Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Naruto d20 - Creatures Compendium
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Naruto d20 Supplements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Naruto d20 - Creatures Compendium Reply with quote

Unorthodox, I know. I'm sure you can guess what this is going to be. Being that I can't do any serious writing for the time being, the best I can do is plan, and that's what I'm doing.

So far, one of the biggest obstacles to GMing a game of Naruto d20 has been a lack of monster manual, and for a while now I've aimed to remedy that. I can't promise troves of pre-generated shinobi NPC, but I think I can come up with a few mythical creatures that some of you will find appealing.

Included in this book will be a slew of new subtypes (like the kami subtype), a few new templates, a number of streamlined demon templates (some of you have seen those), and a lot of monster entries. So far, I have plans for about 30 giant animals, karasu-tengu and hanakata-tengu (and races), tanuki (and a race), yamauba, oni, ushioni, kirin, tsukumogami, kappa and maybe some new dragons.

As for this project, anyone who wants to contribute is free to do so. I won't guarantee everything anyone sends me will make it into the book, but contributions are still welcome. In all likelyhood, the compendium will be released for free.

Here's a filled monster entry for your convenience:
Shrouded Demon (CR 8)
Medium outsider (supernatural); AL evil, law
hp 82 (11d8+33); 57 chakra (22 reserves)
Init +7; Rep +0; Spd 30 ft.
Def 24, touch 13, flat-footed 21 (+3 Dex, +11 natural)
Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +9
Base Atk +11; Grp +17
Atk bite +18 (1d6+9), 2 claws +12 (1d8+3)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Qualities chakra resistance 19, spell-like abilities
Str 23, Dex 16, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 12
Skills Intimidate +14
Feats Power Attack, Weapon Focus (bite)
Possessions Discorporation cloak
Habits roams marshes; solitary or in small packs (2-4)
Advancement by character class

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
Naruto d20 Store
Jensik
Sharkbait

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Naruto d20 - Creatures Compendium Reply with quote

Frankto wrote:
So far, one of the biggest obstacles to GMing a game of Naruto d20 has been a lack of monster manual, and for a while now I've aimed to remedy that.

I could not agree more. Especially at lower levels, there just doesn't seem like a whole lot of things to throw at your players.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to hear it's not just me, then.

Senshen
Rookie Younin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

me and Shiro had been talking about bring in monsters for a while so this will be fun I might try my hand at converting over some monsters.

Fear my dragon army!

Dokuga Kazu
Demon Carrier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw yeah, I got a weeks vacation and nothing but time to sketch creatures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SirShadow
Biffu Aroi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind this at all, and I'm actually happy to see a few things you had mentioned, such as Kami and Tanuki, are going to make an appearance.

and thank you SO MUCH for using that format instead of the maddening blocks D20 Modern uses...
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's no secret the d20M statblocks are pretty shit, so I felt compelled to make a new one. No joke.

Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been surprisingly easy to write despite the circumstances. So far I can say I have 8 monsters and 3 races: bonfire spirit, face stealer (and race), face eater, gaki (and race), jininki (and race), primordial tortoise, shuragami and a shrouded demon (needs a new name).

I've decided to go with a D&D monster manual style, so the entries look a lot like this:

Face Stealer
The size of a grown man, this tall, wiry humanoid wears the tattered remnants of a kimono and four sheathed sword at its belt. It has skin the color of coal, four long, spindly arms and a curiously large head that is polished and round, completely featureless save for a large, fanged mouth curled in a cruel grin.

A face stealer is a deadly trickster, a mischievous assassin. Though they are capable hunters, the face stealers are very whimsical and lack good judgement and common sense; this, more often than anything else, is what leads a face stealer to its doom.

Though they are feared and disliked by most who encounter them, dogs are particularly zealous with their dislike because a face stealer has absolutely no scent at all.

A face stealer stands about 6 feet tall and weighs about 120 pounds.

Combat
The face stealer likes to trick and lure travelers to their doom using its limited shapeshifting abilities in order to end the fight before it can truly begin. Though by no means helpless, a face stealer measures success by how quickly it can ambush and kill its prey.
... special abilities and statblock follow ...

That, by the way, is one of the coolest nasty I've ever created. And if an artist wants to work with me on this one, I have a few good ideas that woumd make for a pretty good picture. Bonus: No hands to draw!

chaoticangel97
Younin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot damn that sounds one cool little nasty there. This really seems like it's gonna be a nice supplement. Keep up the good work Frankto. As my group's main GM I can say this is probably going to be the supplement I most enjoy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Denverbill
Genin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm a noob and perhaps this is obvious, but would this not be very helpful for summons as well?

From diminutive summons to gargantuan there could be a whole section on just blood pact creatures that you can encounter one way or the other.

I know there are many on here and in other places who have been making new blood pact creature sets and it would seem a simple add to put them in this compendium. Ready made monsters and summons reference.
Jensik
Sharkbait

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denverbill wrote:
I know I'm a noob and perhaps this is obvious, but would this not be very helpful for summons as well?

From diminutive summons to gargantuan there could be a whole section on just blood pact creatures that you can encounter one way or the other.

I know there are many on here and in other places who have been making new blood pact creature sets and it would seem a simple add to put them in this compendium. Ready made monsters and summons reference.

While that idea is nice in general, the possibilities are nigh infinite with all the different combinations.
kakuro
ANBU Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuki-onna would be awesome. Will the Tengu have the swordsmanship proficiency like it does in Pathfinder?.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll find out.

Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just completed them, I can tell you that yes, for the most part, they are pretty sword-y. The hanataka-tengu, or long-nosed tengu, is a swordsman, while the karasu-tengu, or crwo-headed tengu, is a bowman/shurikenjutsuka. This sort of makes sense, given the legends that claim they trained both ninja and samurai. Both tengu are LA+1 races.

kakuro
ANBU Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet. I'd love to see Kamaitachi and Baku as well especially since they're apparently pretty rare in the Naruto World. I have to ask do the Tanuki's testicles figure into it's attacks at all?. Some of the builds I've seen have allowed it to deal some pretty powerful slam damage with them.
SirShadow
Biffu Aroi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... I... no... just... no.
Jensik
Sharkbait

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want it on record that neither Shadow, NinjaCP, nor I were the first to make a testicle comment, given our track record.

I, for one, am very proud at our restraint.

That said, it's a valid concern. Tanuki've got huge balls, dude. This aint Mario 3.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to go with Shadow on this one. Just... no.

kakuro
ANBU Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm. alright, just thought I'd ask.
chaoticangel97
Younin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know in the first post you said you couldn't promise troves of NPC shinobi but will there be any human or shinobi enemies in this supplement or is it going to be creatures only?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Shinobi-no-Mono monster entry, but if you mean with real NPCs class levels and progressions like on my to do list, then... no, absolutely not. Hell no. Nuh-huh.

Nope.

Just the thought of having to make that makes me want to stop writing forever. It's going to be a tedious and mind-numbing task.

TheTrulyAvaricious
Bijuu/Tailed Beast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Chimera's? Could be a fun addition that wouldn't be too bad for lower level players. I'm working on a sort of template using the Full-metal Alchemist series for inspiration and basing it with the Monstrous human race. However, if this isn't what your looking for, I'll be posting it on the forums some point soon.
Best Regards,

TheTrulyAvaricious
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two chimera-like monsters on my list, but I'm not going to bother with making templates to make custom chimeras. For the curious, those creatures are Baki and Nue.

I've also been working on the concept of Spirit Planes, and I'm fairly certain it's going to make the cut. It's atypical, but honestly I'm not certain that bothers me. I would go in further detail, but I think I'll let the description speak for itself. This is what I have so far...

Spirit Planes
Spirit planes are places that can be accessed by passing through a portal. A portal is not always a gate or a barrier of energy, it can simply be passing a certain location marker in a certain way, or going down a flight of stairs skipping certain steps or entering a place while bearing a certain mark or object.

A spirit plane is a location parallel to the real world that can take on any appearance, but is usually identical in almost every way, but with small and very noticeable differences that make it easy to identify to a trained eye. They are sometimes easy to enter but very difficult to exit, and one should always be careful when navigating them; spirit planes can be very unpredictable, sometimes spanning hundreds of miles, or a mere few steps that lead hundreds of miles away.

Spirit planes are places where supernatural creatures dwell and originate from. They are the demesnes of ghosts and ogres or particularly powerful creatures, source of many myths and legends, and they are not always ruled by the laws of nature. Spirit planes may possess many different and exotic features, from unusual and out of place chill to high or low gravity or even towering mountains or castles where there should be none. They can overlap even without being connected, be places where time or space has no meaning, or feature a completely different reality altogether.

Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and made an example for some of the people I bounce ideas off of and I thought I might share it with you guys. It's a location I visited in a campaign that was interesting and easy to translate into a spirit plane, and it's not going to make it into the final book. The context probably won't mean anything to you guys but I thought you'd like to get an idea of what I have planned.

Ryuuguu-jou
The spirit plane of Ryuuguu-jou is a strange place. Standing at its sandy shores, it appears as a massive white castle in a dome at the bottom of the ocean bathed in glimmering rays of inexplicable sunlight.
Walking its expansive, maze-like halls are a variety of draconic or fishlike creatures, guests of the dragon court where the towering dragon god, Ryuujin, rules with his daughter Otohime.
Ryuuguu-jou is composed of miles and miles of beautiful sandy beaches and the towering Coral Castle, at the heart of which lies the Dragon Court and the Vault.
Size: 5 miles by 5 miles.
Features: Altered time flow (1 round inside is 10 minutes outside), dragon court, water-aligned.
Dragon Court: A creature of the dragon type or with draconic traits gains a +4 bonus to Charisma-based checks to interact with denizens of Ryuuguu-jou.
Water-Aligned: Any technique with the Water subtype is performed at 2 character levels higher than normal, and any technique with the Fire descriptor is performed at 2 character levels lower than normal while in Ryuuguu-jou.
Portals: A character can enter Ryuuguu-jou by diving into the vortex created by the Three-tailed Demon Turtle at the bottom of the ocean. Leaving, however, is another matter.
The only way to leave Ryuuguu-jou is to be given a tide jewel by Otohime and break it on the palace's shores.
Denizens: Many kappa, samebito and a variety of other draconic, aquatic and fish-like creatures call Ryuuguu-jou their home. It is ruled by the dragon god Ryuujin and his daughter, Otohime. Ryuuguu-jou is sometimes visited by the brave and the foolhardy, and the dragon court frequently enjoys the company of high-level guests of all origins.
Anyone is welcome in Ryuuguu-jou, but only those with a heroic tale to tell are welcome to stay and sit at the Dragon Court.
The Coral Palace: The coral palace is the most prominent feature of Ryuuguu-jou. It is an enormous building apparently made from coral, and can be very difficult to navigate for those unfamiliar with its expansive halls.
It is almost maze-like in its design, with sliding panels and walls in unusual and unexpected places. An unfamiliar character must succeed an Intelligence check (DC 15) each time it travels to a new location to avoid being lost and taking 1d4+1 times as long to reach its destination.
The Dragon Court: At the center of the Coral Palace lies the Dragon Court, where the dragon god Ryuujin holds court for friends, allies, enemies and guests alike. Because of the friendly nature of the court, discussions and debates often arise unbidden, and by the time festivities die down, it is often time to start eating again.
The Vault: Ryuujin's vault is home to untold amounts of riches and curios, and it is guarded by two of Ryuujin's strongest warriors.

00nerd
Genin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Just Curious Reply with quote

So if people build their own monsters and NPC's. Could they send them into you for review and possible adding?

Me: "Nat 20! Name Everywhere!!!"

GM: "You cover everything in 'name.'"
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Naruto d20 - Creatures Compendium Reply with quote

Frankto wrote:
As for this project, anyone who wants to contribute is free to do so. I won't guarantee everything anyone sends me will make it into the book, but contributions are still welcome.

I believe I already answered that.

00nerd
Genin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. thanks frankto! I'll try to make something after I get some practice in.

Me: "Nat 20! Name Everywhere!!!"

GM: "You cover everything in 'name.'"
demoralizer
ANBU Leader

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness I can't wait for this to be finished!!
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a progress update of the stuff I've got so far.
  • Bonfire Spirit
  • Face Stealer
    • Face Eater
  • Flesh Ripper
  • Gloomwrought Creature
    • Gloomwrought Aka-Oni
  • Hungry Ghost
    • Gaki
    • Jikininki
  • Jaki
  • Kappa
    • Kazame
  • Miage-Nyudo
  • Oni
    • Aka-Oni
    • Ao-Oni
    • Kuro-Oni
    • Shiro-Oni
  • Phage
  • Predator Ooze
  • Primordial Tortoise
  • Shuragami (might not keep)
  • Shrouded Demon (needs a new name, might not keep)
  • Shinobi no Mono (probably won't keep)
    • Shinobi
    • Kunoichi
  • Tengu
    • Hanataka-Tengu
    • Karasu-Tengu
  • Yomijishi
  • Races
    • Aka-Oni race
    • Ao-Oni race
    • Face Stealer race
    • Gaki race
    • Hanataka-Tengu race
    • Jaki race
    • Jikininki race
    • Karasu-Tengu race
  • 8 new armors
  • 1 new sealed item
  • 3 new 20-level NPC classes

And that's it, I think.

Felix_Zyphros
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks cool, can't wait.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

? Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Naruto d20 Supplements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: