Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

OGL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Naruto d20 Main File
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arawn
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: OGL Reply with quote

What portions of Naruto d20, are Open Game Content according to the OGL. The presence of license without any further information indicates that all of it could be Open Game Content. I would appreciate clarification on this point. Additionally the copyright notice specifies that "Unauthorized distribution of this entirely free product is strictly forbidden unless you have the authorization of both Frankto Vinneti and Masashi Kishimoto." Now does this mean that you have received authorization from Masashi Kishimoto? And additionally what is unauthorized distribution since according to the OGL, one is authorized to modify and distribute the Open Game Content.
Tetsunamaru
Jounin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I can clear this up. Note: I am in NO way an authority on this, I speak to the best of my knowledge but, I can't exactly say you can copy the material and change it or anything.

The entire product is made under the open game licence, thats what allows us to make our material compatable with the d20 system and call it a Modern suppliment.

Just below that is the copyright, that is not part of the OGL. That means that while this product is under the OGL it is still property of Frankto Vinneti and thus you may not copy or modify it without his permission.

The reason the copyright names Masashi Kishimoto
is that the product uses concepts and ideas based from her work. Thus, should you wish to use material from this book you would need permission from Frankto because you are using his designs, and Masashi because it is her concept.

Thats my understanding, I hope it helps your question.
Cried "Stay!" for me in the empty square.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, do I just love it when someone comes and asks me the same question over and over and over and again. Everything in the file is OGL, except the power units.

And if you want to start asking those copyright questions, then FREAKIN' READ UP ON THE GOD DAMN SUBJECT.

Unauthorized distribution includes: Re-using without permission with the intent to sell or call your own, modify (content is as-is), sell as-is, or make profits with. This unauthorized use of copyrighted material requires MY authorization because it's MY material, and Masashi Kishimoto because it's HIS trademark.

Now I'm going to give you the chance to come back and apologize. If you have to ask why, then maybe you shouldn't be asking these questions in the first place. Here's one of my famous inappropriate metaphores: Do I come into your house, sniff your ass in front of your friends and family, and ask you what paper you wipe it with? No, I don't. There are questions that are just rude to ask, regardless how politely worded they are. And this is one of them.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
Infinitus
Holiday Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankto wrote:
Here's one of my famous inappropriate metaphores: Do I come into your house, sniff your ass in front of your friends and family, and ask you what paper you wipe it with?

well a bit harsh, but worth memorizing. *done* *steals it as a quote*

edit: well for the main page of the generator, will show some random quotes... some time later Wink
Rookie Younin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, its better to open your mouth and reveal your stupidity than to keep it shut, screw up, and get into all sorts of legal trouble. Though he should have been able to figure out what he asked on his own.
Sacred justice moved my Architect.
I am raised here by divine Omnipotence
Primordial Love and ultimate Intellect.
Only those whose elements time cannot wear
Were made before Me, and beyond time I stand.
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should have. It took me all of 3 minutes to find my answers, and only a few hours to understand them.

DotonLizard
Banned or Something Like It

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you frankto for adding laughter to my otherwise dull life. Very Happy
Tetsunamaru
Jounin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea to be honest I'm gonna have to pass that quote on. Probably before the next game session starts.
Cried "Stay!" for me in the empty square.
DotonLizard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigged.
kp91
PM Frankto for a Special Title

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Everything in the file is OGL, except the power units.

Really? I thought that the speed and strength ranks were as well.
Arawn
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there is a clear indication that Power Units are not Open Game Content. According to section 8. Identification. "You must clearly indicate which portions of the work that you are distributing are Open Game Content" Doing a quick search for open game content produces 16 results in the OGL, and the 1 on the page with power units. I was unable to find any stating what was Open Game Content.

I am unable to tell why it is rude to inquire as to what a license covers. Perhaps it was to do so on the forum, but it does seem to be the most obvious place to contact you.

Additionally some of your statements, for example
Quote:
Altering the file without my consent is illegal. And I do not remember giving it.
on http://www.narutod20.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1497&start=40&sid=b5b72daf272369e2755582ae93f88b4c

Would seem to give the impression that a substantial amount of the material was not Open Game Content because according the license, with certain provisions, it is permissible to modify the file if one were for example to decide to distribute the Open Game Content.
DotonLizard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, why did Arawn JOIN!?

I mean his only two posts have been trying to piss off frankto.

Please Arawn, stop now!

We already had a delayed update, so im asking you

Stop For The Sake Of Humanity! Wink
Naruto d20 Store
IHALA
Rookie Younin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doton, calm down. Arwan does seem to know what he is talking about and his question does seem valid.

You don't need to appease Frankto, Doton. And I seriously doubt doing so will bring about the update any sooner.
Sacred justice moved my Architect.
I am raised here by divine Omnipotence
Primordial Love and ultimate Intellect.
Only those whose elements time cannot wear
Were made before Me, and beyond time I stand.
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!
Arawn
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined in order to gather more information regarding what was and what was not Open Game Content. Some members of my organization were interested in Naruto d20, and as such I wished to review the material in question. If we were to run a campaign using this variant then we would most likely create a document in a format customized for the needs of our members. I am familiar with other OGL material, and such material usually contains a notice prominently placed next to the OGL about what is Open Game Content and what is considered Product Identity.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, asking what the license covers, I don't care. But since you didn't seem to understand when I said it the first time, let me paint the clear picture: Your questions regarding copyright are not welcome and I have little desire to answer them, though I did, because I can.

Arawn
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it was imprecisely phrased, with Power Units being non OGC. Do you believe distribution of a file containing the Open Game Content from Naruto d20, (ie any content exclusive of Power Units), to be unauthorized distribution and as such Copyright Infringement of your Copyright even if that content is distributed according to and under the OGL?

This is not a question concerning copyright law as I can easily consult others regarding that matter. This is question concerning what you believe to be the case regarding Naruto d20. In at least one other thread you have indicated that you believe modifying the file to be illegal, and it is on that matter which I would appreciate clarification.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without my consent, yes. I give you free content that you take as-is. For the record, though the notice got lost somewhere when I was rewriting the first chapter, here is a list of non-OGC content: Introduction, chapter 8, chapter 14, and any and all artwork, including the cover art.

Note that all original content is mine, OGC or not, as noted in section 5, and you need my permission to "Use" it anyways. And before you even think of saying it, I'm not contributing "Naruto," I'm contributing material pertaining to it as a subject, just the same way a fanfiction author does.

Arawn
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. The Clarification is appreciated.

However, I believe the purpose of the OGL is that you have granted permission to 'Use' the Open Gaming Content provided that any 'Use' is also done under the OGL.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purpose of the OGL is so that you can publish material pertaining to the d20 system without owing royalties to Wizards. Consent is typically a given unless the owner of the original content disapproves of someone using the material.

Arawn
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGL is a copyleft license similar to the GPL in some respects.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/oglfaq/20040123f

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/oglfaq/20040123d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Naruto d20 Main File All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: