Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Immortality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Servilus
Genin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Immortality Reply with quote

i need some help with immortality, like ideas how someone could get it. If anyone posts here, i thank you very much, i was stupid to tell the players about immortality, and now they are questing to find the answers to it, and how to get it, any ideas on this will be most appreciated, thank you.
kp91
PM Frankto for a Special Title

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immortal isn't really made for players. How fun would it be if you couldn't die ever. Honestly, I'm surprised it ever made it into the Main File, but as of now, there is no way to get it. It's not a template, it's a subtype. If you suggestions, worship Jashin.
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questing for it is fine. They just have to eventually find out there is no way for them to achieve it.

You can give it to them, but then the campaign is de facto over, for all intents and purposes.
Ryuugan
Jounin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should be a little specific in your question. Do you just mean everlasting life (but can still be killed normally), such as becoming a native outsider (something I see as easily doable) or do you mean they can never be killed?

Well, if you do decide to allow your players to become immortal, then in this case, I see no reason as to why not. There are already people who have attained a sense of immortality (Hidan, Kakuzu, Sasori), but despite its benefits they possessed innate weaknesses. You should probably devise a type of weakness or something they need to actively watch out for, should they get immortality, else they will die, this may keep some balance within the game.

As for ideas to attain it, I'm not exactly sure as of now. Ill post any ideas I get, as its an interesting quest.
kp91

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe you should be a little specific in your question. Do you just mean everlasting life (but can still be killed normally), such as becoming a native outsider (something I see as easily doable) or do you mean they can never be killed?

He means the subtype I believe. As the the subtype goes, you do not die. Period. Being reduced to -10 doesn't kill you. Etc. It's made for enemies like Hidan, not PCs. It was mostly made so Hidan could be added to the main file, and it's the reason no template grants this subtype.
Ryuugan
Jounin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The native subtype and regeneration essentially do that. Since all damage is treated as subdual, you could be cut up into little pieces and still regenerate your body.

Making it like that, perhaps regeneration 0 (they dont heal wounds incrediably fast, but damage is still treated as subdual, and will naturally recover over the period of days) would probably do it as well. But you'd have to give a weakness (or two), to offset that.
sway
Chuunin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, its not that important... if you want to make an epic quest of it... that seems fine. Immortality really isn't that big a deal because:

a.) Games were the threat of character death are overplayed tend to suck. Character death shouldn't be willy-nilly to begin with. Most GMs who play up their "realistic" style are actually just poor GMs who want to kill PCs as their little way of "winning" or alternately they want to have an easy out for when they realize they've started a game that's beyond their capacity to moderate. Either way, these type of GMs often validate themselves by saying their players died because they played stupid or something similiar (and not suprisingly their group of players tends to change... alot). Apparently people don't like being called stupid. In any event character death is best kept as dramatic point in any campaign.

b.) Taking in the first point into account, the removal of the possibility of actual death from a campaign by no means removes the potential for "pragmatic death" or "dramatic character removal" which serves the same purpose. Yeah, their character is textbook immortal... but that doesn't stop them from being put out of play by dramatic plot elements... like say they have to stop some other immortal ninja... and the only way immediately available is to engage them in a grapple as they both plunge into a semi-dormant volcano or something. Sure, technically they will both "live"... but then again they are both eternally (or at least until the volcano becomes active and spews them out - potential scenario event for a future campaign) trapped at the bottom of a mile deep lava pit that's constantly burning them. That's a somewhat generic scenario but their are tons of possibilities. Who cares if you live forever is you're stuck spending eternity being eternally digested by a giant toad, or sealed up under an earthquake crevass... or... well... you get the point.

c.) If the quest is long enough, the players might never complete it anyway... especially if you side-track them with the other missions you originally had planned. It's entirely possible that by the time your players get near to completing their epic immortality quest... the campaign will pretty much be ending otherwise. This happened (happens) in old D&D games all the time... one or more of the PCs would have some personal ambition to become an immortal wizard, or a lich, or even a new deity... and sometimes they'd make it... but it'd take them the whole friggin' campaign to do so.
Genin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on a couple Naruto-to-D&D classes. So far I've done a modified sand shaper prestige class for Gaara, and I'm working on making a Jashin Disciple class (using Hidan as a reference). When thinking about how to incorporate immortality, I planned on making it a level 15 class ability. It would be temporary and activated only once the player had performed a specific ritual beforehand. The ritual consists of:
-Prayer to "Lord Jashin" either before the fight starts or during.
-Drawing the ritual diagram on the square the character occupies (triangle inside a circle).
-The player made a successful attack against an opponent that has blood, then ingests at least a small amount (licking the weapon works).

Once all of those are in place (which would take a couple rounds, maybe more if the player kept missing) the character makes a body link with that target. The player takes no damage from any source as long as his target is alive and he stays within his square (the ritual ends and he loses immortality if he leaves that square or is forced out). When explaining it to others, it's almost like his body is switched with a voodoo doll-like body (maybe his real body is trasferred to another plane for the duration of the ritual?). The only reason I didn't make this a level 20 class ability was because I wanted people to be able to use this ability more often, since characters is some campaigns never reach level 20. Change it as you see fit.
Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sway wrote: Most GMs who play up their "realistic" style are actually just poor GMs who want to kill PCs as their little way of "winning" or alternately they want to have an easy out for when they realize they've started a game that's beyond their capacity to moderate. Either way, these type of GMs often validate themselves by saying their players died because they played stupid or something similiar (and not suprisingly their group of players tends to change... alot). Apparently people don't like being called stupid. In any event character death is best kept as dramatic point in any campaign.

I think it's GMs who hold players hands/kiss their ass who are poor GMs. Just because someone likes a realistic game doesn't make it a bad game. Believe it or not it's about a 50% ratio of easy/realistic games, shocking I know. I have had maybe 10-11 characters through the years and all of them still play and even talk about their past characters up to their point of death.

Realistic games make your players feel like they really can die and by no means meant for poor GMS, neither is the goal aimed to kill the characters but to challenge them in any/every way possible, but nothing impossible. I'm sorry if a GM has ruied your gaming experience.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Sengoku System
Me: the hizoku attacks you with his yari, your actions?

Max: I evade with a 13 and counter attack with a 1,000... *pause for silence*
Felix_Zyphros
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shun... Wording. Might want to watch it... Shocked
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

? Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it just angers me for people to jump to assumptions because of one or two personal experiences. But before it goes anymore off topic, Immortality isn't much fun to do unless you plan to have a long time villian or it's the ageless type imho.

Sengoku System

Keldon_Draconian
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it just angers me for people to jump to assumptions because of one or two personal experiences. But before it goes anymore off topic, Immortality isn't much fun to do unless you plan to have a long time villian or it's the ageless type imho.

Depends. Of many factors.

Sasori can be considered an immortal, in some sense. And still, there is a way to kill him. He can still be reduced to 0 hit points and have his heart destroyed.

Hidan can be killed. Remove his limbs and he will stand there, defeated. Put him into an eternal Genjutsu or reduce his wisdom to 0 by using Mangekyou and he stills falls into a coma (I don't remember if Immortal makes you immune to Ability Damage, but still, Genjutsu should probably affect him). And guess what, he's still vulnerable to the spell disintegrate, if such spell exhisted on ND20.

Lichs are immortal. They live forever and they return after being killed. But you can kill a Lich and destroy his phylactery.

Except for ubber deities, there is no such thing as a character impossible to defeat/get rid off/destroy on DnD/D20 system.

Immortals are only harder to kill than most characters. They are not impossible to defeat or destroy.

Also, if you are playing DnD, i don't see why bother so much about an immortal character when you see adventurers being raised every single day. Sure, that's not very fun, and immortality should be carefully planed and balanced to work in a campaign. But...

Quote:
it just angers me for people to jump to assumptions

That's exactly what you did, unfortunatelly:

Quote:
I think it's GMs who hold players hands/kiss their ass who are poor GMs.

There is no right, no wrong way of playing. There are different ways of playing. And is up to the GM and the players find the way that works for them. Almost anything, any concept, can fit and work in a campaign, if it pleases the players and the GM.
Felix_Zyphros
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shun wrote:

I meant in the wording. You mixed up player and character to the point that you said you were going to kill the player that the character was using.

Btw, immortal dnd character- lvl20 Elan Psion (shaper prefered). Have astral rebirth or whatever it's called and Genesis. Make sure to use both as much as possible. Feats needed for this little stunt are Enhanced Elan Resiliance and Enhanced Elan Repletion. With Repletion, you never have to eat or drink, ever. With Resiliance, you can reduce damage by paying power points on a 4:1 basis. This is from any damage source. So that epic wizard who just blew half his XP to deal enough damage to blow up the material plane? Yeah, you just reduced that to around 20 damage. Twisted Evil

Of course, you should never attempt this with a GM who is wary about psionics.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

? Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

sway
Chuunin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shun wrote:
Quote:
Sway wrote: Most GMs who play up their "realistic" style are actually just poor GMs who want to kill PCs as their little way of "winning" or alternately they want to have an easy out for when they realize they've started a game that's beyond their capacity to moderate. Either way, these type of GMs often validate themselves by saying their players died because they played stupid or something similiar (and not suprisingly their group of players tends to change... alot). Apparently people don't like being called stupid. In any event character death is best kept as dramatic point in any campaign.

I think it's GMs who hold players hands/kiss their ass who are poor GMs. Just because someone likes a realistic game doesn't make it a bad game. Believe it or not it's about a 50% ratio of easy/realistic games, shocking I know. I have had maybe 10-11 characters through the years and all of them still play and even talk about their past characters up to their point of death.

Realistic games make your players feel like they really can die and by no means meant for poor GMS, neither is the goal aimed to kill the characters but to challenge them in any/every way possible, but nothing impossible. I'm sorry if a GM has ruied your gaming experience.

I said most GMs, not all GMs.

And I've played in well... dear god... at this point I can't even count how many campaigns - table-top, play-by-post, play-by-e-mail, server based... even one campaign via computer video cameras. Star Wars (d20 and d6), AD&D, D&D (2e, 3e, 3.5e), AFMBE, BESM, GURPS, Shadowrun, MSH, DCSH, M&M (1, 2 ed.), Buffy, Angel, Firefly, d20 Modern, d20 Future, Call of Cthulu, etc... etc... honestly... since like age 12... just has to be in the hundreds by now. Some lasting years other barely getting past a session or two, some with folks I know personally... others with folks spread across the globe whose real names I'll probably never know. I generalize nothing based on 1 or 2 gaming experiences.

Almost universally (not 100%), the "realistic" label has been a crutch for poor GMing (most often GMs who mistake GMing role for an overly competitive role with the players... its about having fun and telling a story... not doing your darnedest to munchkin out PC kills). That being said, yes... I've been in a quite a few games that could be defined as grim and gritty... and realistic in their mortality rate and physics... that have went just swimmingly. One All Flesh Must Be Eaten campaign was just a blast... lost three characters over the course of the game mind you, but it was handled well. I remember an epic level D&D game that was the same way, my character didn't die in that one (one of only two PCs that remained alive the whole campaign, beginning to end)... but it was seriously hardcore in many other respects. I would even go so far as to say apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic campaigns (which thrive on gritty realism - or conversely satire) are on the top of my list of favorites.

However, the majority of the time though... the above types of successes rarely tend to be the case. Then again, the majority of games aren't run by good GMs... simply because being a good GM isn't something everyone is going to have a talent for. Moreover, a lot of novice and first time GMs seem to be drawn to the idea of making their games "uber-realistic" as a means of defining their experience... in fact it seems to go one of two ways with them... the traditional slow-roll using rping cliches and slightly modified stock plots... or on the other extreme ultra-grim and gritty... "my game is so... hardcore/realistic/brutal" style. Thus I can admit that perhaps its not so much the style of play itself, but the majority type of GM that tends to folk to it (often novice or otherwise poor GMs). This doesn't mean the style is meritless or impossible to play, I mean... a good GM can make even a cliched game awesome.

I would adamantly stand-by the position that any new GM should at least for the first few campaigns they run... steer clear of this style though, and at the very least honestly ask themselves what about it is appealing to them... if your find that your reasons tend to be centered around overtly antagonist reasons... you should probably stop before you make your first (or one of your first game experiences) a major flop. This isn't just for "realism" either... but for certain more mature and advanced types of games.... for example... I would strongly advise against a new GM making their first-ever D&D campaign Ravenloft... somewhat invariably... you're most likely either have the game go up in flames... or end up a complete farce.

It is of course simply my opinion and stated in response to someone seeking advice. Your mileage may vary, but there is no reason to be hostile or rude about it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most GMs who play up their "realistic" style are actually just poor GMs who want to kill PCs as their little way of "winning" or alternately they want to have an easy out for when they realize they've started a game that's beyond their capacity to moderate. Either way, these type of GMs often validate themselves by saying their players died because they played stupid or something similiar (and not suprisingly their group of players tends to change... alot). Apparently people don't like being called stupid. In any event character death is best kept as dramatic point in any campaign.

Unfortunately, too true. I've met GMs who decided that the Naruto character were just the strongest in the show (which really wasn't true, most were pretty weak at the time in comparison), and therefore, the Chuunin Exam should remove/kill most players, and turn into a ban from the game period. Said GM also said not to Metagame, but the only way for anyone to pass the exam was to metagame (and so every player immediately failed and if there had been even one left over, he wouldn't have given us a second chance).
Keldon_Draconian
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unfortunately, too true. I've met GMs...

Not too true, KP. Your own experience (Or even my own experience with games) would never mean that most/if not all GMs that like that style are that bad. It only means that you had the bad luck to play with such GM, not that all/most GMs that like that style are bad.

Generalizing anything is a very fast way to make a mistake.
Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touch'e

Maybe I came out a bit harsh, but it seems well all generalize in some way.

Sengoku System

sway
Chuunin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keldon_Draconian wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, too true. I've met GMs...

Not too true, KP. Your own experience (Or even my own experience with games) would never mean that most/if not all GMs that like that style are that bad. It only means that you had the bad luck to play with such GM, not that all/most GMs that like that style are bad.

Generalizing anything is a very fast way to make a mistake.

That's not entirely accurate, everything ultimately has to be generalized to some extent or nothing will make sense. It the very foundation of rules, law, and some extent even science. If things didn't have to be generalized, we wouldn't have any rpg books period. All data has to come from a sample rather then a population. If the sample is relatively large enough and spread across a diverse enough field, it should and typically IS considered to possess generalizability for the population. Moreover, after a certain threshold, you start to get signifigance that goes well beyond random chance (or bad luck as you say). Basically, if you flip a hypothetically perfectly balanced and aerodynamic coin and it turned up tails 90% - its fairly erroneous to say that it is "bad luck"... its statistically signifigant and highly indicative that there is a general correlation. As I have never experienced a novice GM successful run the type of game we're discussing, despite having experienced the attempt countless times... I can state the failure rate with that variable has proven to be statistically signifigant and possibly indicative of a correlation existing there. Hence from my position, I adamantly stand by that statement (as I noted before) as it appears to have a relationship very much stronger then what could be explained by random chance (or as you say "bad luck").

Now if your simply asserting that mine, yours, or kp1's experiences gaming aren't diverse enough in terms of a sample to gain such generalizability, well... that's fine I suppose. Though honestly, since samples of only like 10,000 people are typically considered large samples for national data collections. Around 100 for a much smaller population like that of role-playing gamers doesn't seem all that unreasonable.

Of course, other variables could be skewing or biasing my own experiences/results. Perhaps I'm biased in some way that is affected the results (I never play female characters for example) or perhaps my own participation is affecting the results (my standards for what accounts for "good GMing" might be too high). All entirely possible, I don't deny. Still, to give advice and state opinions of any sort... one must generalize the data at hand and merely try to do so as fairly as possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: