Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Help with Jounin Generation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Beginner's Lodge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ladev
Genin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Help with Jounin Generation Reply with quote

I am currently DMing for a group of six players, and I'm having a hard time generating a pair of Jounin for them to have. The biggest issue I have is how to build their levels, and how many levels to give them. I can figure out the numbers later on my own time, but I just need a balanced template for a Jounin.

TL;DR: Two Jounin, I need levels. A set of techniques for both are optional, but I feel that I'm somehow going to give them either too strong or too weak techniques to start with.
TheTrulyAvaricious
Bijuu/Tailed Beast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

At the start of Chapter VIII: Ninja Ranks you are provided with a table that details the average level of characters at different ranks. Jounin are listed as being 12th level and up.

As to what level, it entirely depends on just how powerful you intend them to be. By basis of comparison in the statblocks of iconic characters, Anko Mitarashi is ECL 15 (level 14 +1 for the curse seal), Kakashi is ECL 21 (level 19, 2 bloodline levels for his Sharingan) and Might Guy is level 17. These are horribly outdated due to general power shift of the series, and so while not necessarily represent the characters as they are now, they are invaluable in that at least at the start of the series they are fairly accurate.

Decide if you want bloodlines for these jounin, as it contributes to the overall ECL and chances are requires a few feats to get started and make the most out of it. What is your intention for them? Do you want them to be Genin cell leaders? Backup for a dangerous mission?

When I generate characters I try to decide before I begin what I want them to be. I play a bit of word association, and try to identify 3 or 4 things I attribute to the characters. So for Kakashi, those words/phrases would be "powerful", "implanted Sharingan", "ex-ANBU" and finally "generic". This to me tells me he's a much higher level than his peers (but not as high as the average Kage), has an implanted Sharingan and so has the Advanced Bloodline feat after level 1. He's generic so he will most likely have most if not all of the Ninja Scout levels, and ex-ANBU means he will have levels in Ninja Operations Counter.

You can do the same things with stats and feats, such as "smart" if the character favours intelligence over other stats, and "genius at Ninjutsu" to represent him having the Genius Nin (ninjutsu) feat. Skills kind of fall into place afterwards, as most feats and all classes have some sort of prerequisites which will taken up alot of your skill points.

Hopefully I've given you a few pointers to get you started.

Kind regards,
TheTrulyAvaricious
Ladev
Genin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on having them stay as long-term teachers and currently, a leader for the Genin cells. I think I'll have the levels range around 13-15, thank you.

Also, what thread here would I be able to look at other players' adventures or DM's sharing highlights or funny experiences?
Dominic1808
Genin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you don't make your Teacher Jonin level 13-15, it makes them way more powerful and any fight that comes in the player's way could be stopped by the join in like 4 rounds. I suggest making the jonin around 4-5 to start and then level them up as the players do. It'll allow the Jonin to stay within reason.
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominic1808 wrote:
I suggest you don't make your Teacher Jonin level 13-15, it makes them way more powerful and any fight that comes in the player's way could be stopped by the join in like 4 rounds. I suggest making the jonin around 4-5 to start and then level them up as the players do. It'll allow the Jonin to stay within reason.

Jounin by nature are going to be higher-leveled. The key is to not weaken them, but to remove them from situations where they can dominate a fight. If they do, just adjust the XP reward to account for their involvement (which will encourage players to not rely on them).

The best example of how to do this is the Land of Waves Arc in Naruto, where you have an enemy only the Jounin can effectively deal with while leaving the grunts/lower-level appropriate boss to the players.
Athildur
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while, but let me just add a thing:

Remember that a Jounin 'mentor' is probably traveling with your Genin as ensurance. They are not *really* there to fight, they're probably there to guard the Genin from encounters they could not hope to survive, and might otherwise simply be there to aid them (advice, help, diplomatic relations with other territories, etc).

So even if there *is* an encounter, the Jounin is more likely to stealthily observe the group's actions, and potentially give advice once the encounter ends (or possibly intervene if things go terribly bad for the group).
Dominic1808
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But genin shouldn't be in danger ever. That's why the campaign I'm GM'ing I'm making it take place during the warring state... that and if the players get really on my nerve I can do the Naruto d20 version of the Tomb of Horrors... Make Madara Appear lol.
Ladev
Genin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeronosVega wrote:
Dominic1808 wrote:

Jounin by nature are going to be higher-leveled. The key is to not weaken them, but to remove them from situations where they can dominate a fight. If they do, just adjust the XP reward to account for their involvement (which will encourage players to not rely on them).

The best example of how to do this is the Land of Waves Arc in Naruto, where you have an enemy only the Jounin can effectively deal with while leaving the grunts/lower-level appropriate boss to the players.

The suggestion to add a mob for fights that legit exists for the Jounin is actually a darn good idea. I'm definitely implementing that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Beginner's Lodge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: