Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Conceptual?True Strength/Speed vs. Strength/Speed Rank
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Strength and Speed: Which is best?
Activating them with chakra, ie. fake strength
18%
 18%  [ 8 ]
Having to hold back during an encounter, ie. real strength
81%
 81%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 43

Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an example of how it'll work.

Cursed Seal Level 2 (Sp): When manifested, this ability grants the creature a +2 bonus to Defense, Reflex saves, attack and weapon damage rolls, a +4 bonus to opposed disarm, trip, grapple, bullrush or overrun checks and Climb, Jump and Swim checks. His chakra pool increases by 24 increase and his carrying capacity doubles. Every consequent use within a 24 hours period reduce the amount of chakra gained by any level by 8, minimum 0.

Hiraishin (Su): The character gains the Speed rank extraordinary quality, starting with Speed rank 1 (progression as per table). If the character learns a speed rank training technique, it does not stack with the Hiraishin ability, use whichever is higher.

In addition, the character can activate his Speed rank ability (fully or non) up to a number of rounds per day equal to his Hiraishin ability plus his Dexterity modifier, without paying any Chakra. This stacks with Speed rank training techniques mastery.

Below is one of the very few abilities that still give speed ranks:

Naijin Ouka no Jutsu (Inner Self Absorption Technique)
Ninjutsu [Lost Kinjutsu]
Rank: 10 (S-Class); Learn DC: 26, 7 success; Perform DC: 30; Time: 1 attack action; Components: C, S; Range: Personal; Target: You; Duration: 1 round/level; Saving Throws: None; Chakra Cost: 6.

This lost technique is incredibly dangerous for both the user and his opponent. True to the name "kinjutsu," this double edged sword makes the user both extremely strong and extremely vulnerable at once, both a danger to others and himself. For the duration of the technique, the user shuts himself in his mind, letting his subconscious self take over and do the fighting. This enables the user to fight until death (he reaches -10 hit points) without penalty and temporarily grants him the Strength rank 2 and Speed rank 2 extraordinary abilities, as well as a +8 bonus to will saves against mind-affecting and fear effects.

(Rest of the technique is unchanged)

Strength Ranks and Speed Ranks
When a character performs certain types of speed and strength training, his body develops enhanced muscles. This translates in mechanic as Strength ranks and Speed ranks.

If the character temporarily gains a Speed rank or Strength rank extraordinary quality, it cannot be suppressed or made dormant and is always active. If the character already has a Speed rank or Strength rank ability, they do not stack, use whichever is highest. If the character temporarily gains a Speed rank or Strength rank extraordinary quality while his is suppressed or dormant, use that instead.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
Ketsukage
Genin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this idea, but I have a couple of questions. First, would anyone who has multiple ranks automatically be able to suppress them to whichever degree he wanted to use them, or would that be a function of, for example, a free action Taijutsu check? Also, will you be keeping the epic feats that grant ranks? I think one way to handle it would be to make a feat which stacks with itself and allows you to treat your rank as one lower for purposes of determining chakra cost.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The epic feats are staying.

And when you gain a higher speed rank, you lose any lower speed rank.

So if you learn Nidan Kousoku after Shodan Kousoku, your speed rank extraordinaty ability changes to Speed rank 2. Suppressing it to rank 1 or rank 0 requires no check.

Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for voting in the poll.

The notion passes, 21 to 3.

Felix_Zyphros
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q: Would this mean an overhaul of the Hiraishin bloodline?
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

? Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. It just means it works slightly differently. You'll find out.

Ketsukage
Genin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. Clear on the way ranks and suppression works, but I still wonder about the feats. Are they still going to make the ranks cost nothing to use? Will the feats stack with the techniques, overlap them, or simply extend the possibilities beyond what is possible through techniques?
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The epic feats replace the need for the techniques.

Revan619
ANBU Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I believe the old method of doing a jutsu was better, DBZ is real strength, naruto is using chakra manipulation through the body to enhance it to use a jutsu, even though its changed in the book, the jutsu system was still better
"Ahhh we been rumbled!!!! quick Messa flush the weed!!!" - The Kai of Konoha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: