Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

[SENJUTSU] Techniques
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: [SENJUTSU] Techniques Reply with quote

Currently taking ideas for Senjutsu techniques.

There are three types (and their key abilities): Combat (Str or Dex), Energy (Int), Enhancement (Wis), and Illusion (Cha).

This is what I have for now:

Combat:
  • None

Enhancement:
  • Sennin Mode (Sage Mode)
  • Senjutsu Kanzurou (Sage Chakra Tracking)

Enhancement:
  • Senjutsu Kai (Sage's Unraveling)

Illusion:
  • None

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!

Last edited by Frankto on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keldon_Draconian
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The techniques used by the Ma and Pa toad should be Senjutsu techniques, such as the high-pressure water blast the father toad shots at Pain's chamaleon (Combat), the superstrength the frog uses to lift that rock (Enhancement)(Jiraiya also did that on the anime, using Senjutsu to gather energy, lift a rock and impress Tsunade and Orochimaru). Another combat technique could be the super-sage-rasengan used by Naruto and Jiraiya. And finally, Ma and Pa song (Illusion), which would be an ubber form of Genjutsu using Senjutsu.

Also, there should be an enhancement Senjutsu Technique to improve the Sense Chakra ability. You trade X Sage Chakra for Y % enhancement to the sense radius. Naruto could sense everyone's chakra when he concentrated, for example.

Is each Senjutsu technique a separate skill?

By the way, you made a genius job with the mechanics for gathering senjutsu chakra. I think you should seriously think about including it on the main file. Long ago you said you would never include the gates, but did it as OPTIONAL material. if you leave it clear that senjutsu shouldn't be taken lightly, it wouldn't be a problem for the GMs, IMO.
ultima22689
Kage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, people know what stuff should be used and shouldn't, you would be lucky to find a game that allows you ghastly inheritance even though it is balanced. I think it would be cool if you made one chapter of optional stuff and just put it there if you think they may possibly upset the balance of the core game IMHO.
Infinitus
Holiday Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keldon_Draconian wrote:
By the way, you made a genius job with the mechanics for gathering senjutsu chakra. I think you should seriously think about including it on the main file. Long ago you said you would never include the gates, but did it as OPTIONAL material. if you leave it clear that senjutsu shouldn't be taken lightly, it wouldn't be a problem for the GMs, IMO.

This is probably the great first step of dividing the books Razz, don't tempt him. Wink

If you haven't included it into the sage mode, you might want to add an instant technique that reduces damage taken. (jiraya, naruto)

and a technique that empowers techniques you have... meaning the x1.5 empowering - a feat would be too bothersome. (jiraya, naruto)
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of those were already done before I even announced senjutsu.

Techniques that aren't Senjutsu but are paid in full with Senjutsu chakra are automatically empowered.

And Sennin Mode (also known as Frog Kata) already soaks damage and burns through senjutsu chakra.

Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess there's not all that much interest after all.

Keldon_Draconian
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Guess there's not all that much interest after all.

I guess these boards are a bit dead lately, comparing to how many posts we had back on "Doton Lizard's Age"... Perhaps the result of Naruto becoming less popular?

Those who come here probably have interest on Senjutsu, but there aren't as many people as before to show that. And some come but have nothing to add to the discussion, and then they remain silent.

In any case, there is something i forgot to tell you. Gathering nature chakra should require the sense chakra ability, since the first part of the process is all about "feeling" nature chakra, as the father toad once said. So, it should probably be a requeriment for the feat.
Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already posted my ideas, as stated there's not all that much that's been done with it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Sengoku System
Me: the hizoku attacks you with his yari, your actions?

Max: I evade with a 13 and counter attack with a 1,000... *pause for silence*
Keldon_Draconian
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, judging from what i've seem from the senjutsu system, i'd give it a 9/10. It perfectly reproduces what we've seen on the series. The only drawback is that this system is a bit complex to grasp at first glance.

And there is the sense chakra thing i pointed above.
Mizuno Kaitsu
Kage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone else, really. As far as what's been shown, you have pretty much covered the bases.

I would probably like to see some sort of fast healing technique associated with Sage Chakra and perhaps Combat Forms i.e. katas for the other pacts and maybe a general one for those that can Sage without a bloodpact as you were mentioning.

Maybe include some of the special options for entering Sage, such as one's bloodpact animal assisting in the balancing process (something a little more than an aid other check maybe?)

Also.. Naruto used an ability that, game mechanic wise, increased his reach. I.e. he took a swing at Devil Path (I think), which looked to miss but the chakra emitting from him managed to land the hit and still did amazing damage. You might've included it in Frog Kata, don't know - but it is something to keep in mind with the combat forms.

Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frog Kata has two names: Frog Kata and Sennin Mode. They are one and the same. Further, Naruto's reach was increased by approximately 3 inches. That has no effect on game mechanics.

I already thought about including a summoning technique to aid manipulating the energies, but I'm not sure how I'll go about it yet.

Ketsukage
Genin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of replies to this thread may simply be out of respect. I only post now to say that I am really for the idea, I just don't have any ideas that I feel are worth anything to add to the conversation.
Felix_Zyphros
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 reasons why I haven't posted-

1) We haven't seen that much of senjutsu in the naruto manga, and there isn't anything much to compare it with in other manga.

2) You have very strict limitations on what exactly you'll put in the main file, and tend to shoot down anything (with heavy caliber, high explosive rounds no less) that isn't 100% balanced and perfect.

I realise that working on a project like Naruto d20 is hard, but if you keep scaring people away no one is going to give any input.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

? Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

Ketsukage
Genin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really... Keldon and Infinitus have both weighed in with their thoughts. Aside from yourself, those two seem to be the go-to guys for game material. The only person I can think of who hasn't posted on here who I would really like to hear an opinion from is Athildur. I have the greatest respect for all you guys who can put these things together and make it work, but I know from experience that it's hard as hell to do well, and quite possibly beyond my abilities.

On an aside... I haven't heard from IntOblivion, either. I was always a fan of his work, but it looks like he may have been away from the forum longer than I myself have been.

edit: Fogot to mention Shun. Another person whose work I respect. And no disrespect to those not mentioned, these are just the people whose material has consistently impressed me, and whose flavor I like.
Athildur
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I placed my input a while ago, just not here Razz.

Unfortunately, I currently have no ideas on how to use Senjutsu chakra other than the ways described, but I will definitely look out for other means to use it with.

Also, the current senjutsu mechanic is pretty well-rounded and offers a good reflection of what we've seen in the manga/anime. It's pretty well balanced, and since it's something that most people won't end up using, I think that the slightly inherent difficulty isn't going to be any problem, since the players will likely be somewhat experienced.

Once I think of something new, I'll post it as soon as I can.
hastur
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dropping in for a moment to say that what you've shown from Sage-stuff in main update thread looked very good. No ideas for more technique sadly Sad
One in - turn an enemy's hate.
------------------------------------------------
Hairesu_Kode
ANBU Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to say everyone's going to be bum rushing the Toad Summoning pact now. Looks great I say. Though, the Sennin Mode seems a bit infinite if you focus enough and conjoin yourselves with Ma and Pa so is there a limit in the manga/anime?
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Senjutsu supplement isn't limited to one blood pact. I suggest you read up on the discussion and examples I presented in the Update thread.

Chaos4knuckles
Younin Commander

Location: The border of the Village Hidden in the Valley of the Sun, & Reno, the realm of Power

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I wonder what the slug sage mode and war hero sage mode would look like and you messed up, aka CHA going down...

cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't look more handsome if you fail to convert chakra. Look at Jiraiya as an example... because I'm certain that's where the CHA going down comes from.
Chaos4knuckles
Younin Commander

Location: The border of the Village Hidden in the Valley of the Sun, & Reno, the realm of Power

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said It was going to go up, I just wonder what you would like when It goes down, it perks my curiosity...

cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean particularly for the War Hero pact? That is a good question - given that heroes are the peak of physical strength. I'm going to guess that your face freezes into a heroic look, and can't change, which would hinder CHA based responses. Either that or turn into a hero that isn't well liked in the current period of time.

The slug is easy - your face begins to scretch, and your mouth grows weirder... easy to accomodate the CHA drain.
Felix_Zyphros
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you get a sub-zero like face mask, and your eyes turn into a deathly cold stare that freaks people out.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

? Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

Chaos4knuckles
Younin Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix_Zyphros wrote:
Or you get a sub-zero like face mask, and your eyes turn into a deathly cold stare that freaks people out.

That would be glorious, MORTAL KOMBAT!!! Twisted Evil

Keldon_Draconian
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea for a Senjutsu Technique.

While in Sage Mode, you use this technique as a swift action to gain a natural attack equivalent to that of your blood pact.

Jiraiya for example, could grow frog's pawns (Slam attack) to attack Pain. But he couldn't do hand seals properly (a certain penalty, but not disallowing, since he could use Rasengan), so he dismissed the pawns after a few minutes.

Drawback: will save or charisma damage (you are a bit closer to turning into a frog or another random animal).
Sacredstorm
Genin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there limitations to kage bunshins already present in the Sennin Mode technique? In the manga, Naruto could only have three clones out on the battle field with two focusing the Sage Chakra. With clones in mind, it isn't a stretch to point out that the clones also benefit from being in Sennin Mode, so maybe a limit of clones and a technique/trait that works like Kyouka Kage Bunshin but also works for other clones formed by natural elements such as the Mizu, Yuki, Ishi, etc.

Then maybe a technique for physically infusing Sage Chakra into the clones? To regain the chakra they are carrying you have to dismiss them within range or they have to be destroyed if outside the range of the technique. Having too many clones destroyed at the same time or while you have Sage Chakra also would result in petrification.
Ketsukage
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... There's nothing to support this in the manga, but it seems to me the flavor is right. What's everyone think about a technique or two for neutralizing poisons, toxins, and/or diseases affecting yourself. Not quite like medical jutsu, more like mastery over your own body coupled with the connectedness with nature... I don't have a rough draft for you, as I'm absolute shite for creating balanced game material, but I thought I might toss the idea out there.

Last edited by Ketsukage on Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WarHero should not have a sage mode, simply because they are not connected to nature like the rest of the summons. They don't in my game for that reason anyways.

To the above; removing poison etc. should just be medical.

Sengoku System

Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for paying attention: Senjutsu isn't limited to blood pacts. Kthx.

For the diseases and poisons, there's only so much I'm willing to allow Senjutsu to do right now.

And I've already taken into account the limitations for clones gathering nature energy or senjutsu chakra. I haven't decided yet about imbuing them with it.

Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we know they (normally) have 10% of the user's chakra but since it's senjutsu it's probably closer to 5%.

Sengoku System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: