Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Narutod20 Pathfinder?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaoticangel97
Younin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Narutod20 Pathfinder? Reply with quote

Wasn't sure where to put this, we've got a Pathfinder section now but this is still more a Narutod20 topic.

A friend put the idea in my head, but I wanted to get some opinions. Would it be possible to update Nd20 to Pathfinder without causing to many hiccups? I'm thinking I might give this a try as sort of a little project to work on in my spare time.

Now by updating I simply mean adjusting how skills, feats, saves and such work to match how Pathfinder handles them. Other things like classes wouldn't be changeable too much or one would need to completely rebuild the system.

Just a thought that was thrown my way and I wanted to hear some thoughts on it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Felix_Zyphros
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly? It's doable with houserules. A lot of the class stuff needs to be streamlined and put into something that actually fits a pattern, as opposed to "eh, I think this looks balanced".
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

? Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

Reznor
Kage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's guides for converting 3.5 Material to Pathfinder. Use that.

I already do it with a few things (for example, Power Attack.)
Jensik
Sharkbait

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why in the nine hells would you choose Pathfinder's gimped ass Power Attack over 3.5's? You can dish out sooooo much more pain with ImpPA.

The only way I can see that being fair is you also allowed Furious Focus.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd know, wouldn't you. -_-

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
Jensik
Sharkbait

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankto wrote:
You'd know, wouldn't you. -_-

Yes. Yes I would.
Reznor
Kage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jensik wrote:
Why in the nine hells would you choose Pathfinder's gimped ass Power Attack over 3.5's? You can dish out sooooo much more pain with ImpPA.

I choose PF version as a DM, for the same reason that you apparently want 3.5's version.
It's alot more fair IMO and discourages the munchiney play-style that forces everyone in optimized builds.

Nearly unlimited To-hit -> damage trade option makes bonuses to damage hard to stay relevant, especially as more PA tree feats are taken.
Felix_Zyphros
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reznor wrote:
Jensik wrote:

I choose PF version as a DM, for the same reason that you apparently want 3.5's version.
It's alot more fair IMO and discourages the munchiney play-style that forces everyone in optimized builds.

Nearly unlimited To-hit -> damage trade option makes bonuses to damage hard to stay relevant, especially as more PA tree feats are taken.

Do you limit summons to 1 per person? Do you ban Wish, Limited Wish, Miracle, and Divine Metamagic?

DnD by it's nature pushes people towards making optimized builds. Gimping melee'sts, who are already the weakest character option, just punishes your players for not wanting to play spellcasters.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

? Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix_Zyphros wrote:
Gimping melee'sts, who are already the weakest character option,

Hah! That's funny because it's really way, way off base.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankto wrote:
Felix_Zyphros wrote:
Gimping melee'sts, who are already the weakest character option,

Hah! That's funny because it's really way, way off base.

In Naruto D20, they are the strongest character option and probably easiest to Min-Max. This is due to a combination of both additional benefits (All Meleeists can be limited casters and therefore could do extra things), and more importantly, the loss of many important/frustrating defense mechanisms against melee attacks (Jutsus that use DR are rare, Jutsus that provide combat-total concealment are very rare to non-existent, and their primary replacements are usually limited to one technique a round against one attacker.).

This kind of stuff is also somewhat the same for Area-Effecters, but Evasive Manuevers and Evasion/Improved Evasion are much more useful here, as the Area-Attackers are bound by chakra limits, whereas meleeists really aren't.
Reznor
Kage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you limit summons to 1 per person?
No, but I did modify the mechanics so that one has to learn each summon individually (a la unique summons). Summon mechanics are fine to me.
Quote:

Do you ban Wish, Limited Wish, Miracle, and Divine Metamagic?
Never DMed a DnD adventure that went that far. (Which is a different game than what we are talking about.)

Quote:
DnD by it's nature pushes people towards making optimized builds.
But that's not a good thing.

It has too heavy of a shift on what builds are "good" and which ones are "bad"

Quote:
Gimping melee'sts, who are already the weakest character option, just punishes your players for not wanting to play spellcasters.
It doesn't gimp meleeist, it just cuts off a few crazy builds and makes it so that accuracy isn't the only thing worth investing in.

I'm sure this would terribly upset the table dynamic that you have, but it works just fine for the one that I want to have. I got over my powergamer phase a decade ago.
chaoticangel97
Younin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this turned into a different conversation than expected.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Naruto d20 Store
Reznor
Kage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are still talking about a PF mechanic, just we camped out on Power Attack.
Dairius_Chi
Situationally Useful

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the long and short of it all is: There exists a conversion for 3.X to Pathfinder, which would probably work for this- though not seamlessly. One thing Nd20 has that 3.0/3.5 lack is the Defense bonus, which became somewhat engrained into the whole system. Could it work without it? Yeah, but it would seriously shift how combat in general works.

A couple ways around this is to just carry it over as is, no modifications because a Pathfinder'd Nd20 wouldn't change much in the line of offensive capabilities. Medium and Heavy armor for PF are slightly better with their increased AC values, but that's just incentive to not have everyone running around in Mithral Chain Shirts.

Another option I'd thought on is simply borrowing 4E's 'everyone gets half their level as a defense bonus', I think that applied to touch and FF AC so it would fill the same slot as d20 Modern's without the idea that Fast Heroes are simply one of the best classes due to their huge Defense advantage. Maybe a separate talent tree could be made to boost that, I generally found the Deflect Tree kind of worthless when set beside other options.

I think the loss of the Mastercraft system could be a little shocking for most regular Nd20 players, since the idea of getting that extra 1-3 on attack rolls (or damage, but that's generally a second priority for my offense) or AC is much cheaper and easier to get ahold of.
Redfire085
Special Jounin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall posting the modern pathfinder website, it recently updated with rules for magic IIRC, including rules for changing the classic modern advanced classes (soldier, gunslinger, techie, etc.) into archetypes for the standard PF classes (soldier and gunslinger to fighter, techie to alchemist). Could use that as a basis for converting the Nd20 to PF rules?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: