Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

The Mangekyou Effect
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Naruto d20 Epics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revan619
ANBU Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simplist answer to the discussion is weather or not the DM agrees with the ruling, We've always played with a permanent -1 because of how overpowering the techniques can be if done correctly, and because we all watch the show, so we like to keep the rules as close as possible.

Whereas others may not agree and think a permanent -1 is overpowered when all its doing is stopping spamming of the jutsu and can be counteracted by putting more skill points in spot
"Ahhh we been rumbled!!!! quick Messa flush the weed!!!" - The Kai of Konoha
ekjohnson98
Chuunin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revan619 wrote:
The simplist answer to the discussion is weather or not the DM agrees with the ruling, We've always played with a permanent -1 because of how overpowering the techniques can be if done correctly, and because we all watch the show, so we like to keep the rules as close as possible.

Whereas others may not agree and think a permanent -1 is overpowered when all its doing is stopping spamming of the jutsu and can be counteracted by putting more skill points in spot

you have a valid point about the potential for over use. i think these jutsu at lower lvls are fine when a -1 penalty means more, but as my character hit epics, i found it easier to eat a -1 or 2. there was a point, however where i was in dire need of the MS techniques. (in the campaign akatsuki is replaced by characters w/ tailed beasts inside of them all ECL 22+)

the party was facing the 9-tails, attempting to capture him alive and seal away his chakra, when he enraged and then manifested the kyuubi. he would have ripped us to shreds if not for amaratsu, which held him at by for the group to get some distance, followed immedately after by Tsukuyomi which was able to weaken him enough to retreat and allow us to fight another day.

the point is, while these techniques are powerful, they come at a high cost already, and while yes, at epic levles these techniques are spammable, a creative GM should be able to come up with new and itneresting ways to confront the tools the players have aquired instead of just saying "OMG that's overpowered, im chaning the penalty to be permanent".

also, at epic lvls, vastly more powerful techniques can be obtained then the MS ones. the only real gaming threat these techs pose is between the lvls of 16 and 20, when they can be a bit OP.
hastur
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revan619 wrote:

Yeah, right, especially considering that the penalty also applies to attack rolls, defense, skill checks etc. Confused
One in - turn an enemy's hate.
------------------------------------------------
Revan619
ANBU Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well to be fair Itachi was unable to dodge some of sasukes hits which he could of flicked away if he was in better condition, which may or may not be because of overuse of the MS.

To be completely honist I do not quite agree with making it permanent with how underpowered they actually are, by this I mean, they are stated to be the Ultimate Ninjutsu and Genjutsu whereas in the Book they are by far not, if they were then yes it should defintely be permanent if only atleast to spot, with the weakening effect temporary (the -1 to AC and attacks)
"Ahhh we been rumbled!!!! quick Messa flush the weed!!!" - The Kai of Konoha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Naruto d20 Epics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: