, but that would undoubtedly try your patience. That and I don't feel like navigating 319 pages of material. =P
Infinitus
Holiday Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasn't there a rock throwing char with over 100000 damage per attack and 4 attacks per round?
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking about the BUILD here. Show me a stronger BUILD, not a better equipped character. And by this, I mean an entirely doable character in a normal campaign. And furthermore, Enhancement bonuses don't stack.

Infinitus
Holiday Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found on the wizards boards: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=142565 I hope that it is not yet fixed Wink
Rookie Younin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the build is not so much more than a 30th level character, given a prestige class and the power attack feat, and a list of items.

Quote:
You misunderstand. That weapon is not at all a super weapon as it is barely epic. And I mean actually KILLING it, not getting a lucky crit with a Vorpal weapon.

A +8 weapon is quite super to me, but then, I denounce the epic rules as the end of character once they reach 20th. A Vorpal weapon still kills the thing. whether you kill it by damage, vorpal weapon, death spell, constitution damage(any ability damage really, hit a dragon for 10 points of dexterity and its helpless), or level drain, its still dead.

And any great wrym should be intelligent to take out that character safely, it is within its power and intelligence, but may not be in the DM's.

If you wanted, a level 5 wizard could kill the Tarrasque with no magic items or anything not found in the core rulebooks.
Sacred justice moved my Architect.
I am raised here by divine Omnipotence
Primordial Love and ultimate Intellect.
Only those whose elements time cannot wear
Were made before Me, and beyond time I stand.
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!
jmantyk
Mr. Happy
Mr. Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't improve it much, but being a goliath (Races of Stone) would buff it a lil. A goliath is a large creature when determining what weapons he can weild, +4 strength, and some other fun things. Also racial barbarian class allowed him to become large when raging, giving him another +2 strength. And for a little more str raising fun, take the reckless rage feat, another +2 strength and con is nice.

FMA style alchemy, a WiP
Linked technique list
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kp91
PM Frankto for a Special Title

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen this before. This is why almost every game I've ever seen has banned Frenzied Berserker.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathless Rage and Delay Death is why Frenzied Berserker is banned.

Naruto d20 Store
Jensik
Sharkbait

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the mage example I mentioned, and I was off on the damage estimate... way off.

I'm pretty sure it was in response to a Golem made entirely from Osmium.

Swordguy from GiTP forums wrote:
Got it! Eschew Materials feat + Major Creation.

There's no book value listed for either Osmium or it's antimatter counterpart. Just summon Anti-Osmium to the limit of your casting ability in contact with the critter. (Point of order: given an Earth-equivalent density, and assuming it has the DR of rock at all points, it takes a 17th level caster to summon enough Anti-Osmium to fragment the planet. Imagine what a 50th could do.)

EDIT:
Osmium is 22610 kg/cubic meter. A 50th level caster summons 50 cubic feet, or a cube 3.7 feet to a side. This converts over to be roughly 15.25 cubic meters, for a final density of 344,802 kg. 1 gram of antimatter produces roughly a 43 kiloton reaction (doubling once the matter is added into the equation, so the detonation of 1g of AM in contact with 1g of matter is 86kt). We have 344,802,500 grams of anti-osmium, for a total yield of 29,653,015,000,000 kilotons. (these are metric tons of 1,000kg each, for a total of 29,653,015,000,000,000 kiloGRAMS of TNT) 1 lb of TNT does 3d6 damage, or, converting over, 0.454 kg of TNT does 3d6 damage. So, dividing 29,653,015,000,000,000 by 0.454 yields 65,315,011,013,215,859 increments of 3d6. So, multiply by three, and get 195,945,033,039,647,577d6 damage.

Congratulations, you've just done 195 quadrillion damage minimum. Your average damage is 685,807,615,638,766,519 hp.

685 quadrillion hp damage. That ought to blow through most DR. And it's not fire damage (even though TNT is usually thought of that way). It's just plain old force damage.

Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... No.

Jensik
Sharkbait

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I didn't say it was reasonable. I just said some guy did it and to someone like me who is too lazy to check his math, it sounds convincing.

Oh and I found the melee guy I mentioned as well. Even more ridiculous!
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well done all on completely missing the point. I'm locking this thread, it numbs my brain.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Naruto d20 Epics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: