Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Favorite Alignment in DnD and why.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> RPG General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kp91
PM Frankto for a Special Title

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Favorite Alignment in DnD and why. Reply with quote

Chaotic Neutral
I do whatever I want, whenever I want. Deal with it!
IntOblivion
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral Evil
I do what I want because I want to, and I don't care much for the suffering of others in order to complete my goal.

My alignment:

probabl Lawful Neutral, or Chaotic Neutral with lawful tendencies.
jmantyk
Mr. Happy
Mr. Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaotic Good<-Goverments should be afraid of their people.

Seems to give me the most freedom. My second favorite would be lawful evil, it's fun being evil when no one knows.

FMA style alchemy, a WiP
Linked technique list
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hitsen
Kage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral Good.
Just like myself, I feel that some laws are made for the stupid and therefore don't apply to me. However, I wouldn't do anything 'bad' (see the one discussion in the other thread for my views of good and evil) because I'm not that type of guy and I do things that are 'good'. ^_^
Sharkbait

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite to play is Lawful Evil, for the same reason as Jmantyk.

My alignment is probably just straight Neutral. You never know what I'm going to do.
DotonLizard
Banned or Something Like It

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaotic Neutral, i like to help people, but if the guy pisses me off they are dead
Samuru
ANBU Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawful Evil, for certain. Because I like the D&D devils, and think that Lawful Evil is a fun alignment to roleplay.
Smitty
Rookie Younin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Neutral.

My system of ethics is both full of good traits and rheprehensible ones, and I doubt the ability of govenments to wrangle people, but still see them as neccesary.

In other words, I'm to wishy-washy for any solid alignment, and it reflects in my roleplaying.
zolniena
Derp
Derp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaotic neutral. it gives me the freedom to loot and steal all i want. even when im joking, ppl think im not. so i just do it anyway. ^_^
killed an old shopkeep that way Very Happy
Infinitus
Holiday Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neutral good.

why? Well, good, no restrictions...
ANBU Veteran

Location: A place with squishy walls and nice men in long white coats.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawful Good (NOT lawful stupid) - I am the epitome of all that is good and honorable. Everyone trusts me because they would never believe I'd do anything dishonorable - and I wouldn't.

That doesn't mean that I can't stand up to unjust governments etc., as any system of law that doesn't promote the good of all is naught but a farce.

Sweetest example of Lawful Good - Batman
jmantyk
Mr. Happy
Mr. Happy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lawful good doesn't mean lawful nice Very Happy

FMA style alchemy, a WiP
Linked technique list
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Naruto d20 Store
zen
Rookie Younin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Ninja Guy wrote:

Ummm that's mean he follows the law to do good, he's chaotic good my friend. According to D&D logic.
kp91

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Ninja Guy wrote:
Lawful Good (NOT lawful stupid) - I am the epitome of all that is good and honorable. Everyone trusts me because they would never believe I'd do anything dishonorable - and I wouldn't.

That doesn't mean that I can't stand up to unjust governments etc., as any system of law that doesn't promote the good of all is naught but a farce.

Ya, Zen is right. Batman is chaotic good (he does anything necesry to stop the bad guy, including breaking the law and the fact that he's a vigilante is another point).
Sweet Ninja Guy
ANBU Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why does he work with/uphold the law? He never just pounds on some mob boss he knows is guilty but he has absolutely no proof. But anyway - his honor code (no killing/no guns) qualifies him as lawful more than anything.
jmantyk
Mr. Happy
Mr. Happy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
chaotic Good, "Rebel"

A chaotic good character acts as his conscience directs him with little regard for what others expect of him. He makes his own way, but he?s kind and benevolent. He believes in goodness and right but has little use for laws and regulations. He hates it when people try to intimidate others and tell them what to do. He follows his own moral compass, which, although good, may not agree with that of society.

taken from d20 srd
chaotic good has it's own rules, batman kicks the crap out of people when breaking in without any form of warrent

FMA style alchemy, a WiP
Linked technique list
Sweet Ninja Guy
ANBU Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batman follows most of that - but read lawful good - all of that. Ever seen Batman Begins? - he refused to kill the murderer because the man hadn't been tried in a court yet - shows respect for the law. This of course ignores crazy psyco 80's Batman.

Rember - lawful alignment doesn't mean you follow every law to the letter - it means your world-view is more organized - less random etc. Now - Batman isn't up to the level of Paladin lawful good - that would be Superman.
zen
Rookie Younin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, so I say he is Neutral Good then.
IntOblivion
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feh. Does it matter what Batman has for alignment? Most people (both fiction and other) tend to be between alignments, so the alignment blocks there is aren't really that good. Though, you could use them as guidelines, and give the character a point in chaotic for every chaotic deed, etc. In the end you'll get the characters true alignment.
Jensik
Sharkbait

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody on the GiTP boards made an Advanced Alignment System that seems to work pretty well. Too bad it never really caught on.
Dreary_Angel
Genin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alignment are quite useless from my point of view.
I mean, i found silly to have a tag that says how you have to behave, you just play your char as you like: if you want to play someone nice on the surface but with an insane mind you can do it as you please, as well as if you want to play THE nice guy.
Alignments are just restrictives, and things like the dedect evil or spells like those can just be slightly changed and become something like "protection from harm" "detect hostility"... something like that...

P.S. i know this is quite OT and i ask for apologies, but i really couldn't help it...
DotonLizard
Banned or Something Like It

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to play Chaotic Evil sometimes.

Nothing like a Chaos berserker running down the streets Eh? Very Happy
kp91

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreary_Angel wrote:
I mean, i found silly to have a tag that says how you have to behave, you just play your char as you like: if you want to play someone nice on the surface but with an insane mind you can do it as you please, as well as if you want to play THE nice guy.
Alignments are just restrictives, and things like the dedect evil or spells like those can just be slightly changed and become something like "protection from harm" "detect hostility"... something like that...

P.S. i know this is quite OT and i ask for apologies, but i really couldn't help it...

Thing is, most characters are going to act certain ways. If you help at a animal shelter, you more than likely aren't going to beat dogs. Plus, it gives the heroes more a feeling of doing good. If they didn't have alignments, I can gaurentee, every player I ever played with, would never do what the GM said, go to the job, then kill and rob the guy, then say they were righteous heroes (Hell, I think there's been 1 game this hasn't happened in, even with lawful good characters. And I play online so every time it's with different people, and this still happens.). And, it's so the priest can't kill the man walking the old lady across the street.
Dreary_Angel
Genin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kp91 wrote:
Thing is, most characters are going to act certain ways. If you help at a animal shelter, you more than likely aren't going to beat dogs. Plus, it gives the heroes more a feeling of doing good. If they didn't have alignments, I can gaurentee, every player I ever played with, would never do what the GM said, go to the job, then kill and rob the guy, then say they were righteous heroes (Hell, I think there's been 1 game this hasn't happened in, even with lawful good characters. And I play online so every time it's with different people, and this still happens.). And, it's so the priest can't kill the man walking the old lady across the street.

Well, i assume most of rpg players are people with a little skill in giving a personality to they char and being able to act that type of person, that's why i find alignments useless.

I sometimes forget there are more than a few players who just get lost if they do not have precise guidelines on how to behave in almost every situation.

I'm not saying you or the ppl you play with are of this kind, i was just validating your tesis, but just for some kind of ppl, IMHO.
Harmless Penguin
Chuunin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I doubt anyone else here has even seen it, but Hackmaster actually had a rather impressive numerical alignment system and wheel even with rules for sliding further and further from one alignment to another or multiple others. While the majority of the system was good ol' tongue in cheek fun but there were a few gems worth using in my opinion. And the alignment system is useful for certain classes in D&D such as the paladin; after all, their role is essentially that of combative zealots. It's really not much of a stretch for some to slowly become inquisitorial and paranoid rather than a sudden drastic change and deciding you're gonna dedicate your life to evil =P.
TheDeadlySeven
Genin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LE, becuase i follow laws good sir...I also make them.
ekjohnson98
Chuunin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lawful neutral

because i have to remain 10000% gray, the scales of justice have to be even, no matter what i want or care about when its all said and done my goods and bads must add up to 0.
ekjohnson98
Chuunin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreary_Angel wrote:

the deal w/ allignments tho is that it keeps players from being fucking psychopathic, playing one session as a "lawful good" character then because they are in a bad mood they play another one as "neutral evil"... the alignments dont limit characters in what they can do (with some exceptions) they just remind the players that their character feels x about situation y and so forth.
kp91

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekjohnson98 wrote:
Dreary_Angel wrote:

the deal w/ allignments tho is that it keeps players from being fucking psychopathic, playing one session as a "lawful good" character then because they are in a bad mood they play another one as "neutral evil"... the alignments dont limit characters in what they can do (with some exceptions) they just remind the players that their character feels x about situation y and so forth.

Perfectly said.
ekjohnson98
Chuunin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kp91 wrote:
ekjohnson98 wrote:
Dreary_Angel wrote:

Perfectly said.

the only exceptions of course are paladins and monks and the like... but a chaotic monk is called a commoner and a chaotic paladin is called a jackass, or a blackguard if its an evil paladin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> RPG General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: