Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Having a hard time DMing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
demoralizer
ANBU Leader

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Having a hard time DMing. Reply with quote

I haven't actually begun DMing in NarutoD20, and I DMed for about 8 years for D&D, mostly 3.5. My question is... being new to it all I'm having a hard time learning all of these techniques. Given that my created enemies use technique's and my players use technique's etc etc... Does it just take time to memorize what they all do, what the perform DC's are... and all that? I'm looking for some tips here on making my game run a bit smoother since I don't want to be looking through a book everytime someone wants to use a technique. Any tips?
jmantyk
Mr. Happy
Mr. Happy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have internet access, I'd recomend my tech list (link in sig below). Also, make your players know their techniques, that shouldn't be all on the DM. Most of the knowledge just comes after playing a while.

FMA style alchemy, a WiP
Linked technique list
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zolniena
Derp
Derp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forget who or where, but someone said to make notecards. each with a single jutsu on it. and then connect them with a ring. thats what ive done, and it helps immensely! the technique sheet for characters just doesnt have enough space to get all the stats, and writing ur jutsu down on sheets of paper is nice, but just takes up too much table space. notecards all the way!

like jmatyk said, its ur players duty to know THEIR jutsu, and its your duty to at least write down what page the jutsu is on that ur enemies use. that should make playing go smoothly. just remember not to drag the game to a stop b/c of a simple rule that could be solved with a temporary house rule. but, seeing as though ur an experienced DM, i probably didnt need to say that Rolling Eyes
demoralizer
ANBU Leader

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a pretty good solution. Simple enough, though it doesnt correct my players problems. I will have them do the notecard thing, that sounds awesome. As far as my enemies techs go, the Find feature for Adobe works well enough. Problem with that is once I deploy to Afghanistan (All my players are parachute infantry in the 82nd, as am I). I may not have a powersource for the battery. I have the books printed, so I may just have to make notecards for myself for enemies. Anyhow, thanks so far. Any other suggestions?
Infinitus
Holiday Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well. in lower-levels you must not keep that much notes what techniques your players have, as there are things that they can do, and there are things that they can't.

a light load of japanese should be advised to know, so you do actually know what techniques do, except for those with the fishy names, like shinken, but those are most commonly taijutsu techniques,
so it should be not a problem, as there is no taijutsu technique that can persuade a daimyo to give his daughter to you Razz
Chuunin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmantyk wrote:
Assuming you have internet access, I'd recomend my tech list (link in sig below). Also, make your players know their techniques, that shouldn't be all on the DM. Most of the knowledge just comes after playing a while.

Yeah, this guy's tech list has been INFINITELY useful for myself and my group that play this... 10 stars for this

Athildur
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't GM much in NarutoD20, in the technology department I like to make character sheets in Excel. This is also easily done for enemies.
Excel can easily contain a lot of information on techniques (my sheet contains the name, save and DC, perform DC, perform time, range, target/area, duration, chakra cost, and the DC to convert part of the cost or the entire cost to stamina. Additionally, the name cell contains a note that has a summary of the technique's effects)

When you don't have technology, write stuff down. Note cards could be useful, or noting pages for techs and then marking those pages with a post'it note or something.
Alternately, making a technique sheet on paper works just as well. Just include the important information (basically what my sheet also contains. A lot of terms you can abbreviate, like "Save: R(H)." (reflex halves), "Time: FA" (full-attack) and "Range: L" (long)).

In the end, you will get to know a lot of jutsu because you play the game. Fortunately, when you get to higher levels, a lot of jutsu that you've learned earlier on will still be extremely useful, and that will help you a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: