Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Questions about the hyuuga clan heriarchy system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyan
Genin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Questions about the hyuuga clan heriarchy system. Reply with quote

Greetings. I've been thinking a bit about the Hyuuga clan and I have realized there are a lot of holes in the whole deal on how their hierarchy system works. Is the Main house only one family (aka hinata's) and is the rest not related to that family considered as a branch member?

Then there comes the case about Neji and Hinata's fathers. They are brothers but as Hinata's father was born first, Nejis was placed in to the branch family. But then Hinata as a little sister...If the same rule applies would not she be a branch member also? But never has this come up or been mentioned. Either im missing something or they are contradicting themselves. Please someone explain this to me if there is any concrete information as to why it is like this.
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about the hyuuga clan heriarchy system. Reply with quote

Nyan wrote:
Greetings. I've been thinking a bit about the Hyuuga clan and I have realized there are a lot of holes in the whole deal on how their hierarchy system works. Is the Main house only one family (aka hinata's) and is the rest not related to that family considered as a branch member?

Then there comes the case about Neji and Hinata's fathers. They are brothers but as Hinata's father was born first, Nejis was placed in to the branch family. But then Hinata as a little sister...If the same rule applies would not she be a branch member also? But never has this come up or been mentioned. Either im missing something or they are contradicting themselves. Please someone explain this to me if there is any concrete information as to why it is like this.

Hinata is the eldest child, however she is so 'untalented' that they treat the next child as the heir and inheritor of the 'main branch'.

You are correct in how the Main House and Branch Houses work in a Clan, however. Basically, the eldest son/daughter (In historical purposes, always the Eldest Son) becomes the inheritor of the family line and property, etc. The other children, the branch families, are there in case something horrible happens to the main branch, but otherwise might even diverge and take on different last names over time.

Secondary sons are the branch families - Neji's case is only unique in that the father and his brother were twins. Normally, there is a greater difference in children than merely that.
SirShadow
Biffu Aroi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only males can be head of a family.
Nyan
Genin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about the hyuuga clan heriarchy system. Reply with quote

cmkawasaki wrote:
Nyan wrote:

Hinata is the eldest child, however she is so 'untalented' that they treat the next child as the heir and inheritor of the 'main branch'.

You are correct in how the Main House and Branch Houses work in a Clan, however. Basically, the eldest son/daughter (In historical purposes, always the Eldest Son) becomes the inheritor of the family line and property, etc. The other children, the branch families, are there in case something horrible happens to the main branch, but otherwise might even diverge and take on different last names over time.

Secondary sons are the branch families - Neji's case is only unique in that the father and his brother were twins. Normally, there is a greater difference in children than merely that.

Okay yeah I kinda understood that. But then a few more questions arise.

1. Why is not hinata then made a branch member and sealed with the mark even tho it goes quite a while from where they say she is not the "heir" to the clan head anymore.

2. And if it is the case of only the first born being considered as a main household member. There would only be 2 or 3 at one time (Grand father/mother, father/mother and son/daughter.) Now this does not really seem smart as that would make it easy to kill the main household during like times of war. And it makes even less sense since they show the main household being several members (10 if you look on the picture showed in the wiki)
Nyan
Genin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirShadow wrote:

Apparently not since Hinatas sister is named the heir.
TheTrulyAvaricious
Bijuu/Tailed Beast

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nyan wrote:
SirShadow wrote:

Apparently not since Hinatas sister is named the heir.

SirShadow most likely means traditional main house and branch house members, like those you'd find in Japan's history. With Naruto, its neither been confirmed or denied that only males can be clan heads. It's been heavily implied though, that females can become clan heads, as suggested with Hinata and then Hanabi being named clan heir.

Whether they'd be required to marry before ascending to clan head status, or some other requirement has yet to be stated.
SirShadow
Biffu Aroi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have no sons, then they'd have to appoint a female.
Shogimaru
ANBU Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about the hyuuga clan heriarchy system. Reply with quote

Nyan wrote:
Why is not hinata then made a branch member and sealed with the mark even tho it goes quite a while from where they say she is not the "heir" to the clan head anymore.

I can't claim to be an expert, especially in the narutoverse, but I believe (historically) women in japan born to the main family in a clan are main family members until they are married off, thus leaving the main house. Something I heard from my Japanese (language) teacher a couple years ago, so I don't know how true it is but it seems to fit.
Nyan
Genin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about the hyuuga clan heriarchy system. Reply with quote

Nyan wrote:
2. And if it is the case of only the first born being considered as a main household member. There would only be 2 or 3 at one time (Grand father/mother, father/mother and son/daughter.) Now this does not really seem smart as that would make it easy to kill the main household during like times of war. And it makes even less sense since they show the main household being several members (10 if you look on the picture showed in the wiki)

Okay so I've got answers on most of my things now. But this question above still remains unanswered.
TheTrulyAvaricious
Bijuu/Tailed Beast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about the hyuuga clan heriarchy system. Reply with quote

Nyan wrote:
Nyan wrote:

Okay so I've got answers on most of my things now. But this question above still remains unanswered.

With a clan as prestigious as the Hyuuga, that could include Great-Grandparents. If you look at such familes even today, they tend to be able to afford the best healthcare, and live a fair bit longer than the human average.
One example is the Japanese Emperor, whose predecessor was 89 before he died. An even better one is Britian previous Queen, Elizabeth I, who was 101 before she died. Following that train of logic, and accounting that most ninja are at their peak physical condition for far longer than human athletes, its pretty likely that they could live as long, if not longer, than the Queen Mother.

Plus, its been heavily implied, if not downright stated, that Hisashi is very lenient on his daughters. There is nothing to say that he is the only clan head who afforded leniency to their children, or even siblings, which may fill out the missing main branch members.

Finally, as always, this is an manga/anime universe. Just because their is usually only 2 or 3 main family members in Japan's clans, does not mean that it must be so in Naruto. Its known as creative licensing.
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just state that Hinata being overlooked as Clan Heir due to her weakness was covered in the manga, in the early chapters (Chapter 78 is the Naruto Wiki's footnote on it's existence). That implies that she was still considered clan heir, which negates the thought that only men can be clan heirs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: