Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Character Builds - What you do, and why!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is you can never please everybody, yes point buy works well for a few high scores with a bunch of average and one or two below. But it's a problem for some players who want the "chance" to have 16+ all the way down, which isn't possible with 32 point buy.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Sengoku System
Me: the hizoku attacks you with his yari, your actions?

Max: I evade with a 13 and counter attack with a 1,000... *pause for silence*
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shun wrote:
The issue is you can never please everybody, yes point buy works well for a few high scores with a bunch of average and one or two below. But it's a problem for some players who want the "chance" to have 16+ all the way down, which isn't possible with 32 point buy.

Well, yeah. The Chance to have 16+ all the way down means that they want to eschew a Fair System for a Random System. That doesn't change the fact that Random Systems are NOT fair by any means.

Now, can we get back on track to Character Builds, which are mostly non-random things like Class Progressions anyways?
Dairius_Chi
Situationally Useful

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait, i just remembered teh solution i came up with for my group (it wasnt really accepted there though as it usually led to way high pwoered games)

have everyone roll for stats, add up what point buy youd need to get those, then take teh highest and give everyone that pt buy, teh person who set teh bar can either keep his rolled stats or rebuy them

that would technically make everyone happy except those who want realistically average stats, in which case they could makea deal with teh gm to trade extra points for other benefits, maybe a bonus feat, higher starting wealth, special items etc.
SirShadow
Biffu Aroi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point-buy system is nice, but it gives too much opportunity for dump stats. But that isn't so much an issue in ND20 since practically every stat is important.
Athildur
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, let's return to character builds. And assume that character builds are focused around characters made with the standard 36-point buy.
Naruto20D20
Demon Carrier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to get things back on topic...
So far we've seen 2 Shinobi Swordsmen centered builds, a Ninja Scout, and a Taijutsu Master.

Let's get some less represented stuff in here, aye?
In your opinion, what would be the best build for:

Summoner?
Smart 3/Shinobi Adept 3/Summoner 7/Elementalist 7?

Pretty straight forward. Go for a high Int and Con. Having a decent Cha is nice for setting things up for your summon, but not necessary. I would recommend getting some sealing for the Imp Summon scrolls.

EDIT:
Smart 3/Shinobi Adept 3/Summoner 7/Devastator 5/(Technique Analyst 2?)

Force of Nature + High cost summonings? 'nuff said.
(Thanks, Jensik!)

Squad captain?
Fast 3/Squad Captain 10/Genjutsu Master 7?

High Cha and Dex (Weapon Finesse!). Con would be next.

Would be nice to be able to get Ninja Operation Counter and it be effective (Yay for Mettle AND Imp Evasion!), but that would cause some crazy M.A.D. (Multiple Attribute Deficiency) issues. Ninja Op Co also has 0 reputation gain! Sad

Liberty Prime for President 2012: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=298Cw3_qGwE

Last edited by Naruto20D20 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Jensik
Sharkbait

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That second one would actually be a very nice support build. I'll have to experiment with it a bit.

The first, however, seems a bit underwhelming. The Summoner class IMO doesn't provide any real synergy with Elementalist. Go Devistator instead.

EDIT: I just realized you intended to focus on summoning there. In that case Elementalist is the poor choice, but seeing as I tend not to use summons, I don't really have an alternative.
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naruto20D20 wrote:
Well, to get things back on topic...
So far we've seen 2 Shinobi Swordsmen centered builds, a Ninja Scout, and a Taijutsu Master.

Let's get some less represented stuff in here, aye?
In your opinion, what would be the best build for:

Summoner?
Smart 3/Shinobi Adept 3/Summoner 7/Elementalist 7?

Pretty straight forward. Go for a high Int and Con. Having a decent Cha is nice for setting things up for your summon, but not necessary. I would recommend getting some sealing for the Imp Summon scrolls.

Squad captain?
Fast 3/Squad Captain 10/Genjutsu Master 7?

High Cha and Dex (Weapon Finesse!). Con would be next.

Would be nice to be able to get Ninja Operation Counter and it be effective (Yay for Mettle AND Imp Evasion!), but that would cause some crazy M.A.D. (Multiple Attribute Deficiency) issues. Ninja Op Co also has 0 reputation gain! Sad

This may sound odd but my recomendation is dedicated hero in place of elementalist. It'll give you access to more skill points to make your life as a summoner easier, a possibly higher chakra pool and reserve, along with better chakra control to convert, should you need to. If that doesn't work for you then you could always add more levels from smart hero or even ninja scout there are several possibilities here so no one is right or wrong depending on how you want the build to be.
Naruto20D20
Demon Carrier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jensik wrote:
That second one would actually be a very nice support build. I'll have to experiment with it a bit.

The first, however, seems a bit underwhelming. The Summoner class IMO doesn't provide any real synergy with Elementalist. Go Devistator instead.

EDIT: I just realized you intended to focus on summoning there. In that case Elementalist is the poor choice, but seeing as I tend not to use summons, I don't really have an alternative.

I agree about Elementalist, but you don't really have a lot of good choices if you're wanting to specialize Summoner IMO. I was thinking Technique Analyst might actually be better.

Though Devastator 5 for Force of Nature would be ridiculous... Actually, I will edit that. Good idea. Now to find out if the use of Meta-Chakra feats while FoN is active is permitted!

Hito Hyuga wrote:
This may sound odd but my recomendation is dedicated hero in place of elementalist. It'll give you access to more skill points to make your life as a summoner easier, a possibly higher chakra pool and reserve, along with better chakra control to convert, should you need to. If that doesn't work for you then you could always add more levels from smart hero or even ninja scout there are several possibilities here so no one is right or wrong depending on how you want the build to be.

Honestly, I hate the basic classes. I do agree skill points are nice, but the talent options aren't comparable to those of Advanced/Prestige. Ninja Scout I can agree with because of Hide and Plain Sight (Summon then Hide!), but you have to be careful not to suffer MAD. You'll need a good Str or Dex (Dex being the better choice probably) to make use of Sneak Attack. Your summoning can get Track I believe (or it's something like Scent + Survival), so I don't know if getting it is optimal.

Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually there is a build I'm working on, as well

Ninjutsu/Taijutsu

Fast Hero 3/Ninja Scout 10/Elementalist 7

I was thinking of squeezing in Shinobi adept but I'm not sure I'd want to lose out on epic shinobi adept levels or not. Pretty much a basic ninja in terms of build but that's what he is, an everyday normal ninja who can possibly mess you up with a well-placed ninjutsu looking for ways to keep the advantage with ninjutsu while still being able to fight close-quarters should I start getting low on chakra.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimized build for Taijutsu/Ninjutsu is weaponized Ninjutsu. The absolute best results you can achieve with the combination is this:

Strong 3/Shinobi Adept 3/Sword Savant 7/Elementalist 7

Or if you insist on actual Taijutsu, this:

Strong 3/Taijutsu Master 4 and either Sword Savant 7/Elementalist 6 or Sword Savant 6/Elementalist 7. I recommend the former.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankto wrote:
Optimized build for Taijutsu/Ninjutsu is weaponized Ninjutsu. The absolute best results you can achieve with the combination is this:

Strong 3/Shinobi Adept 3/Sword Savant 7/Elementalist 7

Or if you insist on actual Taijutsu, this:

Strong 3/Taijutsu Master 4 and either Sword Savant 7/Elementalist 6 or Sword Savant 6/Elementalist 7. I recommend the former.

Those are interesting builds. I do use weapon-based ninjutsu but as I don't typically go through the sword classes (as nearly every NPC in my DMs games are swordsman) This is how I arrived at the build I posted as, suprisingly, it has great synergy for weapon-based ninjutsu. Though there is a game I'm going to be participating in that I might be able to use these.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't have to be a sword, or a weapon. If you don't mind 1d4 damage unarmed strikes, you can get that as well.

If you optimize well, you can get a +3 weapon, melee smash for +2, and Str 26 for 1d4+18 (counting strength ranks), +17 BAB (attack bonus +34, counting heightened chakra state).

Of course, it has nothing, nothing, on a pure build, but it's a very good synergist substitute.

Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true and it should be that way, if you've trained your whole life in nothing but swordsmanship, you'll be much better then someone who trained in swords and ninjutsu as they'd have to split the focus of training.
Naruto20D20
Demon Carrier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jensik wrote:

Squad Captain (Ninja Operation Counter)

Fast 3/Squad Captain 10/Ninja Operations 5/(2x Blinkstrike OR Ninja Scout)

16 Dex, Int, and Cha. 10 Str, Con, Wis.

Combat Defensive: Uncanny Dodge 1, Imp Evasion, Mettle, Ignore most conditions 4/day with AP, Remove most conditions off allies as ATK action, Tactical Expertise (Full-round action to grant +5 ATK or DEF to ~10 allies), Greater Technique Counter (+5 saves vs certain techniques to allies within 20).

Combat Offensive: Tenketsu Freeze, +3d6 Sneak Attack.

Utility: Force March, Aid Another +8, Plan, Swift Tracker, Trap Sense.

All the above is without the last two levels. Moderate base saves, defense, and bonus to attack. Your genjutsu and ninjutsu also have fairly nice scores to rely on. Your chakra and health will suffer from that low Con.

Might be interesting to try this build instead of Genjutsu Master, but this is kind of spreading it thin. Still, that's /a lot/ of nice bonuses from Ninja Op.

Revan619
ANBU Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I believe a Genjutsu build learning strength and speed ranks is a waste of time when they could of learned genjutsu instead. Plus A taijutsu master who also has strength and speed ranks would make the genjutsu users strength and speed ranks redundant beyond all belief and say if its pvp which all our games tend to be, within the same time frame the genjutsu master even with higher stats would not stand a chance seeing as they spend all their time learning taijutsu moves instead of genjutsu without having the supporting bab and class bonus o.0

Plus I must admit I do like the summoner builds, nothing more fun than riding giant monsters into battle
"Ahhh we been rumbled!!!! quick Messa flush the weed!!!" - The Kai of Konoha
SirShadow
Biffu Aroi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Genjutsu master probably could benefit from Speed Ranks since they help you win initiative--what a genjutsu user wants.

but yea, Strength ranks seem kinda pointless...
Jensik
Sharkbait

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirShadow wrote:
A Genjutsu master probably could benefit from Speed Ranks since they help you win initiative--what a genjutsu user wants.

Wait... what? Speed ranks don't affect your initiative. Perhaps maybe it's a house rule you used at some point? If so, try to refrain from confusing house rules with official rules while discussing optimization.
Naruto d20 Store
SirShadow
Biffu Aroi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz no I thought they also gave a bonus to initiative as well Def and Saves. My mistake.

Then again, bonuses to defense, reflex saves, and movement speed are also very good reasons to get it anyways.
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a build I've been running through my head for awhile now

Charismatic Hero 5/Fast Hero 5/Genjutsu Master 7/Shinobi Adept 3

This mostly will focus on stealth and deception at first as the goal of this was an infiltration-based ninja who can support his team should he be in battle and to keep things in his favor during said infiltration via Genjutsu and using the various skills (heavy focus in bluff and disguise for an emergency transformation along with a focus in Hide/Move Silently for the act of sneaking inside) taking a few of the talents from Charismatic Hero and putting them to good use once I'm in disguise waiting for the ambush or to leek information to my allies. I think this build covers that well though it requires a high Dex and Cha which will cause other stats to be somewhat lower, but that's the trade off for being a good support. I'm sure there are many other ways to make this build better but I try to not build uber unbeatable class combinations unless my GM specificly says that we will need to.

Last edited by Hito Hyuga on Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only 7 levels to Genjutsu Master. Cha 5/Fast 5 will give you a remarkably subpar character until you hit level 11.

Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, right, forgot about that. Then I can throw in 3 levels of Shinobi Adept.
forgotenkey
Genin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite build that to work with at this point goes along the lines of
Smart hero5/Shinobi Adept3/Elementalist7/devistator5

Focusing on high Int, Con, and Dex in that order, for a wide and adaptable variety of general ninjutsu and heavy hitting elemental for offense.

so far i have only played out up to the 4th level in elementalist and its a really fun divers build. This incarnation was a wind based user and has a lot of growth potential in most of the fields.
Zatoichi
Chuunin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in my games, don't look. I mean, there's little I can do to stop you, but... *shrug*

Dedicated 3, Shinobi Adept 3, Elementalist 7, Medical Specialist 2, Devastator 5

Total Bonus Chakra: 30 (68 Reserve)

The catch? The character has an effective intelligence of 2, maybe 3 and has forgotten every ninjutsu he has learned. He was once human, albiet afflicted with the chakra vampire template... but somewhere around his medical specialist and devastator levels, he shed his body to become a being of pure chakra, feasting and consuming on everything. His Chakra Presence is always active, and anything caught in it is slowly drained of its' chakra until it dies. Failing this, he will use his chakra vampire ability augmented with Chakra Reach Extention or if the enemy is out of range; the devastator's Unleashed Power ability. He is thus sealed away in a giant coffin and only brought out when needed. Note the existence of flagrant houserules... he's something of a special case. Wink

Though I can't quite decide how to write up a 'being of pure chakra' template...

And another, less spectacular but a little unexpected...

Smart Hero 3, Shinobi Adept 3, Technique Analyst 5, Field Scientist 4
Occupation; Ninja Technician

Dust off your D20 Modern book, it still has some gems in it that can work in Naruto D20. A level dip and I can add my Int modifier to Defense in addition to Dex? Hell yeah!
Naruto d20 Store
SirShadow
Biffu Aroi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<_< this is more for PC builds that are actually obtainable in the average game, meaning, no houseruled stuff.
Zatoichi
Chuunin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excluding homebrew, he still has alot of chakra and taken at face value, is rather potent at ninjutsu... but than the character would be another boring, albiet potent, blaster. Wink Found the numbers, total chakra at ECL 18 (this sheet doesn't include the mainly fluff medical spec levels) is 158 (96 Reserve... that he can't use Sad ) and with a fully stocked Chakra Vampire'd pool, it's at 176. The majority of his chakra-whoring was just so I could use a high DC Chakra Presence and to make him seem even more inhuman.

My blind swordsman ended up being Dedicated 3, Sacred Fist 4, Samurai 5. Extremely unsynergistic, but I had fun... which is all that matters. Wink

The other characters didn't quite have builds that made them unique, just bloodlines, templates, or jutsus that made them stand out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: