Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Worst Feat Ever.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cupidzs
Special Jounin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Worst Feat Ever. Reply with quote

With my fist character, we hastily read through the books to make our characters. (eager to play)
and i had miss read this feat, but my Gm doesn't allow me to change it. Now I'm the butt end of most jokes. When we do training, and i gotta wait a lvl to get a move i need badly, I get the Should have took Genius Nin jokes. then when i try to plan my feats, and i gotta make sacrifices to make my bloodline better rather than take a pre-rec feat for my advanced class (making me have to wait more lvls then i should have), I get the If only you had taken it instead jokes.

The feat I'm talking about is this:

Advanced Study
Prerequisite: Can only be taken at 1st level.
Benefit: You gain a the ability to learn a technique of 2 ranks higher than you normally
could, with a +2 competence bonus to Learn checks. You cannot attain mastery in this
technique until you attain sufficient level to learn it normally.
This bonus does not stack with feats and abilities that allow learning higher-ranked
techniques, such as Genius Nin.

I took this feat thinking that i could learn techniques 2 lvls higher, and it was over all better than Genius Nin, because i didn't care about being younger in age, or one hand sealing later. (Tai primary, Nin Secondary, and i don't carry any weapon other than Kunai)
Well after my GM read over the text behind me he brought to my attention that I had read it wrong and that i couldn't change it now that we had started.

The problem with this feat is that it is completely USELESS after lvl 3. I get no benefit out of it. at lower lvls it was good to have as a trump card, but now that I'm higher than that, it's just wasting a feat slot. with every other feat, you atleast get some use out of it at any given time, even if it's small like a +2 to a skill that you don't use too often. But Advanced Study? after lvl 3 when you master your tech, it's useless. it an only be taken at lvl one too so the tech you pick up is rank 3 at the most. I could just take Genius Nin and just wait till lvl 2 to do that, and i have access to all the other techs of it's type at that rank. and i don't have to wait to master them.
so when we get to lvl 2, not only did the guys with genius nin learn the same tech i learned at lvl 1, they can master it this lvl, while i gotta wait till we lvl again to start. and by that time they are on the next set of techs.

Is there a typo to this Feat that makes it worse then it was meant to be?
Can this be fixed, atleast in the next update? (which i know won't be for some time now)
PM Frankto for a Special Title

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always ruled that you can wait to get the technique (though, it makes you have a useless feat for a couple levels), but ya, that 1st level only penalty is ridiculous.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your point? The feat serves exactly the purpose it was designed for. No, it won't be changed.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
Malificus
Chuunin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant see anything to bad with that...

Its first level only.

Look at the uchiha clan ( without sharingan, little uchiha's ) they have to master the fireball.
kp91

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malificus wrote:
Cant see anything to bad with that...

Its first level only.

Look at the uchiha clan ( without sharingan, little uchiha's ) they have to master the fireball.

Look at it this way.
Take two 1st level characters:
A takes Advanced Study to gain a level 3 technique
B doesn't.
When they get to 3 (2-5 game sessions later), B learns fireball. Now him and A are statistically the same, except he has 1 more feat than A.
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to note that when a GM rules you can't change something that he didn't realize the purpose of that feat, or to say you can't change it solely because you chose it before is horrible DMing. Everyone modifies their build plans at some point - only the stupid DMs reward those who go overboard and plan out the entire 20 level progression from the start. Then again, I would simply strongly suggest to someone thinking about that feat to not take it.
Hideko
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a different aproach for this feat.

As a GM i rule that this feat will make the character able to always learn techniques, as if he was 2 levels higher. However, he still cant master them, untill his lvl actually reaches 2 higher. (meaning he will only have learned it at his current level). I use this a feat, for character who have a special flair within a certain aspect. But still, my players dont "just" learn new techniques.. they need to find a trainer who can actually teach the technique to them, OR research it themselfs. basically this means that trying to find the person or scroll containing the technique, takes so long long, that they usually reach a level higher.
But then again, level is never an issue in my game. you dont need high techniques to be good. You just need to know how to combine the techniques you have, and make the best of it.

I had a battle with my players, 4 chuunins against 1 Special jounin. he used only low ranked techniques, just to prove my point that high level techniques dont give you the victory. But tactics and strategy does.
Ofc. this means that the combat scenes cant be "dungeon crawling" combat.
(the joining btw, won. lvl 16, vs. 4 lvl 8 chuunin(one with advanced study and one with geneius).

ps. Sorry for the spelling errors, i am wordblind Razz
Athildur
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not find it difficult to believe that a level 16 won against a party of lvl 8s. Because that's how it's supposed to be, regardless.

The extra HD, defense, skill points and saves (not to mention BaB) make him hard to hit, hard to spot (if he uses stealth), hard to hide from (if you hide), and hard to properly affect with jutsu (because of higher saves).

You can't really damage something if you can't hit it properly...
Hideko
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this was exactly my point. he was fast hero/scout and some nin counter. So his BaB couldnt deal with their taijutsu character, who had an extreme attack bonus. His weapon though was Hide, as he was super specced in hide and spot (to detect enemies obviously). he defeated them using Kunai, no special abilities (oh btw, i dont know if it is an official rule, but i use a rule, when you attack from a hidden position, you remain hidden, although everyone gets a free spot check (+5 bonus) to detect the attacker).

And no, 4 lvl 8, specced right, would have a good chance of killing a lvl 16, if we removed the techniques (ofc the higher level techniques CAN make a difference).
RagnarBlackmane
Special Jounin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hideko wrote:
And this was exactly my point. he was fast hero/scout and some nin counter. So his BaB couldnt deal with their taijutsu character, who had an extreme attack bonus. His weapon though was Hide, as he was super specced in hide and spot (to detect enemies obviously). he defeated them using Kunai, no special abilities (oh btw, i dont know if it is an official rule, but i use a rule, when you attack from a hidden position, you remain hidden, although everyone gets a free spot check (+5 bonus) to detect the attacker).

You make a hide check at -20 to stay hidden while running, charging, and attacking. So, I don't know how well that would have really worked if the right rules were used XD
I laughed at - Zen threads disturbed by him
All the forums - Ranting about him
By: DotonLizard
Hideko
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh allright.. i see.. well, the jounin still have +29 (or something like that), for sneak, and none of the players took spot ("Spot is not a combat skill, or the req for any of our prestige classes"), so it was an annoying opponent Razz But yeah, i think it would have done alot of difference when it come down to it.

But doesnt being scout change it, or is only when moving?
RagnarBlackmane
Special Jounin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in the d20 modern rulebook, the first paragraph. It says.....

Quote:
It's practically impossible (-20 penalty) to hide while attacking, running, or charging.

So no, it wouldn't change anything. If you do any of those three, you take a -20 penalty. But you also have to make a hide check before you do any of that, which is an attack action. Just clearing up those rules too.
I laughed at - Zen threads disturbed by him
All the forums - Ranting about him
By: DotonLizard
Hideko
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh no i am aware.
But fair enough Smile means i gotta use a bit more techniques it seems, to gain the same amount of sneak Razz (chamelion and such).
karsagon
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feat as it is written, does not say that the feat is not still in effect at later levels. It only says it can be taken at first level. So, from my understanding, at every level your character is he is still able to learn techniques of 2 levels higher than normal. When a character takes power attack, he can use it after every level he takes it. Not just the level he took it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
IntOblivion
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only applies to ONE technique. So, it's only useable until that technique is learned. However, I believe it can be, for example, a lvl 5 technique, meaning you can learn it at lvl 3. I might be wrong though.
Cupidzs
Special Jounin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, seeing as Frankto graced us with his official ruling on this (and it wasn't favorable), there is no way I can get my GM to change it. We kinda take his opinion as game rules, seeing as he wrote the rules to begin with.

I notice that most of you seem to House Rule on this one. I guess I'll do that on the game I Gm. other wise it would just be a useless feat. (unless you run a game that ends at lvl 3)
Thanks for the input guys.
And Thanks for the ruling Frankto.
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purpose of the feat is to grant a 1st level character a technique of up to rank 3, separate from the techniques he starts with. Nothing else.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
sway
Chuunin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an equivalent feat in D&D 3.5, Precocious Apprentice... I think. Grants a second level spell at level 1.

Not all feats are meant to "rock your world". I mean tons of feats suck for tons of reasons.
Cupidzs
Special Jounin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand. I'm not upset or anything, I wrote the original post with the knowledge that I might get shot down. I was just wondering if it was a typo or something. And I must admit that it was nice to be able to use Jyuuken at lvl 1. Don't get me wrong i still don't like the feat, but your right about D&D having alot of feats that are pointless after awhile, so everything is everything. Thanks again guys.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sway wrote:
There is an equivalent feat in D&D 3.5, Precocious Apprentice... I think. Grants a second level spell at level 1.

Not all feats are meant to "rock your world". I mean tons of feats suck for tons of reasons.

Except in DnD, you are limited to the amounts of spells you have. Meaning that feat is ALWAYS useful. In Nd20, like in the example I showed above, you basically have lost a feat as soon as you hit 3rd level.
VonFRO
Genin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for clarification, Genius Nin works differently than this, correct? It sounds, from the description, that it treats the character as one level higher to determine the techniques he is able to gain. Is that how it works or is it like Advanced Study?
zen
Rookie Younin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's how it works.
Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Sengoku System
Me: the hizoku attacks you with his yari, your actions?

Max: I evade with a 13 and counter attack with a 1,000... *pause for silence*
VonFRO
Genin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the clarification!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: