Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Public List of Requests for General Game Improvement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dairius_Chi
Situationally Useful

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeronosVega wrote:
Hito Hyuga wrote:
Well, Genjutsu use Hand-Seals, too. I just think it's kinda bleh to allow one to qualify if they have Genius-nin (Genjutsu) but require them to have 9 ranks in Ninjutsu.

I will second this. I think it needs to depend on whether or not it is being applied to a Ninjutsu or Genjutsu.

Since we're bringing numbers into this, I third this. Especially since Genius Nin requires a stat based on the type of jutsu being affected, so why shouldn't the rest of the chain?
Naruto d20 Store
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the Shinobi Swordsman class can be used with a ranged weapon such as a bow, I feel that maybe it should be more specified to melee weapons such as the Weaponmaster class. I say this because the class, itself is mostly geared towards melee with its feat list, although most of the class abilities would work.

On the flip-side, maybe a dedicated bow class could be developed to fill in that gap. Now I know what you are thinking: There is already the Samurai class which works fine and I don't disagree, not at all. The Samurai class is amazing at what it does, but I feel that another type of ranged class could be made with a different focus in mind. Maybe one more along the lines of what Kidomaru was doing (not counting his bloodline abilities and techniques, mind you) involving more long-ranged sniping and less of technique use? I've considered trying to develop such a class myself, but I'm not entirely familiar with bow use beyond using the Arcane Archer once (which wouldn't translate well into this game).

Although, the Sword Savant (from what I can tell) can be used by a bow user I feel that maybe the name detours people due to the assumption that it is only for melee users. Maybe a different name could be used instead, since the name isn't all weapon-encompassing as it could be?

And I already know that if one were to read the class, they would learn otherwise, but I felt I'd at least throw that point out there since not everyone reads/studies/remembers these materials as well as some of us do. If the point is ignored, then so be it.

Anyway: Thoughts? Ideas? Think they're all stupid points? Well, I can at least say that I tried.

P.S. Is there going to be any changes to the Genuis-Nin materials discussed previously on this thread? It seemed the subject died down.
keksmuzh
Kage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeronosVega wrote:
Although the Shinobi Swordsman class can be used with a ranged weapon such as a bow, I feel that maybe it should be more specified to melee weapons such as the Weaponmaster class. I say this because the class, itself is mostly geared towards melee with its feat list, although most of the class abilities would work.

On the flip-side, maybe a dedicated bow class could be developed to fill in that gap. Now I know what you are thinking: There is already the Samurai class which works fine and I don't disagree, not at all. The Samurai class is amazing at what it does, but I feel that another type of ranged class could be made with a different focus in mind. Maybe one more along the lines of what Kidomaru was doing (not counting his bloodline abilities and techniques, mind you) involving more long-ranged sniping and less of technique use? I've considered trying to develop such a class myself, but I'm not entirely familiar with bow use beyond using the Arcane Archer once (which wouldn't translate well into this game).

Although, the Sword Savant (from what I can tell) can be used by a bow user I feel that maybe the name detours people due to the assumption that it is only for melee users. Maybe a different name could be used instead, since the name isn't all weapon-encompassing as it could be?

And I already know that if one were to read the class, they would learn otherwise, but I felt I'd at least throw that point out there since not everyone reads/studies/remembers these materials as well as some of us do. If the point is ignored, then so be it.

Anyway: Thoughts? Ideas? Think they're all stupid points? Well, I can at least say that I tried.

P.S. Is there going to be any changes to the Genuis-Nin materials discussed previously on this thread? It seemed the subject died down.

I am currently homebrewing a "sniper" class for a game in the coming months. If I like how it plays and it balances ok, I may post it.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the event that I see a need for a ranged class, I may add the Shinobi Marksman, a 5-level ranged-centric class. But probably not.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankto wrote:
In the event that I see a need for a ranged class, I may add the Shinobi Marksman, a 5-level ranged-centric class. But probably not.

I see. But thanks for thinking about the suggestion.
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking through the techniques section, some Taijutsu (strike) techniques with the [armed] descriptor just have Range: Melee while some have Range: Melee Attack is this a mistake or do the ones with Range: Melee just require you to be within Melee range? If so, could they be used with non-melee weapons (such as Battle Wire) if one were capable of using said weapon with said technique (like ones requiring a slashing weapon)
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It stands for Melee Attack.

ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how often the template is used, but maybe the Cursed Seal mechanics need to be looked at. By this, I mean that maybe have a way to increase the number of safe uses of the Curse Seal, either through modifying the Cursed Warrior class (which would be fitting, since they would use it more often than most), or by possibly adding a feat. Maybe the temp chakra could be increased in order to better match the changes in the chakra calculation system?

Again, these are just ideas I figured I'd mention.
Senshen
Rookie Younin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the curse seal is concerned the fact that, if you kill the person who gave you the curse mark, you cure yourself.

Fear my dragon army!

ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senshen wrote:
As far as the curse seal is concerned the fact that, if you kill the person who gave you the curse mark, you cure yourself.

I don't know about that. I think with the Sasuke example, Itachi was merely able to extract Orochimaru, who had probably mixed himself in with the Cursed Mark. I mean, Sasuke, himself, did not kill Orochimaru and even if he was "dead", Anko still had her Curse Mark.
Athildur
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that happens when you kill the origin is that nobody exists that can trigger your mark at will. Which means there's nobody with a more direct control over you.

But the curse mark would still exist, it is not dependant on the existence of its origin, it's a seal like any other, only this one is bit more invasive than most others.
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a suggestion, in D&D 3.5 there is a feat called versatile unarmed strike, which allows one to change the damage type (Slashing, Piercing, Bludgeoning) of their unarmed strikes can deal as a swift action to represent chops, piercing jabs, and the standard unarmed strikes. Since Superior Combat Martial Arts was added in, how about re-flavoring the Versatile Unarmed Strike to be Versatile Combat Martial Arts? I think it'd fit nicely into the system.
kakuro
ANBU Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Curse Seal users, I think it would be fitting to modify the user's natural weapons if they take the True Origin feat so that they may swap them out as a swift action if need be as Juugo has clearly shown the ability to adapt to his situaution.
Dairius_Chi
Situationally Useful

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, me and a friend were talking about JUST that as well >.>

I was in a game once where the GM said True Origin could have all of them out at once(when actually in the frenzy, otherwise just 1 at his own choice), was gonna help me make some training techs for other stuff like the Piston to ignore hardness or something like that.

I thought his ideas were good, but in the end it seems like a lot of work for something that only one person in any given game could benefit from(unless of course that world has more Juugos running around)
skean
Genin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I am not entirely sure if this is a correct place to post these questions but the topics directly related to them are more dead and it does have some stuff to do with the main book.

I was wondering if an actual book/pdf was ever made for Naruto d20: Return to Darkness or the work from the Biiju Transformation topic. I know that for the Biiju one, a pdf of what currently had been done was released but it was still being developed. I also was wondering for the Biiju one if it would just be added to main book when done or if all Biiju information would then be moved to a new book.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't decided. And no, this isn't necessarily the right place for this. As for Return to Darkness, the project is pretty much dead.

demoralizer
ANBU Leader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an idea Skean, take what is provided in the NarutoD20: Return To Darkness skit and apply it to your own campaign.

Funny thing is, you can use these 'dead' projects as a means for motivation rather than waiting for someone else to bring an end to an idea.

Finish it yourself, and let us know how it works out.
skean
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit confused on the Return to Darkness skit you mentioned. There is the Whispers of the Darkness campaign going on, but I don't see anywhere where the materials for Return to Darkness were specifically mentioned. It was something that involved according to the original post at least 2 new classes, 5 new races, a series of new techs, and possibly new mechanics making it actually consist of possibly more new material than any currently released supplement. Yes the ideas themselves can be applied to a campaign, but since these required the creation and balancing of new mechanics if they had already been done by someone else. As far as I know none of the material was released other than it would involve Japanese myths and that Tengu, Kappa, and Oni would make an appearance. I have no idea why the appropriate response to asking a question about mechanics that was being worked on is do it yourself, demoralizer.

Also thanks for the actual response Frankto and sorry if this wasn't the correct place. It seemed like it might be slightly appropriate topic and I didn't feel like resurrecting a possibly dead topic twice.
Naruto d20 Store
Athildur
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skean wrote:
I am a bit confused on the Return to Darkness skit you mentioned. There is the Whispers of the Darkness campaign going on, but I don't see anywhere where the materials for Return to Darkness were specifically mentioned. It was something that involved according to the original post at least 2 new classes, 5 new races, a series of new techs, and possibly new mechanics making it actually consist of possibly more new material than any currently released supplement. Yes the ideas themselves can be applied to a campaign, but since these required the creation and balancing of new mechanics if they had already been done by someone else. As far as I know none of the material was released other than it would involve Japanese myths and that Tengu, Kappa, and Oni would make an appearance. I have no idea why the appropriate response to asking a question about mechanics that was being worked on is do it yourself, demoralizer.

Also thanks for the actual response Frankto and sorry if this wasn't the correct place. It seemed like it might be slightly appropriate topic and I didn't feel like resurrecting a possibly dead topic twice.

To respond to this, some (or all) of that material is campaign-specific and will most likely remain unavailable for the 'general public'. This has nothing to do with that supplement as such. The names just happen to be similar.
demoralizer
ANBU Leader

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was not my intention to confuse you. Sorry about that. My point was to apply the concepts to your own ideas. I was more interested in what you would come up with later on because you appeared truly interested in delving deeper into Return to Darkness. My mistake.
chidarake
Genin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there isn't already a ruleset for it, I wanted to suggest rules for creating new jutsu not listed in the ND20 books. I have been hungry for it, see as so much of the Naruto storyline revolves around a jutsu-hungry antagonist.
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chidarake wrote:
If there isn't already a ruleset for it, I wanted to suggest rules for creating new jutsu not listed in the ND20 books. I have been hungry for it, see as so much of the Naruto storyline revolves around a jutsu-hungry antagonist.

There is a ruleset for it, in the techniques chapter
chidarake
Genin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, my apologies. I was working with an older version of the core rules. May I ask where? I am having a hard time finding it.
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

around page 253, expect a lot of reading, oh and read it a few times, trust me.
chidarake
Genin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I take those rules and extrapolate new jutsu from it? I am sorry, I am a bit lost.
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much, you get to decide the effect it has, that's all up to you (the player) and maybe the GM. For some examples of homebrewed techniques, see here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dSoMeDvvujAWvmV2fo7BVAkVzXnUuR5tXB-rMLad6e4/edit?authkey=COWWyMQI

There are no guides for how to balance them, but it's good to give them prerequisites or make them part of a bloodline, I am still trying to balance out the techniques here to apply to the bloodline they are a part of, but this should serve as a good example, in any case.
chidarake
Genin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, my thanks Kito3-sempai XD.
I may just compare the effects with those of 3.5/pathfinder spells, approximate a technique level from there, and then compare the "spell" to those from Arcana Unearthed, which has a vaguely similar classification of rules for the exoticism of spells. That way rank and complexity are definable, and the technique is designed and balanced.

Again, domo Kito3!
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one way to balance them.
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should the Yamanaka technique Shinranshin no Jutsu be classified as a Ninjutsu instead of a Genjutsu?

I'm asking this ONLY because it is officially listed as such in the second official databook, even though it mechanically acts like a Genjutsu. The class/rank of the technique may even be able to be lowered, as the official ranking of the technique is that of B-Class rather than S-Class.

I could, however, see the area-of-effect version of Shinranshin no Jutsu, known as Shinran Enbu no Jutsu, be classified as an S-Class technique.

Also, no idea why I randomly got caught on a Yamanaka kick.
TheTrulyAvaricious
Bijuu/Tailed Beast

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

As something I'd want to see, a Fox summon (bloodpact)? I wouldn't know the first steps to start building an entire progression of those, let alone have the confidence to do so. Looking forward to the next update. Happy the last one finally shown the Aburame some love. That pesky Fraility penalty was a pain.

Best Regards,
TheTrulyAvaricious
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: