Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Shaman King d20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> RPG General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hitsen
Kage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Shaman King d20 Reply with quote

I just thought I would give you guys a quick preview and update on my work on Shaman King d20. Just to let you know, this little project isn't even close to done yet, since I have yet to play test any of it and I still have a heck of a lot more to do in terms of Shamanic Abilities, Feats, skills, and more, but I thought I would show you all something to hopefully peak some interest.

Quote:
Furyoku
At Character Creation, roll 1d10+1d6+1d4 and multiply the result by 10. The number rolled is your character?s maximum Furyoku and it will be between 30 and 200. A Shaman Character gains and spends Furyoku to power their various abilities. A Shaman gains an amount of Furyoku equal to their Wisdom modifier every hour. A character can not regain more Furyoku than their max and their maximum Furyoku can not change, (With the exception of a few quest and items the character may obtain.)

Shaman Test Roll
Whenever a character makes a Shaman Test roll, they roll 1d20+Wis. Mod. + Misc. A Shaman character may spend 1 Furyoku to add +1 to the roll. A Shaman character may do this a number of times per roll up to their character level. Furyoku is spent this way before the roll. Furyoku can NOT be spent to increase the damage of any abilities that require Shaman Test rolls.

As of right now, I am rewatching all the episodes (AGAIN! XD) and working on some fun rules for spirit allies, but hopefully I will have it posted soon. (And if I am really into it, it will be in a spiffy PDF too!)
Holiday Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creation method is really really bad... (Fuuryoku)

why? you may roll to many 1...
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a good way. It separates peoples various potentials...

*Goes off to plunge into old Drakar och Demoner...*

Yes, I am being sentimental...
Hitsen
Kage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what's the difference between rolling 3,3,3,3,3,14 on your stats when using rolls instead of points? According to the rules, those stats can not be rerolled and your GM is a real jerk, you would have to use those stats.

Granted, I am a bit biased, but I thought it was a decent way of figuring out furyoku, since it is suppose to be preset at birth. I have been thinking, however, about increasing it. I'm not sure about this yet, but the manga rates Yoh's furyoku at 270 points and Tao Ren's at 320. So, I'm a bit torn between increasing the characters furyoku rolls and leaving them alone. If I increase the rolls, then I will probably have to increase the cost to use all the shaman's abilities.

But, not all the characters in the shaman king series have high furyoku. Manta Oyamada has a weak furyoku and he only obtains the Oversoul technique once in the series, while the characters like Yoh, Tao Ren, and Horo Horo have much higher furyoku and tap into a wide range of abilities. But to balance that, Manta has a lot of abilities that don't require Furyoku, like the 'Shamanic Knowledge' abilities that I am working on, which increase a characters knowledge rolls.

So, I hear your concerns. But rolling all 1's is a problem that can happen to any character in any d20 game during character creation (if they are not using the point system, that is). But, even then, I am still trying to figure out a balanced way of rolling the numbers.

Also, I wanted to point out what I did about Furyoku and shaman abilities. I did get a lot of really good suggestions from my first post in the other section, but some of them seemed like they would be a bit too much work for the player/GM or that they generally didn't work. BUT they did inspire what I am going to use now.

Shaman's can use their furyoku to increase their rolls on all shaman test. A Shaman Test roll is used on just about all of their abilities, from using the Hyoi Gattai (Spirit Unity) and Oversoul to activating their spirit's abilities. The general idea is that a Shaman has to spend a lot of furyoku to activate their abilities at lower levels, since they do not have complete mastery of their skills and furyoku. But, as they level up, they gain more control of their abilities and furyoku by gaining class skills, feats, and the like, which add to the rolls and don't require the player to spend as much furyoku to keep activated.

But, I really like your input. Thanks a lot. *thumbs up*
Banned or Something Like It

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fear the Necromancy! Very Happy

Are you still working on this?

Cuz I wanna help/playtest/whateva
Machaeus
Genin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Not to revive a possibly dead thread, but...)

Hitsen wrote:
Well, what's the difference between rolling 3,3,3,3,3,14 on your stats when using rolls instead of points? According to the rules, those stats can not be rerolled and your GM is a real jerk, you would have to use those stats.

Actually, if you read closely, the modifiers of those ability scores are less than +0, meaning they're invalid.

However, I might bump the rolls up a bit, say, to 2d6 + 2d4 x 10 (a range from 40 to 200, which offsets the problem just a bit) or to 5d4 x 10 (a range from 50 to 200, though that may be a bit much).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE RELEASE THIS RAWR! Twisted Evil
kp91
PM Frankto for a Special Title

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DotonLizard wrote:
PLEASE RELEASE THIS RAWR! Twisted Evil

Considering Hitsen hasn't been here since like September (these forums or anywhere else) you probably will never see it.
DotonLizard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh noes! Shocked
kp91

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His last post:
Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:13 pm
Machaeus
Genin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...well...dang.
Master of Space and Time

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had a game running on RPOL that I was in, but he hasn't updated that since about the same time. For all we know, he's dead. Or abducted by aliens.
kp91

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I investigated this, and it's the 15th he vanished from RPOL.
Imsquooshy
Genin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is still interested I made it and it's finished. And it is not the same as the original poster. And in my opinion his rules had major flaws. Which I tried my best to get rid of.
SirShadow
Biffu Aroi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easier to just post your finished products and see what people think than asking them if they want it at all.
Dokuga Kazu
Demon Carrier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with SirShadow. I am interested in this, but want to see it posted for further review.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chaos4knuckles
Younin Commander

Location: The border of the Village Hidden in the Valley of the Sun, & Reno, the realm of Power

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should post it. Also, just like a Dragon ball d20, how would one account for "power levels" since they can be enhanced by ridiculous means?

Dairius_Chi
Situationally Useful

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in seeing this, can we get a link posted?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> RPG General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: