Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Naruto World/City Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwmpine
Chuunin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Naruto World/City Maps Reply with quote

Has anyone built City Maps for Naruto? Like the main village cities?? or am I pretty much on my own to make it?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made an expanded world but thats as far as it's gotten, we just rely on our Naruto canon knowledge for village layouts.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Sengoku System
Me: the hizoku attacks you with his yari, your actions?

Max: I evade with a 13 and counter attack with a 1,000... *pause for silence*
jwmpine
Chuunin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...I didnt know there was naruto knowledge on all the villages layouts...For the leaf village we got games already amde with some good detail but ya lol
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to the last two chapters I believe.. you know, when they showed all 5 kage and their villages.

As a side note, I made a whole village layout (government, people, descriptions, etc.) for all villages.

Sengoku System

ssjgokillo
Genin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Shun, would you be willing to share your village layout? It sounds pretty interesting.
jwmpine
Chuunin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that be great to have xD...But has anyone actually like built a map layout of all the villages..with roads, shops ect?
Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put it up sometime today. Some are more detailed then others.

Sengoku System

Jensik
Sharkbait

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwmpine wrote:
Yeah, that be great to have xD...But has anyone actually like built a map layout of all the villages..with roads, shops ect?

My real question is this: Why do you need it?

Sometimes certain details bog down the game and overload the GM with pointless work. In fact I read a very interesting article on building complexity without complication earlier today which you can find here. I highly recommend you read it if you're currently running a game.

In both of my ND20 campaigns (one where I'm a player and the other of which I GM) there aren't any maps of anything, and in my opinion we don't need one. We know where things are, and exact locations of things won't add to the story so we don't bother.

In fact the only game I've ever been involved in that we had maps is the 4E game I'm running right now, and the only reason we have maps in that game is because one of the players is an engineer obsessed with maps. (and he's the one drawing them)
Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think thats why we don't do maps of villages/cities/towns etc. But it's nice to know the styles and obvious differences of villages and their population.

Sengoku System

jwmpine
Chuunin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...Because if you want to do a real roleplaying game, where you use little figers and use the 2by2 squares or w/e It's nice to have a detailed map drawn out for the GM..So when you lay it down for your players u can make it more interesting..

If a GM is getting bog downed by maps or infomation..The person shouldn't be a GM, The idea of a GM in my mind is somone who is prepared for anything their players. Not in the sense that they are always prepared to kill them, but prepared in a way to surprises or add excitment to the game..

Player fails a search, they get hit by a trap..play finds the trap, but accsidently trips it...being prepared for what happens next is always great thats why maps are a good feature..

Plus if you doing somthing like...o idk...a invasion of a city, you can hand out, pencil drawn maps, to your players saying heres what this person has given you for a map...They can than go and use it and make their own path..Instead of this boring phrase..

You go down a alley, and you end up in the court yard, you see a bunch of different alleys, and a few people on the norht and south side of the street..You see where u need to go..blah blah blah...

Instead I want my players to look at their map, and be like okay, we gone down this path and atken the left here, we need to go up and take a right. So than I go ahead and give them details and throw out some guards they should either avoid or take out silently...

For me, being able to better visialize the city, or the dungeon, or woods w/e it just makes the game all that much more fun. (Plus I'm hosting a big Naruto game, where I'll have a bunch of GM's doing missions for players...if it all works out ill have 40 or 50 people playing, and eventually their be big battles against lol...) Your like crazy right...Yes IM crazy when it comes to hosting games I like to challenge meself hahah!

So seriously...Noone ever thought, lets pull some grid paper out and draw the Mist VIllage out?
Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not that it hasn't ben thought of, alot of us just like to go with canon and split areas by districts for example. Covering something that has never been shown is a pain in the ass to say the least.

You can still do like you said above, it just takes more dailogue and on the spot map making (grid-wise).

Sengoku System

Dionon
Chuunin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like maps personally, but they aren't always needed... BUT... In the ND20 campaign I ran (I've since turned it over after we hit Epic to another player) We didn't have any maps, but we also made the mistake in thinking that all the Villages had nearly the same layout... Which I've found out after reading the Manga from start to current is completely wrong... The only similarity I saw is the shape and position of the Kage's offices.

Honestly, I wouldn't want a detailed map of anything, but a general map of the Villages would be nice.

Jensik
Sharkbait

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I was just making a suggestion. No need to take it so personally.

You know what... I'm not even going to bother.
jwmpine
Chuunin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'll have to pull out the d20 grids and start building...nothings more fun than spending a few days drawing a layout of a city xD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: