Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Why does Reputation work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sebsmith
Chuunin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Why does Reputation work? Reply with quote

I understand how reputation works, but the class progressions don't seem to make a whole lot of sense. For example, Ibiki has a reputation of 11 but Gai's is only 2. It would be nice if somebody could explain the logic used for coming up with which classes get what reputation progression? I seem to be missing something important, thanks.
Keldon_Draconian
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess:

Strong Heroes have a good base attack bonus. Advanced classes based on strong heroes (Such as ESS or Taijutsu Master) have good BAB as well.

Charismatic Heroes have a good reputation score. So, classes related to charismatic heroes...
sebsmith
Chuunin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's the case, should more time be given when making and review classes to what their reputation progression is? For instance, blinkstrike doesn't even have a progression. It seems like it could be a useful mechanism, for Younin selection if nothing else, but right now it only gives you a general idea of where someone has been focusing their time.
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why would Blinkstriking give you a reputation? If you are a class that focuses on being in a prominent position of authority, such as police, medics, etc - you would have a higher reputation than the spy that scouts fromt he shadows or blinks in and out to kill his enemies before they can remember him.

Younin Selection? Younin would be the ones to not WANT a reputation.

Please explain why you feel this is the case. Right now I fail to see what your problem with the current reputation system is.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reputation is being the Yellow Flash. It's being called Shinobigami by your enemies.

Reputation is having holes drilled in your head and a cold stare that makes your enemies wet their pants.

If you consider Reputation being important to a Younin, then clearly you have no idea what the Younin is.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
hastur
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly though reputation is one of two things I really dislike about modern (second beeing Wealth system, which might be more realistic, but is unwieldy to use IMO). I mean, damn it shouldn't an in-game mechanic. You don't become "Yellow Flash", "Shinobigami" or "Saanin" because you take levels in class X that gives million-bazzilion Reputation. You become one fo those because you did something that earned you such fame. In other words, while I don't claim to have any experience at beeing a GM, I think that it would make more sense to ignore Reputation as a stat, and instead let the GM work out reputation by actions that players take while playing.
One in - turn an enemy's hate.
------------------------------------------------
Athildur
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume Reputation to be the ability to which a character can (and does) announce his exploitations and goes to lengths to make his efforts known to the world.

Younin do some excellent things, worthy of reputation, but they have no inclination to tell anyone about this, or have it known to the general populace.

Whereas some others may be naturally inclined to make sure their exploits are somewhat better known to the general populace, thereby increasing his 'popularity' or 'reputation' amongst them.

At least, that's the basic way I see it. Some classes naturally lead to higher Rep (a charismatic person gains a reputation because there's something about him that makes people divert attention to him, something that radiates from him. Whereas others are just one of the crowd.)
sebsmith
Chuunin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry that when I said reputation could be a useful mechanism for Younin selection, I was unclear. I was trying to say it could be one of the stats looked at before you can become a Younin. This does not mean the higher it is the more likely I think you can become a Younin. In fact, it might make sense to require one to have a negative reputation score since the feat Low Profile exists.
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not neccessarily - one can have a high reputation and be a Younin. Usually they are referred to as the 'legendary supposedly dead shinobi that haunts one's dreams' Rolling Eyes

And do notice that the GM is free to modify reputation at his leisure - so if his players are doing something that makes them well known, the GM is free to modify their reputations appropriately.
ekjohnson98
Chuunin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebsmith wrote:
If that's the case, should more time be given when making and review classes to what their reputation progression is? For instance, blinkstrike doesn't even have a progression. It seems like it could be a useful mechanism, for Younin selection if nothing else, but right now it only gives you a general idea of where someone has been focusing their time.

i think he means that taking blinkstrike or other classes w/ low or no reputation progression is good for younnin
ekjohnson98
Chuunin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hastur wrote:
Honestly though reputation is one of two things I really dislike about modern (second beeing Wealth system, which might be more realistic, but is unwieldy to use IMO). I mean, damn it shouldn't an in-game mechanic. You don't become "Yellow Flash", "Shinobigami" or "Saanin" because you take levels in class X that gives million-bazzilion Reputation. You become one fo those because you did something that earned you such fame. In other words, while I don't claim to have any experience at beeing a GM, I think that it would make more sense to ignore Reputation as a stat, and instead let the GM work out reputation by actions that players take while playing.

i usually ignore the reputation stat and just have other npc's recognize characters based off of accomplishments, such as a chuunin exam fight, or delivering the medical supplies to the troops at the front lines. that is one stat that i do not pay any attention to for various reasons, manly the ones you mentaioned.
kp91
PM Frankto for a Special Title

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post & necromancy. Double the failure in half the time.
Smitty
Rookie Younin

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen.

Signature image far, far too wide.

KAKASHI UN/DEATH POOL
(by Chapter)
KP91- Six Chapters
jmantyk - Five Chapters
IntOblivion - Seven Chapters
KonanOrigamiUser - Eight Chapters
golentan - Nine Chapters
Felix_Zyphros
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankto wrote:
Reputation is being the Yellow Flash. It's being called Shinobigami by your enemies.

Reputation is having holes drilled in your head and a cold stare that makes your enemies wet their pants.

If you consider Reputation being important to a Younin, then clearly you have no idea what the Younin are.

Corrected. Wink
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

? Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

kp91

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix_Zyphros wrote:
Frankto wrote:

If you consider Reputation being important to a Younin, then clearly you have no idea what the Younin are.

Corrected. Wink

Actually, his was correct too (just like you could say "you have no idea what the blinkstrike is" or "no idea what the jounin is")

Used in a full sentence:
"The younin/blinkstrike/jounin is a class of ninja that uses stealth/speed/mastery of ninja arts to defeat his enemies."
ekjohnson98
Chuunin

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smitty wrote:
Amen.

double posting about my double post... now this is getting ridiculous.
kp91

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smitty didn't double post FYI.
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, give me a damn break. Didn't this topic die two months ago? And give me a damn break - when you get this far into the Dead Zone, no one freaking gives a damn whether you use the reputation stat or not. You're free, as GM, to ignore all such things at your leisure. Just as you are equally entitled to add Taint, Sanity Rules, and Vampires to any given campaign.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: