Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Portfolio of Prestige: Volume III at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Next Update (For When You Buy Me A New TV)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4/6 elements complete.

All of them are generic techniques, mind you. Rank 10 or rank 14 is either a 40-ft. radius burst or a 60-ft. cone, rank 12 is an energy missile type.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
Felix_Zyphros
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord_Infinitus wrote:
but Keldon is right, 4th edition is not suit to be an RPG, but more a more a tabletop game, whatsoever, and I am not very interested in those...

I find the irony of this line hilarious in the fact that DnD evolved from a pencil and paper wargame where you controlled a single person rather than an army. It's like saying an aircraft carrier is not fit to be a ship because it's too big.... But then again, I might just be rambling on about this due to lack of sleep.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

? Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

Infinitus
Holiday Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix_Zyphros wrote:
Lord_Infinitus wrote:
but Keldon is right, 4th edition is not suit to be an RPG, but more a more a tabletop game, whatsoever, and I am not very interested in those...

I find the irony of this line hilarious in the fact that DnD evolved from a pencil and paper wargame where you controlled a single person rather than an army. It's like saying an aircraft carrier is not fit to be a ship because it's too big.... But then again, I might just be rambling on about this due to lack of sleep.

it is probably a point of view thingy. let me describe:

It is more like saying a weapon is there to kill people, not to protect them.

You can often play your PnP-RPG game as a tabletop game, that is if your rules are simple enough.

Well playing your role like in an actor in the theatre means roleplaying for me. Thus calling a rpg an tabletop game, means I see it as an perversion of the original intend.
But true is, that it probably has a wider audience.
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabletop superceeds RPG (or vice-versa) in level.

You see, D&D of ANY edition is an RPG. The objective, at least somewhat intended, is to roleplay a character, become invested in a persona that you will represent as challenges are thrown your way.
Combat, stats and powers are added to provide rules for encounters, mostly combat, so that the RPG game also has action, which is something that most gamers will undeniably want as well.

Tabletop refers to controlling one or more models on a battlefield representation during a game.

Now, D&D is an RPG AND a tabletop game. It's effectively a Tabletop RPG (perhaps also Pen & Paper), because it still incorporates the many multitudes of roleplaying a character, but now chooses to give battle a new form, namely on a grid, where things are more easily shown.

To be honest, gamers everywhere have been making D&D tabletop since day 1. Even if you don't actually use models, everyone keeps maps to show where people are and moves them around. That has never changed. I've never been to a single game where everyone just sort of keeps stuff in their head, or where everyone just has to guess where everything is.

You've been playing tabletop ever since you set eyes on D&D. Don't you forget that. What makes an RPG is how effective and invested you can be in roleplaying your character.

The fact that 4th edition chose to simplify the combat rules so that less time could be spent on figuring out combat and thus more time could be spent on the actual roleplaying puts more emphasis on that. Don't hold it against the game because you would rather have more complicated rules and, quite frankly, less interesting characters (I find every character having their own array of powers much to my liking. There is a good reason I've never really played a fighter in 3e, since all you really do is whack things with hammers. Perhaps occasionally trip or disarm someone or something...), while still having the EXACT SAME RPG BASE. Because most of the rules focus solely and exclusively on combat.

*/rant*

Now let's get back on topic, k?
Killercloud
Rookie Younin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athildur wrote:
Tabletop superceeds RPG (or vice-versa) in level.

You see, D&D of ANY edition is an RPG. The objective, at least somewhat intended, is to roleplay a character, become invested in a persona that you will represent as challenges are thrown your way.
Combat, stats and powers are added to provide rules for encounters, mostly combat, so that the RPG game also has action, which is something that most gamers will undeniably want as well.

Tabletop refers to controlling one or more models on a battlefield representation during a game.

Now, D&D is an RPG AND a tabletop game. It's effectively a Tabletop RPG (perhaps also Pen & Paper), because it still incorporates the many multitudes of roleplaying a character, but now chooses to give battle a new form, namely on a grid, where things are more easily shown.

To be honest, gamers everywhere have been making D&D tabletop since day 1. Even if you don't actually use models, everyone keeps maps to show where people are and moves them around. That has never changed. I've never been to a single game where everyone just sort of keeps stuff in their head, or where everyone just has to guess where everything is.

You've been playing tabletop ever since you set eyes on D&D. Don't you forget that. What makes an RPG is how effective and invested you can be in roleplaying your character.

The fact that 4th edition chose to simplify the combat rules so that less time could be spent on figuring out combat and thus more time could be spent on the actual roleplaying puts more emphasis on that. Don't hold it against the game because you would rather have more complicated rules and, quite frankly, less interesting characters (I find every character having their own array of powers much to my liking. There is a good reason I've never really played a fighter in 3e, since all you really do is whack things with hammers. Perhaps occasionally trip or disarm someone or something...), while still having the EXACT SAME RPG BASE. Because most of the rules focus solely and exclusively on combat.

*/rant*

Now let's get back on topic, k?

Sorry just had to point out one thing, I have been in a group that's done both 3.0/.5 and 4.0 and also plays Naruto D20 and such. 95% of the time we never even use a map (As I am GM and FAR to lazy to make one up at the time) the only time I use them is for tactical needs...or if I am feeling lazy and make someone else do it. I personally believe that RPGs can be easily played without a grid or a table (as my room has neither) however, games like Warhammer (40k or Fantasy) can't nor can 4.0 it just takes way more forethought, playing and you still need a map. at least in your head. damn grids.

however, I also agree with the end point, topic back on. maybe continue in a general D20 topic.

I will have my Vengeance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, the Elemental ninjutsu have been completed.

Basically it was Energy Ball, Energy Cone and Energy Missile with 6 different elements, repeated each time.

Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy christmas, bitches.

UPDATED.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: