Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

New to the Forum
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobunFan
Kage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: New to the Forum Reply with quote

Hello, I'm KobunFan. I've been a lurker but I decided to finally join and talk about narutod20. I've got some ideas I'd like to post in community creations. Is there anything I should know? Maybe rules of etiquette that aren't obvious?
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Forum Reply with quote

KobunFan wrote:
Hello, I'm KobunFan. I've been a lurker but I decided to finally join and talk about narutod20. I've got some ideas I'd like to post in community creations. Is there anything I should know? Maybe rules of etiquette that aren't obvious?

Welcome!

1) No Thread Necromancy, please.

2) Be polite. At least until someone else flames you.

3) Have fun!
Felix_Zyphros
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4) Never bug Frankto about when an update/supplement is going to be out. I mean it. Do not do this thing. There will be hell to pay and possible lynchings involved.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

? Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

chaoticangel97
Younin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow me to issue forth a welcome! I love your avatar.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KobunFan
Kage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix_Zyphros wrote:
4) Never bug Frankto about when an update/supplement is going to be out. I mean it. Do not do this thing. There will be hell to pay and possible lynchings involved.

Is it really that bad?

@chaotic: Thank you! I've always loved the little guys.
Jiggy
Genin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen, the more people ask about something and when it'll be coming out, the longer Frankto delays things, most likely out of spite for their impatience.

But, I can't speak for him, so I wouldn't take that to be the prime reason.

Either way, it's a good policy, in my opinion.

Also, welcome and warm greetings. Like others here, I'm sure, I look forward to see what ideas you post in the Creations section.
TheTrulyAvaricious
Bijuu/Tailed Beast

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiggy wrote:
From what I've seen, the more people ask about something and when it'll be coming out, the longer Frankto delays things, most likely out of spite for their impatience.

But, I can't speak for him, so I wouldn't take that to be the prime reason.

Either way, it's a good policy, in my opinion.

Also, welcome and warm greetings. Like others here, I'm sure, I look forward to see what ideas you post in the Creations section.

I'd think of it like this. Imagine having a bratty kid bugging you about when you'll get them a puppy. Now, imagine that this isn't just one kid, but several hundred. That also have the means to bug you at work, play, the pool, wherever. And then when they finally get the puppy, there's always something wrong with it, and they spend the next several months complaining, and saying you should have got them a snake. Even when they said they wanted the puppy in the first place.

Now, considering Frankto releases a supplement ever several months or so, and there are a number of supplements, I can't blame him. I mean, if I'd put up with that for the last 7/8 years, I'd have found a way to strangle those kids. With the puppies they didn't want.

But anyway, welcome to the forum Kobunfan. Enjoy your stay, be excellent to each other and no feeding the trolls. We'll get along juuuust fine Smile
KobunFan
Kage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, well, time to get started!
zolniena
Derp
Derp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me warn you about asking anyone any question. Ever. They will talk down to you and talk as though you're a complete idiot for not being able to find something in the thousands of posts. Now you're ready to 'get started'.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zolniena wrote:
Let me warn you about asking anyone any question. Ever. They will talk down to you and talk as though you're a complete idiot for not being able to find something in the thousands of posts. Now you're ready to 'get started'.

Hey, if the hat fits...

I think you'll find, zolniena, that it's not that users here will typically not simply talk down to people without good reason. It's not so much that as that you're just generally annoying and never really bring anything to the threads you participate in, much like right now. Feel free to move along now.

As for you, KobunFan, welcome to the jungle. And no, it's not really that bad, unless you really go out of your way to be annoying and start stalking me. Dear god I wish I was joking.

Anyway, I guess it used to be a big deal, back when I was pumping out updates every week or so, but now, I really can't be bothered anymore.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
zolniena
Derp
Derp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slandered by the the creator and yet Im the bad guy, right.

Why is it that if I say youre annoying, Im banned. But if you say it, everythings peaches and gravy. That is inequality and an abuse of 'power' if you could name it as such. This is what I meant. Rolling Eyes

Edit: Examples of a 'good reason' to hate on someone: Asking a noob question, misinterpreting a rule, requests for content and necro posting. The big 4.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because this is my website, paid for by my money, fueled by my effort, sustained by my hard work, and nobody really likes you. You talk about equality and power and my so-called abuse of it like it matters, like magically, despite all evidence to the contrary, I did indeed ban you all that time ago at the first sign of trouble.

I'm not a human rights activist, I'm a provider of entertainment. If you get on my case, you can be damn sure you're going to be shot down, especially when you consider that you're getting what you want from me, for free, and I don't come to your house or call your phone to complain to you about it, because that's the way I meant it to be. But all this talk about banning you and you popping up again, still as irritating as ever, has whet my apetite.

But seriously, though, he's right. Don't practice thread necromancy unless you have a good reason, I hear they burn witches at the stake for this kind of stuff. And if you're going to ask a lot of questions, at least try not to act like an entitled asshole, and you should be just fine. As you can see, zolniena didn't understand that.

EDIT: Zolniena, since you assume that I should be doing this like somebody who's paid for it: for the low, low price of USD $25,000, I will listen to your concerns and treat you like the other members of this board whom I do not wish would simply go away (ergo, like any other human being). I will respect and cherish your right to stand up to and disrespect authority simply for the sake of doing so. I will listen to and address your concerns in the same way I might anybody I cross on the street that hasn't repeatedly come to my house while I was throwing a party and pissed on my barbecue, figuratively speaking. This I do swear.

zolniena
Derp
Derp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@KobunFan Welcome to the forum, may you tear from it all that you desire, as we all have.

...what is 'Kobun'?
KobunFan
Kage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.O

I'll keep that in mind.

@zol: Kobun is the Japanese name for Servbot. In an online dictionary, it is directly translated as 'follower' or 'henchman' which is what the little guys are.
chaoticangel97
Younin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KobunFan wrote:
O.O

I'll keep that in mind.

@zol: Kobun is the Japanese name for Servbot. In an online dictionary, it is directly translated as 'follower' or 'henchman' which is what the little guys are.

I now have a sudden desire to find a Tron Bonne avatar.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KobunFan
Kage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I want to create something based on someone else's works, should I ask them first, reference them in the post, or do both?
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KobunFan wrote:
If I want to create something based on someone else's works, should I ask them first, reference them in the post, or do both?

Reference them in the post is fine, typically. Whose works are you referring to, btw? Someone on the board, or someone off the board?
KobunFan
Kage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On board. One of my favorites manga series is Soul Eater. In particular, I really like Kid's guns. According to the manga, they don't fire bullets, they fire his compressed soul wavelength. I'm trying to choose between a technique, an entire prestige class that gives the person that ability to fire chakra instead of projectiles, or just a piece of equipment. All of them have been created on the site so I just wanted to know the procedure before I tried anything.

Does anyone have any ideas about which one might be easier to do?
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KobunFan wrote:
On board. One of my favorites manga series is Soul Eater. In particular, I really like Kid's guns. According to the manga, they don't fire bullets, they fire his compressed soul wavelength. I'm trying to choose between a technique, an entire prestige class that gives the person that ability to fire chakra instead of projectiles, or just a piece of equipment. All of them have been created on the site so I just wanted to know the procedure before I tried anything.

Does anyone have any ideas about which one might be easier to do?

I would go with either a piece of equipment, or a technique. It's too minor an ability for PrC unless those bullets are particularly powerful.
Dairius_Chi
Situationally Useful

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Course, nothing says there can't be a PrC based around them, something as specific as a Soul Edge got one after all.

Hmm... come to think of it, this kind of sounds like using Soul Edge to make a gun, or fire bullets from your fingers might work better visually. Then a sealed item comes along that allows you to channel them better, like the Swordsceptre or Bladestaff.
KobunFan
Kage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!

@Dairius_Chi: That sounds good. I think I'll try that after I make the piece of equipment.

I'm thinking these will be something like battle wire: you can use it normally but it isn't really effective unless you take a prestige class specializing in it. Maybe the class will also be a 3 level class. I've been told making prestige classes with less than 10 levels is much easier.
KobunFan
Kage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This... is actually a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Does anyone have some kind of template for weapons I could use to make the display look nice?
SjachIxen
Genin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankto wrote:
Because this is my website, paid for by my money, fueled by my effort, sustained by my hard work, and nobody really likes you. You talk about equality and power and my so-called abuse of it like it matters, like magically, despite all evidence to the contrary, I did indeed ban you all that time ago at the first sign of trouble.

Frankto wrote:
It puts me on hiatus, tired and burnt out after working on this project alone for nine years. I'll get to you all when I get to you all.

Funny how he says "my own money" but the instant he's reminded that somebody from two years ago never got his commissioned tech he instantly goes on hiatus.

Look. I get that working on this for all this time is tiring, it's hard work, and it's a thankless job. But there comes a point where I have to ask whether printing all those supplements SINCE then was intentionally avoiding what he was initially paid to do, or it completely slipped his mind that his customers were being neglected.

I know this post is coming off as more than a little vindictive, but if I don't put my foot down at least once, it'll get ignored indefinitely.

Additionally, sorry to KobunFan for dragging your thread into the drama, but you deserve to know what to expect, anyway.

"FLUTTERSHY SMASH"
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on hiatus months ago, you prat. But hey, since you're so determined about this, I'm going to go ahead and refund you the extra bit involved in purchasing the commission and take you right off the list.

All $1 USD of it. Take your entitled attitude elsewhere; this isn't the US, and I don't cater to it here.

EDIT: There you go. All done! Now you got what you paid for, with a full refund on what you didn't. All $1 of it. I even paid the fees. Now shoo.

KobunFan
Kage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T_T

Does this kind of thing happen all the time or is my thread somehow generating it?
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No clue, but it does make me wonder why the hell I'm wasting my time here when I could be doing better, more productive things that don't involve my... loving audience.

KobunFan
Kage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noooo!

I still like you Frankto! I promise!
SjachIxen
Genin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankto wrote:
I went on hiatus months ago, you prat.

Wait, what?

I went through 4 pages of your posts in chronological order and couldn't find a single mention of a hiatus.

Where'd you post it?

Edit: additionally, I don't mind you going on hiatus, what I more was annoyed at was that there's no record of you saying that until I asked. If there was a record of it, it wasn't in the forum or your facebook page =\

Edit:Edit: There was obviously a breakdown in communication somewhere between me and you, so I suggest we step back and discuss this rationally...
This is the first I heard of the hiatus, and I even said that I knew it was a thankless job, so I'm not surprised that you finally took a break. What I AM surprised by is that I can't find any mention of you saying "I'm taking a break, don't know when I'll get back etc etc etc".

Given this, you thinking I'm trying being "entitled" by asking for it is natural, since this is WHY you would have gone on hiatus. You probably did post an announcement somewhere, but right now it's somewhere unavailable for viewing.

Edit:Edit:Edit: Actually, what I'm more concerned about is the vehemency of your response. I know I was more than a little asinine, but are you sure the hiatus is working? It seems like you're still really stressed out.

"FLUTTERSHY SMASH"
Felix_Zyphros
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SjachIxen wrote:
<snip>

Looks like someone hasn't been on the forums around too long.

Rule #1 is don't bitch at Frankto to work on something.

Rule #2 is remember rule #1.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

? Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

SjachIxen
Genin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix_Zyphros wrote:
SjachIxen wrote:
<snip>

Looks like someone hasn't been on the forums around too long.

Rule #1 is don't bitch at Frankto to work on something.

Rule #2 is remember rule #1.

Bitching? What I was doing WASN'T bitching at him doing something, it was expressing concern over a lack of information related to him going on hiatus.

THIS is bitching about him doing something.
/bitchy tone activated
OH MY GOD, HE UPDATES SO SLOW, WHY CAN'T HE EVER UPDATE REGULARLY? WHY DOESN'T HE DO THE THINGS I WANT IN THE GAME? MY OPINION IS THE ONLY ONE THAT MATTERS, AND ANYBODY WHO DISAGREES IS COMPLETELY WRONG.
WHY CAN'T HE JUST WORK 24 HOURS A DAY LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE ON THE FORUMS? WHAT KIND OF A JERK INSISTS ON SELLING THINGS SO THEY CAN HAVE MONEY? DOESN'T HE KNOW THAT'S AGAINST THE VERY CONCEPT OF THE INTERNET?
WHY CAN'T I JUST HAVE ALL THE BLOODLINES? I WANT TO HAVE THE RINNEGAN IN A LEVEL 1 GAME, WHY DOESN'T HE JUST MAKE IT A REGULAR BLOODLINE RATHER THAN A TEMPLATE?

/bitchy tone deactivated

Like I said in my previous post, if he said he went on hiatus somewhere, then fine, I haven't got a leg to stand on, and I'm the bad guy. I'm fine with that, and I'm in the wrong.
But if that WAS the first time he mentioned it (I seriously doubt that, but I can't find any information to the contrary right now) then my point is valid.

(INITIALLY my point was "I pay for commission, Frankto updates main file twice and produces two supplements, at least one of which was conceived of after I sent the commission in. Ask about it two years later, get stonewalled by a lack of information related to a hiatus he's on"... I think we've all been there. No? Just me? Maybe I shouldn't have been overly specific. Anywho. My point now is that wherever he posted his initial hiatus announcement isn't public anymore)

"FLUTTERSHY SMASH"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: