Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

How to Handle a Co-GM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> RPG General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keksmuzh
Kage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: How to Handle a Co-GM Reply with quote

This might sound like a bit of an odd question, but for the many GMs on the forums; have you ever had a Co-GM for a campaign you've run, and what sort of role has he/she played, both at and away from the table? I GM for a fairly large group, and I feel I could fix a lot of the lulls in my games with an assistant to help me run things.

The problem is I'm not sure where I could efficiently fit in a Co-GM into my routine without causing more delays with communication than I would gain back in removed lulls. Your experiences with Co-GMs (or Co-GMing for someone else) would be a great help.
SirShadow
Biffu Aroi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Co-DMs are typically for creating NPCs and other supplemental material. They also good for running NPCs during fights, so you don't have to worry about figuring out each enemy's turn.

They also can be good for running side-sessions if the party splits up for whatever reason.
keksmuzh
Kage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would speed up combat a fair bit, hopefully. NPC building is easy and usually done in down time between sessions, so I don't think I'd need help with that aspect. A lot of the lulls seem to come during down time or RP portions because that's when the party tends to divide. I guess a Co-GM could potentially run certain RP sections if different parts of the party are taking care of different things. The concern I have is that I'll have to monitor the Co-GM and make sure none of what he does contradicts my own plans.
TheTrulyAvaricious
Bijuu/Tailed Beast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,
While I cannot speak from personal experience, some members of my group (we have enough people to run two games simultaneously) ran a One Piece RPG with the Call of Cthulu system. Everyone had the opportunity to GM, and so every week or so, someone would come up with a "episode" to run with the group. The GM's character would take a step-back and just sort of linger in the back ground.

The "roles" they took varied with the players. The original GM who ran the first session was the ship's captain, with the pilot being the sort of 2nd, give how often he ran. However, almost everyone gave it a go at GM'ing.

Overall? It's a great idea, if your running with a group who are experienced enough to give it a try, and also with anime-type settings, in my opinion. It went well, and still is to this day. They have moved on to a D&D game, but may return to it at some other point.

Best Regards,
TheTrulyAvaricious
Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, its best to not have co-gm handle NPC combat and the like. Takes away the mystery/suspense of what they are fighting against as a player.

I do agree to the fact that it can be great to have someone who can cover the slack when you need some downtime; as in run a session or two from time to time.

Quote:
The concern I have is that I'll have to monitor the Co-GM and make sure none of what he does contradicts my own plans.

The only issue with that is you need to make sure the Co-GM knows what direction your story is going along with places and people etc. They still have freedom to move around, just in the confines of your world which may or may not be very big. You don't need to give them 100% of your plans... but it goes the same way for him.
----
Example: You don't have to tell him your character is actually the BBEG they've been looking for. But you can tell him to try and avoid using his BBEG alias/actions for your own reasons.

On the other side, he doesn't have to tell you his entire session idea but can atleast tell you if it involves a certain person, group or place. As to give them some freedom.
-----

It's kind of a poorly worded example but hopefully someone can clarify it or you get the idea anyway. I'll be trying to think of a clearer way to say it myself.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Sengoku System
Me: the hizoku attacks you with his yari, your actions?

Max: I evade with a 13 and counter attack with a 1,000... *pause for silence*
keksmuzh
Kage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the idea...there might be room for a guest session to give me a break, but fitting it into a 14 week semester will be tricky. There are limits to what I can do as far as connecting a guest GM to the plot without something breaking. It's possible there could be room for a sideplot that's basically a mental break for everyone.

Thanks all! I think I have a better idea of how a Co-GM could help manage the campaign load now.
Naruto d20 Store
TheTrulyAvaricious
Bijuu/Tailed Beast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear our advice helped. Maybe just let the "co-GM" do a couple of short sessions, much like filler episodes? That'd be easier, and doesn't have to be plot-related at all.

In either case, I hope it goes well.

Best Regards,
TheTrulyAvaricious
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> RPG General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: