Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Rank and Complexity Rating

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaffleyOne
Genin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Rank and Complexity Rating Reply with quote

So I`m about to start a game for my players, and some are interested at some point in inventing techniques for their characters. Now what it would be like, I imagine, is not being dissimilar from creating a spell for D&D, propose the stats and have the game master sign off. Basically the only thing I have much concern for is the complexity rating and rank, is there some sort of guide to getting a fix on these things (also I was working on a character who was basing her style on improving and varrying one low-ish level move, and figured initially that raising it would always be good, until I noticed Chidori Stream was a lower rank than its base which just..... confuzzled me.) Anything from tips, to a soft/hard guideline, would be GREAT.
chaoticangel97
Younin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure someone with more experience will be able to pop in with some input, but I feel I can share my opinions on this topic.

A lot, and I mean A LOT, of work in making a technique is eyeballing. Like with spells in D&D there aren't a lot of hard set rules for making them. You mainly need to use common sense. When I make techniques I generally follow three quick steps to figure out the rank/complexity.
Step 1: Look at the effects I want to use in the technique, and then come up with a basic idea of what the minimum level character I could see using something like this is.
Step 2: Look for techniques with a similar premise and judge whether my technique is stronger or weaker, this will help give a basic frame of reference on what the rank and perhaps complexity rating should be.
Step 3: When all else fails, look at a D&D spell with a similar effect and power, then look at the earliest level such a spell can be learned (cause believe me, with all the additional content books for D&D 3.5, there is sure to be a spell that does what you are doing). Use that as a basic starting point on the rank decision.

Other factors go into determining how technique rank connects to technique power. For example, a Rank 10 Ninjutsu technique that does direct damage (such as Godai Ransatsu: Shodan) usually, but not always, has a max damage of 16d6. Where as a Rank 14 Ninjutsu, Godai Ransatsu: Yondan, generally has a max damage of 24d6. For techniques that do direct damage in big amounts looking at the Godai techniques for example gives a decent frame of reference for determining ranks.

Basically, the best advice I can give is look at the technique that was made, then look at techniques in the main file of about the same level of power and use the rank/complexity of those techniques to judge where the homebrew technique should be. Don't just copy of course unless you're fairly comfortable with that rank/complexity. A lot of this really is eyeballing, so as GM a lot just kinda falls on your judgement and common sense.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
keksmuzh
Kage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rank and Complexity Rating Reply with quote

WaffleyOne wrote:
So I`m about to start a game for my players, and some are interested at some point in inventing techniques for their characters. Now what it would be like, I imagine, is not being dissimilar from creating a spell for D&D, propose the stats and have the game master sign off. Basically the only thing I have much concern for is the complexity rating and rank, is there some sort of guide to getting a fix on these things (also I was working on a character who was basing her style on improving and varrying one low-ish level move, and figured initially that raising it would always be good, until I noticed Chidori Stream was a lower rank than its base which just..... confuzzled me.) Anything from tips, to a soft/hard guideline, would be GREAT.

One thing to keep in mind is that usually, if a technique is both awesome enough and unique enough for someone to need to invent it, it's probably fairly powerful. Unless it's a minor utility tech that just doesn't happen to be in the main book, I would imagine very few custom techniques will be less than B-class. Also keep in mind that S-rank techs are very often (though not always) forbidden in some way, so if a PC wants to invent an S-rank at level 6...that's probably no bueno.

Rank is basically a matter of asking yourself a question; at what Character Level would I be comfortable with a player having this technique? Basing it on existing techniques helps, but for more unique effects it's important to consider the ramifications of a low, mid, and high level party having access to it, and ranking accordingly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: