Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Tales from Sullapolis, a modern-day Pathfinder Supplement
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Pathfinder Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reznor
Kage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on this? Is this an active project or just something you're rolling around?

Also, any chance you'd post the base weapons (like infantry assault rifle, pocket pistol, etc.)?
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No updates right now. As for the weapons... eh, they're out there somewhere, in a very, very early form. If you want them that badly, I'm sure you can find them.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More updates! New appendix, new tables, table of contents, new cars, new this and that and the other thing. This project is beginning to look pretty damn good.

I've added rules for stripping firearms, modifying vehicles, refined the rules for loans, some new melee weapons and armor. And a goddamn flame thrower. And some new mines (incendiary and bounding mines, specifically).

Elon
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I was talking to a friend about d20 modern and the fact we don't like the magic/psionic part of it. We agreed that if we were to DM a setting were magic awakens, the magic and psionic powers featured on d20 modern will only cover the "half awakened state".

Will you tinker with the FX powers too?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, uh... huh?

I don't think I'm doing what you think I'm doing, man. The project isn't a d20 Modern to Pathfinder port, it's a Pathfinder Fantasy to Modern Day port. Rules for running a game in the 21st century that don't necessarily have to involve you hunting dragons (although it works perfectly fine for that too if you want).

So I guess to answer your question... yes and no. Spellcasting (and third party psionics) continue to work the same way they do in Pathfinder, which is to say: to their full extent.

Reznor
Kage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankto wrote:
No updates right now. As for the weapons... eh, they're out there somewhere, in a very, very early form. If you want them that badly, I'm sure you can find them.
Well, kind of hard to google "Pathfinder firearms" and not get actual gun stuff or just the base rules.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A determined individual would not let that stop him. Anyone else will have to wait until the book is out. Rolling Eyes

Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now with more feats, more style feats (Boxing, Eskrima (and Eskrima Master), Fencing, Jeet Kune Do, Judo, Kendo, Krav Maga, Muay Thai, Wrestling and Wushu), more story and more formatting. Currency, exchange rates, equipment availability, the black market. Legal sanctions, loan sharks, credit card fraud.

And a rent-a-cop.

Clocking in at 95 pages, and we're ready for one more day.

Reznor
Kage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm digging styles being a more used mechanic.

Are these trees or just robust individual feats?
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each style is a two-feat path.

Viladin
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interested in seeing the book come out, Frankie. Smile I always wished someone would do an adequate pathfinder conversion.
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viladin wrote:
Very interested in seeing the book come out, Frankie. Smile I always wished someone would do an adequate pathfinder conversion.

Whaddya know, you ARE still alive!

Well, here's another progress report of things that changed:
— 110 pages in
— Feats section 80% complete (about 25 feats done right now)
— Equipment section 70% complete
— Modern weapons (melee, ranged, firearms, explosives and siege) 85% complete
— Around 50 traits
— Vehicles section 75% complete
— Magic chapter 25% complete
— Modern life chapter 40% complete
— Overall progress: 60% complete

Compiling the equipment section has been long, tedious work. But it's got to be done. That and feats. And then there's things that are basically left untouched: the Classes section for new classes and archetypes, the Sullapolis section and the Siege Engine section.

On the plus side, if I finish the modern siege engines, chapter 4 will be 100% complete. So there's that.

Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me sags.

Okay. 3 days and 13,839 words later, the equipment section is 90% done. All that's left is lifestyle and services, and the rest of the street drugs. Fun fact: If you take LSD or psilocybin, there's a small chance you can enter a meditative trance afterward that'll let you answer one question like the Augury spell.

As a side note, the project is now officially called...

Tales from Sullapolis: Modernized

Dairius_Chi
Situationally Useful

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I hear more about this I get more excited to see it finished- a good modern pathfinder setting is something I've been wanting for a while now.
Reznor
Kage

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty awesome
Viladin
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankto wrote:

Whaddya know, you ARE still alive!

Can never keep a pirate dead, matey!

Looking good! Keep up the great work. Smile
Kage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume this will be a while, since Nd20:PoP is being released soon?
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This project is months from being released at the very least, possibly a year or more.

Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took a while to come up with a decent system to make these things work, but now that I finally did I'm looking for outside thoughts and opinions on a few plot devices I coughed up. If you've got a second, I'd appreciate it if you'd check them out and give me some feedback. The reason for these is to spruce up spellcasting a bit and give casters more interesting options without completely throwing balance out the window, or adding enormous bonus to damage.

Blood Magic
A mage is deadly by any definition, but he or she becomes considerably more so in possession of some of its target's blood. When casting a spell that affects one or more targets within range, the caster can channel the magic through fresh blood and affect the target with the spell without having line of sight or line of effect to it. In order to do so, he or she must have a clear mental image of the target. This picture doesn't have to be accurate to any specific degree, but it must match the creature as she knows it. For example, a wizard having encountered a red dragon in disguise could target it with a spell in its true form even if she had never seen it, as long as she has a vial of its blood. This spell can only be used to direct magic that doesn't directly affect an area (so, for example, it could be used as part of inflict light wounds, but not to aim a fireball spell).

Blood can only be used for this purpose once, because it burns up after magic is channeled through it, leaving behind only very distinctive, dull brown ashes. A subject under the effect of a protection from evil spell, a magic circle against evil spell, a hallow spell or a similar effect, can apply the benefits of the protection against blood magic and receive a second saving throw against the effect. Protected creatures also always know they are being targeted by blood magic.

Souls as Currency
Many claim that the soul is the core of one's being, and they aren't far from the truth. After all, there is a very good reason why so many demons and devils want nothing more than to own it, and for why angels want nothing more than to protect it. This section doesn't delve into the myriad of different ways to sell one's soul, like making a deal with a contract devil, for instance. Rather, it deals with the complications involved after the transaction is complete. There are two stages to this problem: the Before and the After.

During the Before stage, the character's soul is in escrow, but he or she still retains the full benefits of possessing a soul. However, the creature to whom the soul was promised, the true owner of the soul, gains unholy power over the character. That creature gains a +10 circumstance bonus on any skill check made to compel or alter the attitude of the character, and a +5 circumstance bonus on the saving throw DC of any compulsion, charm or enchantment spell or effect it uses against the character. Despite this, a general and prevalent sense of unease and a mild aversion to holy grounds, the character suffers no other negative effects for having sold his or her soul.

The After stage, on the other hand, is not only very rare, but also dramatically more nefarious. This condition occurs after the character has already lost his or her soul, either after having sold it, died and been brought back to life without it, or through a freak accident. In a case where a character sold his or her soul, the creature it was sold to has already taken possession of the soul and no longer has any special power over the character. As a result, however, the character becomes as an empty shell and loses his or her alignment, effectively becoming completely unaligned. All access to feats and class abilities that require an alignment is lost. Any spell or effect that affects a particular alignment always affects the character in the worse possible way. Furthermore, the character becomes completely immune to emotion and fear effects, and gains no benefit from morale bonuses. Finally, the character always fails saving throws made to resist possession.

All of these conditions last until the deal is broken or a lost soul is recovered, something which is typically beyond the scope of normal miracle and wish spells.

The Power of True Names
The true name of a creature is a metaphyscial representation of its nature. As such, it is an ever changing construct that can only be captured for a short amount of time. There are two steps required to properly make use of a creature's true name: the Discovery, and the Invocation. They are described below. The Discovery: The process of learning a creature's true name is an involved and complicated one that requires an extensive study of the subject's life up to this point. Because true understanding of the subject is required, this step cannot be delegated. The character must succeed on a number of Diplomacy checks to gather information equal to the subject's challenge rating, minimum one check. The DC for these checks is 30, and is modified by the character's familiarity with the subject (+10 to the DC if the character has little or no knowledge of the subject, +5 with secondhand knowledge of the subject and –5 if the character is familiar with the subject). Failing one or more of these checks might draw unwanted attention on the character, and failing two checks consecutively causes the process to fail entirely and forces the character to start again from the beginning. Each attempt takes one day.

Once enough information has been gathered, the character must immediately undergo a divination ritual that takes 24 hours to complete and requires 100 gp ($2,000) per hit die of the subject in material components. To complete this ritual, the character must succeed on a Knowledge check of the appropriate specialty relating to the subject. The DC for this check is 20+the subject's CR, and it cannot be retried without first completing the first step over again.

Completing this ritual imbues the character with powerful divination magic for exactly seven days. The next time the character lays eye on the subject, he or she will innately know its true name.

The Invocation: When a true name is known, it is known on a level that goes beyond physical. It cannot be written, or passed down or simply picked up by hearing another creature speak it. In fact, the mere ability to invoke a true name requires knowledge of a magical language, a universal tongue that all sentient creatures can understand on a subconscious level. This language is known by scholars simply as words of worlds, and is thought to be the language spoken by God, if such a being truly exists.

Invoking a creature's true name has one of three effect, and all require the character to make a Linguistics check. The DC of this check is 25+the creature's CR. The first invocation allows the character to compel the creature as a standard action. This has the effect of a suggestion spell cast by a 20th level character. The DC to resist this effect is 10+one-half the character's level+the character's key spellcasting ability bonus. A successful save renders the creature immune to any further compulsions by the character for 10 minutes.

The second invocation can be accomplished when casting a spell with a vocal component. Invoking a true name this way imposes a –5 penalty on any saving throw the creature might need to make against the spell, and allows the character to automatically overcome the creature's spell resistance.

Finally, the third and final invocation is also a byproduct of the first two. Whenever a creature hears its true name spoken aloud, it is struck by a sense of dread and becomes shaken for 1 hour. These invocations are spell-like abilities.

Ephemereal Power: For all of its dreadful power, a true name is a highly mutable metaphysical construct, and only stays useful for so long. A creature's true name can be invoked for up to 1 year, or until it gains a level or hit dice, or until it undergoes a life-changing event, whichever comes first. From that point on, its true name changes forever and its history must be studied all over again.

Also, here's a progress update, because why the hell not.
  • Chapter 1: Skills, Feats, Traits and Classes — 85% complete.
    • Skills 100% complete
    • Feats— 100% complete
    • Traits — 90% complete
    • Classes and Archetypes — 50% complete
  • Chapter 2: Equipment — 100% complete
  • Chapter 3: Weapons, Armor, Firearms, Explosives and Siege Engines — 100% complete
  • Chapter 4: Magic, Spells and Magic Items — 60% complete
    • Magic — 0% complete
    • Spells — 90% complete
    • Magic Items — 90% complete
  • Chapter 5: Modern Life — 85% complete
    • Day to day life — 80% complete
    • Criminal underworld — 100% complete
    • Vehicles — 100% complete
    • Afflictions and Disasters — 60%
  • Chapter 6: Setting Guide — 25% complete
  • Appendix 1 — 100% complete
  • Appendix 2 — 25% complete
  • Appendix 3 — 100% complete
  • Appendix 4 — 75% complete
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Total Progress: 75%

ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blood Magic is still my favorite of the systems. It could so be used by a mage assassin, assuming they do their homework first and gather the appropriate materials (and they should, or else they fail as an assassin).
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well holy goddamn. I can't believe it's been two years since I posted anything in this thread. The project hasn't been abandoned or anything, just slowed down by various hurdles. That said, I can still give a progress update, so let's jump right into it!
  • Chapter 1: Skills, Feats, Traits and Classes — 85% complete.
    • Skills 100% complete
    • Feats— 100% complete
    • Traits — 100% complete
    • Classes and Archetypes — 50% complete
  • Chapter 2: Equipment — 100% complete
  • Chapter 3: Weapons, Armor, Firearms, Explosives and Siege Engines — 100% complete
  • Chapter 4: Magic, Spells and Magic Items — 75% complete
    • Magic — 25% complete
    • Spells — 90% complete
    • Magic Items — 100% complete
  • Chapter 5: Modern Life — 85% complete
    • Day to day life — 90% complete
    • Criminal underworld — 100% complete
    • Vehicles — 90% complete
    • Afflictions and Disasters — 75%
  • Chapter 6: Setting Guide — 50% complete
  • Appendix 1 — 100% complete
  • Appendix 2 — 25% complete
  • Appendix 3 — 100% complete
  • Appendix 4 — 75% complete
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Total Progress: 80%

It may not look like much has changed, but a whole lot of filler has been replaced by actual text, and a bunch of things have been added that may skew the overall apparent progress of each individual section.

The real irony for me is that I got started in this business pumping out classes like nobody's business over ten years ago, and the biggest thing holding me back is my complete and utter lack of drive to get work done on the three new classes I need to finish to create a seamless no-magic gameplay experience -- and getting that done would most likely catapult the project onward.

That said, I'm still chugging along. Here is a look at what my to do list looks like, as far as immediate priorities go:
  • Chase rules (foot, land vehicle and air vehicles, dogfighting)
  • Expanding vehicular stunts to enhance chase gameplay
  • Add a slew of new spells to interface with the modern world
  • Complete a new contacts and hirelings system
  • Modern-styled "monsters" (militarized drones, vehicles as monsters, etc.)
  • A simpler and better way of handling ID and licenses
  • Rules governing the use of assembly lines and mass production
  • The Grimm Council, a magical government that is an integral part of the Tales from Sullapolis setting.
  • Fluff sections detailing things like passive surveillance, going off-grid, extortion, money laundering, gambling, how the various levels of magic impact modern society, and other additions
  • A 6500x5000 map of Sullapolis, detailing every street, district and city block.

Anyway, that's it for now. Thoughts, comments, and thoughtful comments are welcome as always.

ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see things are coming along. Having seen some of the content for myself, I'm excited to see the final product.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit damn! After all this time I finally completed the second of three new classes. I still haven't check out Starfinder's project-destroying potential but I heard it's shit so there's still hope.

chaoticangel97
Younin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot for progress!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Naruto d20 Store
Jensik
Sharkbait

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfinder is space sci-fi so I think you're good.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about design and how much easier it would be adapted to Modern-day stuff, not about whether or not the base system fits the bill.

Dairius_Chi
Situationally Useful

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah sweet, this project is one I've had a lot of interest in, modern d20 systems being what they are...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Pathfinder Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: