Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Strength Ranks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dionon
Chuunin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Strength Ranks Reply with quote

I was looking over the "Strength Ranks" And noticed it was a little clunky and didn't really flow...

A suggestion. I like the idea that they automatically turn on in combat, and have to be suppressed consciously so that hasn't changed...

Strength Ranks: Each Strength rank gives you a a +2 to all Strength Related Rolls other than Melee Attack or Damage. (IE: Strength Rank 5 would give a +10 to Jump, Bull Rush, Grapple, etc checks) Each 2 Ranks gives you a virtual size category regarding carry capacity. (IE Strength Rank 6 would give you +3 virtual size categories, or a x8 multiplier to your carry capacity. Rank 10 would give you +5 or x32 Multiplier) Every 3 Ranks (Starting at +1 at Rank 1, +2 at rank 4, +3 at rank 7, etc.) gives you a bonus to Attack and Damage Rolls.

Cost: 1 chakra per round per 3 ranks (minimum 1)

That way, you have it all in one place, without having to detail out a whole section of stuff, and it has a regular progression, so if a GM wanted to do some sort of Uber Epic campaign, and wanted to expand out the Strength Ranks to Epic Strength Ranks 11-20, there's a progression that can be followed without a great deal of thought.

Naruto d20 Store
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There already is a progression to be followed. It's very, very easy to see as well.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
kp91
PM Frankto for a Special Title

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I'm gonna agree with OP. It's pretty clunky and hard to understand. And one thing that bothers me is that you have to hold back since Strength ranks are now natural strength of your body, yet, you use up chakra using them. Shouldn't it require chakra to hold it back if it's natural? But other things just don't read well from the entire section on them, and it's been that way since they were changed from increasing Speed Ranks to the current holding back Speed Ranks.
Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's why "we" stick with them as techniques aside from permanents, as far as cost and activation goes anyways.
not for easy purposes but because we just like it that way.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Sengoku System
Me: the hizoku attacks you with his yari, your actions?

Max: I evade with a 13 and counter attack with a 1,000... *pause for silence*

Last edited by Shun on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Athildur
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinobi learn to use the chakra in their bodies to enhance the strength of their muscles.

The point of it being training is that it becomes as easy to use as flicking a switch. Which is why they are automatically on in combat (after all, you're better off using it in dangerous situations). But can be turned off easily to conserve chakra.

I'm not sure how the current system here is not sensible or easy to use...
Dionon
Chuunin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, the reason I did this was that I found the one in the book to be a little weak in the Carry Capacity department. Looking to the show for guidance, I see Sakura punching away, with ease, 10 ton blocks of Iron Sand. That's more than Tsunade could do as I understand her character block, and that's saying something.

ultima22689
Kage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dionon wrote:
Honestly, the reason I did this was that I found the one in the book to be a little weak in the Carry Capacity department. Looking to the show for guidance, I see Sakura punching away, with ease, 10 ton blocks of Iron Sand. That's more than Tsunade could do as I understand her character block, and that's saying something.

This is a good point and it should be addressed however there are some techniques in the book that Tsunade hijutsus that makes her attacks alot stronger.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsunade can increase her Strength score to nearing 50. That alone, combined with Strength Rank 5 puts her heavy load at 75800 pounds, which is a carrying capacity nearnig an industrial crane.

ultima22689
Kage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankto wrote:
Tsunade can increase her Strength score to nearing 50. That alone, combined with Strength Rank 5 puts her heavy load at 75800 pounds, which is a carrying capacity nearnig an industrial crane.

Yeah, I was referring to that, there are some techniques in the book that do specifically that.
Dionon
Chuunin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankto wrote:

50?! The best I got from her techs was a 36... What did I miss?

ultima22689
Kage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dionon wrote:
Frankto wrote:

I'm not sure, that would require me to do some research and rounding up of techniques but i'm far too lazy to do such a thing. A 36 should still supplement that issue though, a THIRTY SIX is pretty powerful, she breaks faces all day like that.
NECRO_POE
Genin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the progression that dionon suggests, it is alot easier and seems a little closer to the show.
Dionon
Chuunin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultima22689 wrote:
Dionon wrote:
Frankto wrote:

I'm not sure, that would require me to do some research and rounding up of techniques but i'm far too lazy to do such a thing. A 36 should still supplement that issue though, a THIRTY SIX is pretty powerful, she breaks faces all day like that.

If one of my players is right... She can push herself to Strength Rank 6, with that in mind... 36 allows her to lift... 1 ton. While that is alot, it's not consistent with the show... Now... if she CAN push herself to 50, my point is rather moot lol... I do like my progression, but 50 strength + 6 ranks of Strength = Perfectly within the show's purview.

Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to be consistent with the show, play another game. You're not going to find it here. I'm doing what I can within the boundaries of the system.

Dionon
Chuunin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankto wrote:
If you want to be consistent with the show, play another game. You're not going to find it here. I'm doing what I can within the boundaries of the system.

*raises eyebrow* Uh... that's why I suggested a different progression... If you don't like it, don't use it... It's no skin off my nose man.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: