Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Possible Chakra Suggestion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Storm-Wolf
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Possible Chakra Suggestion Reply with quote

So, I've often heard people complaining about Chakra, and in some ways I have to agree I find it a little aggravating at times thinking about how every little thing reduces my ability to use Techniques, more importantly, things like Tadayou and such seem to be able to remain in effect for absurd amounts of times even when the Ninja is "empty" on Chakra and can't really do anything else in the Show. Now, all things considered, some people might think this idea is stupid, that's cool, it's just a rough idea I got while considering things. Smile

Basically: Having extremely large Chakra Pools is kinda silly, instead, have a small "set" Chakra pool. The Wealth System is actually what gave me the idea. (And the fact that just a day's rest is all that's needed for Ninja in Naruto to get their Chakra back.) Essentially...Rather than Chakra Pools of 100 or such, Maybe have a Chakra Pool equal to your Con Score + 1/2 Level. Then set a specific amount of Chakra "If you use a Technique that costs more than 10+Con Bonus Level Chakra, -1 Chakra. If you use a Technique that costs more Chakra than in your current Pool, -1 Chakra."

At 14 Con at level 20 that would only be 24 Chakra, but using Techniques costing 12 or less simply wouldn't touch the Chakra Pool. So things like Tadayou and such can be used constantly without affecting your ability to fight in combat or such.

"Reserve" Chakra would still be usable, you use it to raise your Chakra level up to it's original score. The way I'd personally set it up is that the "Chakra Pool" returns to it's normal score after a night's rest. The Reserve, however, needs time to be rebuilt. (Might also be worthwhile having it be much smaller. Maybe Reserve = 1/2 Level.)

The Advanced Classes that add to Chakra could instead offer short-term Chakra Boosts.(Example: Shinobi Adept could activate Bonus Chakra Ability which raises the Character's Chakra by the Shinobi Adept Level for a set number of turns. These Bonus levels of Chakra are lost first to Chakra expenditures.)

The main problem with this idea would of course be ensuring current Techniques have appropriate Chakra-costs.

Anywho, just an idea I had that I think would make Chakra a lot easier to manage, as well as Techniques. Smile Feel free to comment or tell me I'm horrible!
SirShadow
Biffu Aroi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think since the recent change to chakra, it's fairly well balanced... Nothing really needs fixing IMO.

EDIT: A bit of a problem with your idea is things that cause chakra damage, too.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one thing, making that system baseline is a horrible, horrible idea. For another, what you've described is basically my chakra-less chakra system variant, with chakra.

The long and short of it is this: I'm less interested in making the game true to the series and more to make it fun and engaging to play.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not even true to the series, it was never stated anyone recovered full chakra from a nights rest... my best argument that comes to mind is the Zabuza arc where Kakashi was recovering from the first Zabuza encounter.

Also, when you have to change a thousand different things to fit one mechanic you're working the wrong direction.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Sengoku System
Me: the hizoku attacks you with his yari, your actions?

Max: I evade with a 13 and counter attack with a 1,000... *pause for silence*
Storm-Wolf
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shun wrote:
It's not even true to the series, it was never stated anyone recovered full chakra from a nights rest... my best argument that comes to mind is the Zabuza arc where Kakashi was recovering from the first Zabuza encounter.

Also, when you have to change a thousand different things to fit one mechanic you're working the wrong direction.

While I am perfectly fine with people disliking the idea, the show always has them end up able to use their Chakra quite well the next day. Now, I did specify "Reserve Chakra" should still have a slow recovery rate, as while the ability to basically "Start over" each day(as noted by Kakashi pointing out how many times each day he and Sasuke can use Chidori. If they couldn't recover at least the base Chakra with just a day's rest, then it wouldn't have been noted.) they do often end up tired if exerting themselves into the next day or longer.

As far as this being a horrible idea? Could be. Smile I intend to playtest it though to see how it works. Because for me, the reason I play a Naruto game is to enjoy the Naruto world as shown in the Series.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you wouldn't like the supplements.

Storm-Wolf
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankto wrote:
Sounds like you wouldn't like the supplements.

One can remain true to a show and still have original ideas within it. My point was merely that I do personally prefer rules and systems that do follow the show. My assumption was that since it holds the name of "Naruto" that was the intent.
SirShadow
Biffu Aroi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the game as it stands covers the show/manga fairly well.

Kakashi's 'limit' on Chidori didn't seem to be based on chakra solely
TheTrulyAvaricious
Bijuu/Tailed Beast

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your argument is basically, there isn't enough chakra with the current system, seeing as every other ninja in the show can use WAY more than me. I whole-heartedly disagree.

In case you missed it, the techniques in the mainfile often have an duration that increases as your level does. So, that 1 point cost for Tadayou? Yeah, that has a duration of 1 minute/level. Given (and apologies in advance for quoting a very out-of-date stat block) Kakashi is said in the main file to be level 18, that's 18 minutes for 1 POINT of chakra. In game terms, 18x6=108 rounds. 108 rounds of being able to run on fucking water, for 1 point of chakra.

I fail to even remotely see how that's a bad thing. And as a side note, if you are seemingly running out of chakra far too quickly, you are either a) blasting out highly empowered techniques every attack action, or b) using a build that doesn't complement your playstyle which is clearly heavy nin-blaster. My advice? Go to the Community Creations section and post your build there. There are alot of helpful people on this forum who can, and do regularly help those who ask. That, and stop using ninjutsu every turn. Next to no ninja in the show or the manga uses techniques every round. Most use hand to hand techniques too, and weapons. Even Kisame, the "Tail-less Tailed Beast", uses his sword instead of Suiton every damned round.

The system isn't, and will not, change for people who bitch that they don't have enough chakra points. Especially when your idea suggests that you overhaul several years of hard work done for free.

Rant over. Please have a nice day.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all seem to assume his argument his flawed; it's not, he's absolutely right. The problem is that it's not possible to do it like the series and still retain any kind of balance, and it's a very bad idea to try.

The simple fact is that the system was made for Naruto, not Shippuuden. As much as I'd like for the system to be able to do things like this, and believe me when I say that I really do, I also have to be realistic and realize that it's not feasible.

That's all there is to it, I'm afraid. I still have to cater to the majority of players, the ones who aren't moving mountains and toppling titans.

SirShadow
Biffu Aroi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's fine if you consider Shippuden slightly Pre-Epic/Epic. Once you hit Epic, things go a little crazy.
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've never had a chakra pool problem with my blaster characters.

My most notable one had a chakra pool of 174 and a reserve of 116

That's all from my con score (14) and my combination of classes. I wont even go into the nice class abilities like the Devastator's force of nature ability. Now, for Taijutsu based classes, I've never needed a whole lot of chakra since most of the time I'm hammering away with physical attacks.

Granted, this is just how I play. I'm sure there are those who don't build like this. I spent hours planning the character to make the most out of the potential it was intended to have.

Though, that being said, I'd try any variant out at least once.
TheTrulyAvaricious
Bijuu/Tailed Beast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not bad Hito. And I suppose if you are really suffering from too low chakra, you can either increase it through the Ability Points you get when leveling up, or (if your GM allows it) go for the S-Class Shinobi Con drug. A good thing to have, for that +5 to Con and all the joys it does for your Pool.
NinjaCP
Master of Space and Time

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chakra Growth Drug, as well as the Shuugyou: Kyoudo and Shuugyou: Ninkido series of training techniques can help out a good deal as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: