Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Game with seven players?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> RPG General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
demoralizer
ANBU Leader

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Game with seven players? Reply with quote

If any of you were GMing a Modernized Naruto game, how would you go about the challenge of seven players?

Would you even accept such a challenge?
Naruto d20 Store
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Game with seven players? Reply with quote

demoralizer wrote:
If any of you were GMing a Modernized Naruto game, how would you go about the challenge of seven players?

Would you even accept such a challenge?

Why do you even call that a challenge? I mean, Modern versus traditional Naruto world.

Seven players can be a challenge if the players don't get along, something I see even when the group is only four or five players.
Kimura_Nobu
Banned or Something Like It

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive DM'd and played in both scenarios. Biggest problem is turn rotation and people not paying attention during the 1+ hour before their turn again. With that many, you better expect the group splitting up as much as they can, as often as they can.

That being said, when everythings running smoothly, it can be a blast having that many players.
SirShadow
Biffu Aroi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha... we initiated a 5 minute rule in our game <_< meaning you have 5 minutes to complete your turn.
Faran Kredo
Younin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, maybe I should initiate that rule in my campaign, although often the players don't think enough about their turns (no offence to them, but in that last encounter, there was an obvious point that could be held as a bottle neck, an obvious tank creature, and I had told you that you only needed to hold the line, not necessarily take out the enemy. So what did you do? You ran out and charged the average tank creature (or at least the two defenders of the party did)...)

Anyway, I'm getting off track. Another problem with it is that keeping each character personally involved can be challenging, and they may often split up since they aren't getting their personal chances to truly shine and be involved in the story. Obviously if you're a good gm you can get around that by challenging the party as the whole directly with shared motivations and other things to make them feel like the party is together for a reason and all in this together even if they may have individual reasons for being in the campaign. The key to doing this well is the player backgrounds...

Last edited by Faran Kredo on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
TheTrulyAvaricious
Bijuu/Tailed Beast

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe, for Naruto, that amount of players is actually rather good. You could run two separate groups, making two three-man teams and if possible, one of them could be a Jounin. They could interact either between sessions normally, and in the case of different team make-ups being needed for a different mission, you can literally, mix and match players. This of course, only works if they are willing to deal with this. But it makes for a far more interesting experience, players and GM both.
demoralizer
ANBU Leader

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the input! Smile
Kyrone619
Genin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter what, they will always end up trying to kill each other off for no real reasons.

At least in every game I have played with that many players or more.

Normally easy to split them up into 3 man squads, the left over guy can have npcs, or you can have one squad of 3, two squads of 2 that both have an NPC. However they will still try to kill each other.......
TheTrulyAvaricious
Bijuu/Tailed Beast

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyrone619 wrote:
No matter what, they will always end up trying to kill each other off for no real reasons.

At least in every game I have played with that many players or more.

Normally easy to split them up into 3 man squads, the left over guy can have npcs, or you can have one squad of 3, two squads of 2 that both have an NPC. However they will still try to kill each other.......

The problem here, isn't that you have too many players. Its that the players you have, are massive douchebags. I suggest getting new players, or cutting out the worse offenders. Because I've run for a group of 6 once before, and never had this.
Kimura_Nobu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 6-man DND group I played in, our characters -hated- eachother. Some of us did, and it has led to my own character death, the murder of someones entire family (minus the girls[whores now]) There also was the time someone stole a players blimp, and crashed it into his mage tower. Just Saiyin..
Faran Kredo
Younin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, yeah. The problem is again that with so many players, there are more players that can be problem players, and more chance that personalities will clash and with so many players, it is difficult to mitigate. Also, if the players don't feel that they're here for their own reasons that involve their characters specifically, then they grow bored, and bored players well... do things that everybody later regrets.
Kimura_Nobu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faran Kredo wrote:
Umm, yeah. The problem is again that with so many players, there are more players that can be problem players, and more chance that personalities will clash and with so many players, it is difficult to mitigate. Also, if the players don't feel that they're here for their own reasons that involve their characters specifically, then they grow bored, and bored players well... do things that everybody later regrets.

I regret nothing. If youre bored, make it interesting. Characters do stuff crap, and you deal. Kicking players from the roster because they 'cause miischief' is ridiculous. So those extra people; have fun being the douche that says 'piss off, youre more work than youre worth'.
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimura_Nobu wrote:
Faran Kredo wrote:

I regret nothing. If youre bored, make it interesting. Characters do stuff crap, and you deal. Kicking players from the roster because they 'cause miischief' is ridiculous. So those extra people; have fun being the douche that says 'piss off, youre more work than youre worth'.

While you're entitled to your opinions, I respectfully disagree - most of the time, as long as the players are there to actually play and put the campaign as the priority, there is no issue. If players do 'stuff crap', they find out why there is always someone stronger somewhere in their area willing to kill them / beat them into the ground. It's the GM's job to make certain there is that failsafe in the world.

And a player that is unwilling to listen to the GM should be immediately booted from the game. End of Story. Rule 0 needs to apply - I've had a player recently try to disregard or fight me against that basic rule. And no offense, Kimura, but the players should not feel entitled to treat the GM rudely. We don't run hundred-game campaigns solely out of a desire to be trampled on.
Faran Kredo
Younin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimura_Nobu wrote:
Faran Kredo wrote:

I never said that I would kick people from the roster for this, nor did I say that I personally had ever played in a large game and done this sort of thing. No offence, but you are inferring things from my words that I never said. (and I must support cmkwaski on this one anyway, although usually I don't kick players from a game unless they are making everybody have a worse time OOC. I don't think I've ever kicked somebody from a game for anything they did IC (although I might have had words to them about it afterwards if it was particularly bad).

But now I can see this thread turning into an argument about this, and that isn't what I want. Let's keep it on subject guys. A game with that many players can work very well, you just have to be willing to twist your gming style a tiny bit (unless your style already suits this many players) and you also need to know your players and their motivations to keep them interested.
Kyrone619
Genin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In six years I have never been part of a game that did not come down to PVP.

From college groups, clubs, university groups and the friends that I tried to nerd-up.

......hmmmm maybe it has something to do with me....
DasFoot
Genin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Game with seven players? Reply with quote

demoralizer wrote:

Three genin with your most trustworthy player as their jonin. Then you play as the jonin leading the other three genin. The more inexperienced and messy players.

As for the stories of player murder troubles..
We, 7 to 12 revolving players, played an open world campaign in one complete group. 3 to 4 hour sessions twice a week. For less than 3 years. Only thrice was there a PvP incident!
The first one was planned with the GM before that PC was made, second was the GM possessing a PC, and last was another fink character killing that same possessed PC.
The three small group games I DM'd after that GM left were PK free and I pushed them(specifically a zombie campaign which GM did briefly play in) towards murder at times.

What I'm saying is...get better friends!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> RPG General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: