Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Portfolio of Prestige: Volume III at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Jyuuken and you
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Touch Attack

Some attacks disregard armor.  In these cases, the attacker makes a touch attack roll (either a ranged touch attack roll or a melee touch attack roll). The attacker makes his or her attack roll as normal, but a character's Defense does not include any equipment bonus or armor bonus. All other modifiers, such as class bonus, Dexterity modifier, and size modifier, apply normally.

This exert was taken straight from the d20 Modern Core Rulebook. You keep overlooking the fact that it can make a difference. But, it doesn't have to all the time. Maybe you haven't had to fight armored enemies in any Naruto d20 campaign you have participated in, but that's the GM's choice, not that the action has anything mechanically wrong with it. Plenty of mechanics are either given the limelight or are stuck backstage in every campaign. It's just bound to happen.

The problem is this: You keep saying that it is unfair that touch attacks have to hit a normal defense unless an enemy is armored, but it's not proving to us anything. It's not falling on deaf ears, but the problem is that you need to produce some real evidence of there being a problem, not "all other d20 systems do it better" or "it's more useful in DnD". Chances are, most d20 systems use the exact same with little variation since they all use the OGL, but that is a moot point to begin with.

It boils down to this: If you want to suggest a change, then present a fix and back it up with numbers. But also, show where there is a problem with an actual character build and not guesses or estimates. Walk the system through twenty levels and compare across all kinds of players and enemies.

Also, the question Renzor asked was simple: How often are touch attacks used in the series and where they are used, how has this system not accurately reflected it? Don't twist it into a reason to start bashing the system. It's irrelevant to your argument and it only serves to get people upset. Yes, it's not 100% up-to-date and it can never be 100% accurate, but it's hard to do when the manga is released most-every week and fails to always explain its own mechanics. And one person can only do so much while also living a normal life. But please, let's keep this discussion on topic AND keep it civil.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've let this gone on for too long. Clearly you think someone's wronged you about some facet of gameplay you haven't been able to take full advantage of.

Touch attacks present a massive advantage against any creature that uses heavy armor, natural armor, does not make use of class level, and most importantly, it presents a significant advantage against all but one type of opponent.

Go back and read your posts. Your argument boils down to this: 'Touch attacks suck because they don't let me hit everything ever the first time, so take them out right now and replace them with something better.' In point of fact, no, they do not let you hit everything ever. But you know what? That is a good thing. If they did, then you wouldn't be using them anyway. Furthermore, I'm not going to replace them with anything else because in order to attract the potential reader who is also familiar with the d20 system, then I need that familiarity.

I have a lot of very useful adjectives for someone like you and your like. But just this once, I'll keep them to myself. So sue me for trying to make a better game, not everything is 100% up to date. You can feel free to play a different, better game if that's what you wish. I'm sure they'll be glad to have you.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: