Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Mastery time, Sense Chakra

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Beginner's Lodge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keldon_Draconian
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Mastery time, Sense Chakra Reply with quote

2 Questions:

1) Who exactly can "sense chakra"? IMHO, most heroic characters of Nd20 should be able to...

2) If you beat the Learn DC for Masterying techniques by 10 or more, do you learn that "step" of mastery at the normal time or half of the time? (The same goes for beating the dc by 20 and so on)
multirp
Chuunin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Some items (such as the ANBU/Hunter Nin Mask) give you the ability. Or, more precisely, allows you to do it better. ANBU Mask specifically states that if you can't before, then you can't after.

IMO, all shinobi should be able to as well *shrugs* I haven't actually found anything in the book, and am beginning to think maybe it wasn't taken out when See Chakra was put in?

One thing we are doing in a game I'm in is an ANBU member is able to see chakra via the mask. Seems to work out well overall, because we can't for the life of us figure out exactly what Sense Chakra is, or how to get it. Could be wrong, and feel free to bludgeon me over the head with a pillowcase of kunai if someone knows and can point to that info.

2) Again, my opinion, if you beat the Learn DC by 10, it halves the time required to master it. So if something takes 10 days to learn (and 10 days for first step of mastery), beat the Learn DC by 10 and it goes down to 5. 20 and it goes to 2.25.

Fifth stage of mastery would take 30 days (thrice normal learning time), adjustable to 15 and 7.5 days respectively. I haven't seen it in black and white, but I'd have to infer that since beating the learn check quickens the process, it does with mastery as well.

-MultiRP
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Athildur
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, technically it's up to your GM but I've noticed that in general game terms, all shinobi can sense chakra.

It's not in any character class description, it's just an innate shinobi ability.
multirp
Chuunin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athildur wrote:
It's not in any character class description, it's just an innate shinobi ability.

That's kind of what I figured as well, because there are numerous places where 'Sense Chakra' is stated, but it's never explicitly said how they come about getting that ability in the first place. Especially with...

Nd20 Handbook; Gear - ANBU Mask wrote:
When worn, the wearer of an ANBU mask gains a +2 bonus to Spot checks, and can Sense Chakra as though he was three levels higher, though this ability does not work if the wearer cannot naturally sense chakra.

If all shinobi can naturally do it, then it should be mentioned in the description of the ability, otherwise there'd have to be some way to aquire the ability. My GM ruled, for instance, that sense chakra all shinobi can do (with I agree with), and an item like an ANBU mask would allow one to see chakra (rather than sense it as if you were three levels higher). Whereas a Hunter-Nin mask might allow to See Through Chakra (don't know to be honest, it's never come up)

I do see "A character able to sense chakra must...", but that's about it. Might be nice to include 'All shinobi naturally can sense chakra' or the like if it's intended.

-MultiRP
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1-It is generally up to the GM who can and can't do it, same goes with suppressing one's chakra. I need to devise a system to make it more refined, but I still haven't come up with anything.

2-Half time.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
multirp
Chuunin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankto wrote:
1-It is generally up to the GM who can and can't do it, same goes with suppressing one's chakra. I need to devise a system to make it more refined, but I still haven't come up with anything.

Ah, ok. I was kinda confused because Hunter-Nin mask allows one to sense chakra as if five levels higher, and then states that someone gains this benefit even if they couldn't normally sense chakra. Which seems to imply that some Hunter-Nin can't normally sense chakra to 'find out' about it. Or that an ordinary got ahold of the mask... either way.

-MultiRP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Beginner's Lodge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: