Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Just a few Feat Ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Derp
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Just a few Feat Ideas Reply with quote

Here are some Ideas I had about feats. I think they make things a bit more balanced, or in some cases make more sense. These aren't in any particular order.

Advanced Study is just silly; I'd personally take it out XD, no offense.
Add the appropriate ability score at 13 as a prerequisite for chakra affinity, or at least have it be higher than the type that suffers the penalty.
No offense, but I personally find the Rank feats (Genin, Chuunin, and Jounin) to be a waste, just give characters a license and a label, don't make people waste a feat!
Add some kind of Str Requirement to Rock Lee's Feat (Determined Genius/Chakra Coils Disorder), probably 13 Str.
Increase the Prerequisites of the save switchers (Force of Personality, Insightful Reflexes), and add one for fortitude (IE. Brutish Fortitude, You may apply your Strength modifier to Fortitude saves instead of Constitution.).
The Prerequisites for the Genius Nin feat should be a least 15 in the appropriate Ability, if not 17!
Fuse the Improved Combat Expertise/Power Attack feats together with their respective bases, so people don't have to waste a feat on something (At least I think) they should get anyway.
Personally, I think the other races (That's what Bloodlines are for!) are silly, but who am I to complain, if people don't like them, disallow them!
Although this isn't a feat, I also think the Vehicles are just wrong! Have you ever seen a car or motorcycle in Naruto? I don't think so.
Weapon Adaptation Training should have a prerequisite of 13 Int and the Weapon Focus Feat or class ability.

That's it for now, there are some more things I'd like to write about, but the belong in other posts! Thanks for your time, and let me know what you think about some of these changes.
Athildur
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, interesting opinion. Below what I think of your ideas. Please try to understand that my criticism is not meant to tear you apart or anything. this is just my opinion on the matters presented. Nothing more, nothing less. If it comes off too strong for your liking, my apologies.

About Advanced Study: I'm not sure, haven't actually used it or seen it in use, so I can't comment on usefulness/sillyness. It seems to be ok to me. Learning higher ranked techniques is generally something not easy tot ake advantage of. Learning techniques of intermediate-high ranks is difficult, even with the appropriate character level, due to Learn DC, so I don't think the +2 to learn is that big an upgrade. It's quite nice, actually.

The thing about 'Affinity' is that it is inborn. It has nothing to do with learning whatsoever, and so cannot truly bear any prerequisites.

The rank feats are not required to attain a rank (as I understand it). You can be a Jounin, with appropriate Title a, but not have the feat. The feat just serves as a bonus and license for people who have received some degree of training to be of a level that more or less parallels that rank.
edit: apparently not license. (I would agree that license should be granted when someone attains a rank).
Oh, it could also be that the Genin, Chuunin and Jounin ranks denote the expertise a nin has taken onto him-/herself. This is often recorded. The skill bonus could represent this focus.

Chakra Coils Disorder - same story and Affinity. It's a DISORDER. How can a disorder have a pre-requisite in the form of ability scores. That's silly. It's a sickness. Genetic, like bloodlines.

I don't know about the prereqs for the save switchers, but both Force of Personality and Insightful Reflexes are logical. One can see that a strong force of personality can affect a person's mental resistance, or that insight into explosives and placement and such can effectively benefit one's reflexes. I fail to see such a connection between Strength and Fortitude. You're as likely to be stricken with a disease if you're well developped, muscle-wise, than if you are of average posture and strength.

What do you mean with Improved Combat Expertise and Power Attack and their 'base'?

(Below I state what I believe. I don't know what Frankto's ideas on the matter were, or why he added or made what he did, so I can't speak for him.)
Races were added specifically because people from different countries are different. Differences in weather conditions, geographical location and upbringing cause people to have different inborn abilities. Bloodlines are a layer on top of that.

Vehicles are an optional feature. They're there for those people that would like to host or play a campaign set in a modern world. There are also guns available I believe (I saw thorium bullets, I believe, so presumably there are guns statted).
And there are a lot of techniques in the main file that were never in the naruto world. I don't hear you complaining about that.

Weapon Adaptation Training, I have no clue. I don;t really know the feat, but going from the name, Int of 12-13 wouldn't be a terrible prerequisite.

Last edited by Athildur on Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
kp91
PM Frankto for a Special Title

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chakra Coils penalty is bad enough, It doesn't need a prerequisite. You can never learn anything except Taijutsu.
I wish you'd explain more about advanced study.
Genin, Chuunin, and Jounin grant a licence, wealth bonus, and a skill point bonus. It's worth a feat, but even if not, quite a few GMM's give them as bonus feats.
Genius Nin, to avoid the prerequistie, was already SEVERELY weakened. It's decent now. Don't forget, being first level makes it very difficult to have a score over 17. But, previously, the feat gave 1 higher rank in all techniques (and I believe the pre was 16 then. Less bonus, less prereq).
Power Attack is a Main File feat, you can't combine them as it's not a game-specific feat (unless d20 Modern doesn't have it, but it is in DnD I remember)
People complained that you could only be human and that made it boring.
1. Several games have been set modern times/there are modern techniques. 2. Naruto is set in a modern world. Car's aren't stealthy and ninja seem to not like technology, but looks. There is a Gameboy in the 3rd movie, a battle ship in the 2nd. There are ninja com devices, walkie talkies with a mile range. There are advanced computer/security systems (Kabuto watches the body transfer). There are advanced medical technologies, despite there being medical techniques. Ninjas just don't use technology, for the same reason people hate guns in world's where there are magic.
Weapon Adaption shouldn't require Weapon Focus, as it switches any bonus to a weapon. Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, ect. Besides, there are many feats you can take ahead of time to get out of the way, but you may not receive a good bonus for until later. Plus, some people won't even have any of the feats. It says it only disallows Classes that already Specify, you could change Weaponmaster's feats/abilities if I understand correctly.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is why I don't let random people take up my project. Close, but no cigar.

Actually, no. Not close at all. For whoever cares, this is actually borderline offensive.

NO. Absolutely not.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
Mr. Derp
Genin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sincerely apologize for some of my comments, I admit, I was significantly out of my place to say some of the things I said, and looking over you, I would have to agree with what you say. On the other hand, I do think there should be some (higher in some cases), prereqs for some feats, and I don't think I was out of my place saying that (Specifically Genius Nin, Chakra Affinity, and Rock Lee's feat). As far as them being inborn, Rock Lee's feat already had an Ability Prereq, and It makes sense (To me) to have the 13 ability bit for Chakra Affinity, setting it further apart from Genius Nin. Once again, I apologize for overstepping my boundaries and suggesting house-rulings to be forced in the Main File.

Maya Culpa, Maya Culpa, Maya Maxima Culpa.
Elon
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll talk about the feats I always use.

Genius Nin: the fact I always had genius ninja in my campaigns made me think that people love Sasuke and Neji. The prereq on 16 is fine, as long as it cuts your points enough to prevent a multi-ability ninja.

Determined Genius: how in the hell you should need str 13? Only because Lee is strong? I don't see why a little girl could suffer this disorder, or an old man. Beign affected by this illness doesn't makes you stronger per se. If you could explain it better...

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Mr. Derp
Genin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so confused about the Genius Nin Feat! I re-downloaded the file several times, just to make sure I had the most up-to-date version (and I did/do), but Genius Nin seems a little odd. On the table, it shows Genius Nin as having a Prereq of 16, but on the feat itself it says 13, and I always go with what is said on the feat itself (I didn't even look at the Table XD). I thought it would be a good idea to raise the Prereq from 13 to at least 15. I chose 15 for 2 reasons, 1: It helps force people who take it to give up some of their versatility, and makes them weigh the costs and benefits of taking the genius Nin feat, and 2: 15 is an odd number, so they don't get any extra mileage (Besides the Feat) out of having that kind of score. If they only wanted to have +2, they would only have it at 14, and this just encourages people to get that +3 Mod without forcing them to spend enough points to get to it, if all they want is a feat. This why, at least I believe that Wizards has so many feats with Prereqs at odd ability scores.
As far as Rock Lee goes, it just feels like they should be strong to have this feat. The name Determined Genius/Chakra Coils Disorder implies to me that they are determined to be strong, and thus have at least a moderate base level of strength. If it where just Chakra Coils Disorder, I would agree with you wholeheartedly and in fact suggest removing the 13 Wis Prereq instead of arguing to add a Str Prereq, but as it stands, I just feel that it makes more sense for it to be Str required instead of Wis.
On the topic of Advanced Study, I'm a bit confused. The way I read it suggests that you only get the +2 Bonus when learning a technique 2 levels higher than normal, but it seemed suggested earlier that it gives the bonus all the time. I hope someone could clear this up for me.
As for Weapon Adaptation, my reasoning for increasing the Int Prereq from 12 to 13 is the same as having an odd Prereq for other things mentioned when speaking about Genius Nin. I also admit that the Weapon Focus Prereq for it was just plain stupid on my part.
I really want to make this into a productive topic; instead of what it turned into (I apologize again).
Elon
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think the 13 wis req on Determined Genius is right. It simbolizes you've reached the needed experience in your life, or the point of view, to surpass a disorder that, otherwise, would have ended your ninja career. Shows that you are strong . That's my point of view.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: