Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Host a game (Version 2- Now with an idea!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  

(After reading) Would you be interested?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 12 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

Hitsen
Kage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Host a game (Version 2- Now with an idea!) Reply with quote

Well, I just had a flash of insight that I wanted to put forth to you all. If you'll notice, I posted something about hosting games on this forum for a simplistic way of playing Naruto online. I got a few people who agreed and a few people that suggested sites like RPOL and such.

But, what about this idea (I have seen idea's similar to this for other games)-

Basically, we set up a new forum and/or chat for role playing Nd20. The forum and/or chat is set up so that everyone plays a character in the village. The chat is run by several GM's (Read: Admins/Mods) who run events and adventures. These games create a more 'real life' approach to the game, where players interact and role play a lot with other players instead of only playing missions. Players create more realistic and fun characters who aren't based on killing that high leveled jounin from the enemy village.

This type of game has been popular recently on sites such as 'Five Rings Online' (An legend of the 5 rings site), 'Wanton Wicked' (World of Darkness) and other sites.

It presents a new type of game, where players aren't making characters that are designed for beating high level missions, but instead have to be designed for surviving everyday life as well as missions. (After all, a character with 18 Str, Dex, and Con may be scary on the battlefield, but in an everyday situation, they are simply big smucks)

The general idea might be strange and I dont know if I am entirely portraying what I mean (which I hope I can do in a minute with the following). However, believe me, it is really cool.

Most of the sites work like this:
-After signing up, You create a character using the character creation rules. Most sites have a simple page that helps you do this (I say simple, but I honestly dont know if it really is that easy to create.)
-After you create your character, you sign into the chat and have a GM approve your character.
-You play in the chat at any time. You can interact with your team or with other people in the village (other teams, jounin, etc.). You dont just interact with 3 players and a GM, you interact with a bunch of players and a bunch of GMs.
-Players are rewarded experience for playing IC (up to a certain amount per week) plus additional experience, which is awarded by the GM's for good games and missions.
-Players also keep track of what their characters are doing in a character thread on the forums. This is suppose to work like a diary of sorts, except characters may put in request for gaining exp, status, equipment, skills, etc. It also helps the GM's make stories for the characters.

So, does anyone else think this might be an idea worth pursuing? Just as a note, I dont want the people here to think that I am trying to take people away from their site. I am just trying to create a fun and interesting place for people to play Nd20 more often. I've seen this idea work for several other games and I think that it could work here as well.

Let me hear some opinions. People, give me a ball park idea of what you guys and gals think and if something like this is even worth the time.

Oh, and thanks for listening to all of this. ^_^
Naruto d20 Store
Tetsunamaru
Jounin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound interesting but, I would have to wonder, with the d20 system how we would keep people in the same timeframe. During battle a minute ingame can take a long time and others might go explore every building in a town in the same time.
Cried "Stay!" for me in the empty square.
Elon
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's way too dificult to make what you're saying. It needs a lot of work, a lot of time and a very active community.

Edit: Though it would rock. You have to know that we once had a PitFights forum, where Frankto and others were gming/playing fights between characters. You just had to make a char, send it to the gm and go to the IRC, were you just arranged fights. They had to give up on it due to the lack of interest. As the 'Write an character background' one... *sigh*

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
hastur
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is fun indeed but as Elon said it would be very hard to set something like that up and keep it going.

Oh, and as for pitfights, mentioned by Elon, that were here in the past - those could be quite doable, especially since the community has grown considerably from that time. I know a bit about it because I have something like that set up on my own forums... (to be honest it's the only part of my forum that gets some activity semi-regularly Laughing )
One in - turn an enemy's hate.
------------------------------------------------
Cujo
Chuunin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good intentions, but I think you're underestimating just how much work this would take.
It'sAmosTrask
Genin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be fun, but would take tons of effort.

It would be worth it, though.
Fredto
Mr. Grumpy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

If there is enough demand and if Frankto approves, I will set the board for you.

I will appoint moderators with Frankto and it will be THEIR job to make it work. If everything goes to hell, nobody uses it or stuff like that, it may be deleted before you can say Rock Lee.

Keep in mind that Frankto will decide if it happens here or not.
Athildur
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this plan goes to working, I would be happy to provide all the support I can, as GM or coordinator or whatnot.

I'd like a game that runs (more or less) according to plan... ?_?
Infinitus
Holiday Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*throws at athildur black sheeps* handle this! Wink

i cannot help (i have my own business)

but i'm interrested Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*looks at the black sheep* They'll make do for target practise. We're having mutton for dinner, it seems Razz.
It'sAmosTrask
Genin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Games can run according to a plan? And here I was thinking of it as war..."All plans last until the first charge" or something.
Athildur

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant according to plan as in, at (more or less) the time and date that has been agreed upon lol.

In game, it's like love and war: all is fair. Especially if you're GM with uber powers and can torment the players endlessly if they're doing their best to be completely annoying on the very verge of legalness.
Ryu755
Chuunin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested, let me know how things turn out.
Hitsen
Kage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cujo wrote:
Good intentions, but I think you're underestimating just how much work this would take.

Haha, I usually do.
After posting this, I began to do a bit of research and discovered a few things that might help.
The software/Hardware is a bit more expensive then I had originally expected. Not a whole lot, but while I was expecting a hundred to a couple hundred bucks, I wasnt expecting thousands. I looked over several different software companies and their chat programs and so far, the cheapest I could find was $10 a month (or $80 for a year) for the software, plus $250-400 liscense fee for using their servers. I tried to find some others, as well, but a large number of them were either fishy (Chat Programs for sale on Yahoo GeoCities? Rolling Eyes ) or way to expensive (One of which was a $100+ a month, plus $800 to even buy the software.)

However, if anyone would like to suggest any software/hardware/web sites that I might check out (I remember someone mentioning this to me before that they knew of one).

Also, just to try and get some confidence in me, I just wanted to say I'm not a 13 year old punk or anything. I am a college student that recently discovered the very coolness which is Naruto. If we start something, I'm not going to abandon it half way through or anything. I really want to see this idea come into being if we have enough people who are interested.

Also, thanks for mentioning this, if Frankto wishes to say either Yea or Nay to this project, I will respect his wishes.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me the short version of what you want to do, then I'll give you the short version of my answer.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: