Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

My opinion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> 4th Edition Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Killercloud
Rookie Younin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See I don't have a big problem with 4e, but my players hate it.

I will have my Vengeance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Athildur
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your players need to learn to give it a chance.

And by that, I don't mean cling desperately to their convictions that the game sucks but grudgingly play a game or 2 because the GM demands it, then demanding to switch back because 4e sucks so much.

Because that seems to be the brunt of people that hate 4e and 'give it a chance' seem to do.
SirShadow
Biffu Aroi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athildur wrote:
And, SirShadow, I'm sorry that the people who ponder over this day and night did not make the changes you find most appealing.
4th edition is like spring cleaning through D&D. They used the overhaul of the entire game system and reflected it by creating circumstances in the game world that reflect it.

It's like saying you hate Harry Potter because Dumbledore dies.
I don't like the new Faerun... because it's not like Faerun anymore... Much the same reason I don't like 4e--but I don't want to talk about that anymore. I just feel like the controllers of that setting written and otherwise, have completely alienated me. I no longer find any desire to buy their books and read about it, and I don't plan to. Many others I know who were really into the setting and the books feel the same way. Sure there will be new books and new customers, but... they lost a good chunk of fan-base...

And yea... I did stop reading after Dumbledore died... *SPOILER ALERT* until I found out Harry has an out of body experience at the end where he talks to him. Too bad I stopped reading again after Snape died... yea... I am so bitter...
Killercloud
Rookie Younin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the biggest problem is most of them liked to play as things other than base races and LOVED older lore Forgotten Realms. So to catter to them I made an alternate history and everything and then got complaints about how did it all change so much then...and basically they are nazis

I will have my Vengeance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ketsukage
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also not a fan of 4e. I do recognize that it's an impressive accomplishment from a game development standpoint. It's very well balanced, and very easy to use. However, when playing it I can't help but feel like I'm playing a computer game that requires more work than most. I feel that the class mechanics have sacrificed diversity for balance to a large degree. I also dislike the radical revamp of Faerun. A lot of the changes are necessary, it's true, but I do not like what appeared to be dramatic alteration of the world's geography just to incorporate an "oh-so-cool" dragon race from thin air. Bleh. Catering to dragon fanbois to such a degree fills me with an irrational hatred.

My biggest reason for disliking the system is it's restraints on your creativity. I thoroughly enjoyed trying new things in 3.5 and continue to do so in Pathfinder. Things like adventures that playtest the balance of a fully classed PC versus one with an ECL caused by a template. Occasionally I've played games where the PC's were all some monstrous race.. seemingly impossible in a 4e game. My favorite setting was Planescape, where it's not unheard of to find things like Illithid PCs.
chaoticangel97
Younin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, well my first post seemed a little stupid now that i reread it a couple times. I really didn't like what they did with Faerun(big fan of all the Forgotten Realms books, and not just those written by Salvatore) and that really turned me away from 4th at first, but i'll admit that is a bad reason not to like 4th. Personally I actually enjoy 4th edition as a system, it's easy to play/run and makes for good one shots when nobody wants to spend forever making a character. However while i like it as a system it just doesn't really feel like i'm playing D&D when i play it, to me it honestly sometimes feels more like i'm playing WoW on paper.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Athildur

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because everyone's been playing 3/3.5 for years, and you're used to that. 4e is so different, it's not that odd you don't really file like it's D&D anymore...
Ketsukage
Genin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athildur wrote:
That's because everyone's been playing 3/3.5 for years, and you're used to that. 4e is so different, it's not that odd you don't really file like it's D&D anymore...

I don't believe that's the problem for me. I played AD&D for many years, and the transition to 3rd edition was a glorious one. It was a little jarring at first, but upon reading the books I was extremely happy with the changes and excited to play. With fourth edition, the change was just as dramatic, but much less exciting. I played the "Scales of War" adventure path until the party hit 8th level.. I was enjoying the story, but not so much the gameplay. If I play it again, it will definitely not be in any established campaign setting. I will play in a setting of my own device and I will approach it as a new game, rather than thinking of it as a new incarnation of a favored past-time (a designation reserved now for Pathfinder).
Felix_Zyphros
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athildur wrote:
I've played 3e and 3.5e for a long time, and I can honestly say I still don't prefer it over 4th. Even though it has a lot more options and is less 'linear' (whatever that means).

Linear = being given only one or two options in a game to advance a storyline/character. In the case of 4e, it's the lack of multiclassing three different base classes and four different PrC's.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

? Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix_Zyphros wrote:
Athildur wrote:
I've played 3e and 3.5e for a long time, and I can honestly say I still don't prefer it over 4th. Even though it has a lot more options and is less 'linear' (whatever that means).

Linear = being given only one or two options in a game to advance a storyline/character. In the case of 4e, it's the lack of multiclassing three different base classes and four different PrC's.

Well, I think Athildur is referring to the fact that fighter's options usually involve just smacking the enemy with their weapons and ending turn in battle. Very Happy
Athildur

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix_Zyphros wrote:
Athildur wrote:

Yes, because everyone in 3e multiclassed for 7 classes. Oh wait, no they didn't. Remember that XP penalty? >_>

At the same time, you forget that Paragon and Epic paths don't really give you much in the way of powers. It still all comes from your base classes, and you DO get the option to multiclass into whatever you want, and get paragon paths associated with those classes.

Plus, with all the Power books and new player's handbooks etc. the leveling is never linear because there are plenty of powers and feats to choose from, each of which have a specific goal in mind.

Rather than give the option of being diverse by delving into five different classes, they put more diversity inside each individual class. Which is a much better way of handling things, I think.
Felix_Zyphros
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XP penalty doesn't apply if the classes are within 1 level of eachother, nor does it apply for favored classes or prestige classes Razz

Honestly, I wouldn't have so much of a problem with 4e if I didn't have to go out and buy hundreds of dollars worth of books again. That, and since the group I primarily game with have already decided to stick 4e on the bottom of the playing list, I don't see myself playing 4e anytime in the near future.

@cm- That's why you have the fighter 2.0, aka warblade.No longer just limited to smacking the enemy around. Heck, I've got a nice and easy number of stances/manuevers you can combine by level 15 (or 20 if you want to dual-stance it) that let's you hit everyone in a 10ft burst twice (15ft burst twice if you use say, a spiked chain) and deal rending damage for each hit.
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.

Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warblade is easily the strongest class ever produced in the entirety of 3.5, including all the brokenness of delay spell, metamagics and everything. Fighter has nothing--nothing--on it.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix_Zyphros wrote:

@cm- That's why you have the fighter 2.0, aka warblade.No longer just limited to smacking the enemy around. Heck, I've got a nice and easy number of stances/manuevers you can combine by level 15 (or 20 if you want to dual-stance it) that let's you hit everyone in a 10ft burst twice (15ft burst twice if you use say, a spiked chain) and deal rending damage for each hit.

It's nice, isn't it? But due to people like Frankto's notes on it, most of the people I play with usually don't allow that particular class.
SirShadow
Biffu Aroi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 3.5 fighter... granted I never go more than 5 levels in it before PrC'ing out, but the same can be said for any class...
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmkawasaki wrote:
It's nice, isn't it? But due to people like Frankto's notes on it, most of the people I play with usually don't allow that particular class.
With good reasons, though. Nobody wants someone like me to play a warblade.

Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one thing about 4e I don't like is how classes are done when a sorcerer or wizard can have almost 20hp or higher at first level, you know something is wrong. I'd like to try a game of it once to get a better grasp, but with that kind of hp you lose the feel that magic users are somewhat frail even if they also changed the damage to compensate for the extra hp.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a very good reason for that: it decreases the rate of mortality at low levels.

Naruto d20 Store
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true, and for new players its good, but for a player who is experienced as a spellcaster that's like giving a child the keys to a candy store, which we all know is a very bad idea. I'd only recommend such a system to new players, with the knowledge that this would only serve to prepare them for a much harder system, but that's just me.
Jensik
Sharkbait

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wizard with 24 HP won't seem so bad when you realize your tanks have double you HP value and amount if healing surges. Also when an orc skirmisher hits you for 13 damage and bloodies you in the first round, you'll definitely feel squishy.
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a caster gets caught in melee he isn't doing his job, I never let myself be in melee as a caster, ever.
Athildur

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D&D 3.5 : You get a crit from a shortbow. You DIE. Enough said.
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can say, that has never happened to me. The only time I got hit for a crit was in Naruto d20 and that was because the technique provoked critical damage no roll.
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have certainly not played enough games then, or maybe your DM dislikes criting his players. In my campaign, it's common to see at least one critical per battle, either from players or the DM's rolls.

Use a Chisagatana, and you will most certainly Crit. Use a Keirigan User, and you will probably see a Scythe Critical - x4 for the win.
Athildur

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hito Hyuga wrote:
Well, I can say, that has never happened to me. The only time I got hit for a crit was in Naruto d20 and that was because the technique provoked critical damage no roll.

Your GM is purposely keeping your enemies stupid. Or is editing rolls.

The point is that basically any other creature can kill a level 1 wizard in a single hit. Be it a lucky roll for damage, or a crit. The mage has nothing he can do against that.

Plus, the higher HP counts make battles last longer, making level 1 adventures a lot more fun and a lot less 'if I hit I kill'. It makes it more realistic, even.

And because of the healing surges, a wizard still has a lot less hp than the fighter, by virtue of not being able to recover half as much as the fighter.
Jensik
Sharkbait

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hito Hyuga wrote:
If a caster gets caught in melee he isn't doing his job, I never let myself be in melee as a caster, ever.

It's called a ranged weapon. Any warrior with half a brain has one. Be it a longbow, crossbow, javelins, or even a stack of daggers to chuck... a good frontline fighter knows to keep a contingency open for when Plan A (AKA beat the shit out of X) isn't an option. Never should a combatant be without a viable offensive action. Especially in 4E where options are plentiful.

See... the thing about tactical thinking... bad guys do it too.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmkawasaki wrote:
Use a Keirigan User, and you will probably see a Scythe Critical - x4 for the win.

And this is why I like 4E. No x4 crit with a Scythe. Excellent.

Also, it takes a lot to kill a man. You have to inflict enough trauma in the right places if you don't get lucky (or unlucky). The fact that you study a lot and cast spells doesn't change that.

Felix_Zyphros
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athildur wrote:
D&D 3.5 : You get a crit from a shortbow. You DIE. Enough said.

You get a crit from a swashbuckler/champion of correllen/dervish duel wielding elven thinblades. You die in a shower of gore.
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.

Felix_Zyphros
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankto wrote:
Warblade is easily the strongest class ever produced in the entirety of 3.5, including all the brokenness of delay spell, metamagics and everything. Fighter has nothing--nothing--on it.

Warblade is far from the strongest class. 5 words: Divine Metamagic and Persistant Spell. use those two feats, and you have a cleric who can't be stopped. There is also the save or die spells that a wizard can access around level 8.

Character's that rely on melee will never, without sever munchinkising, ever come close to a decently built caster.

Yes, 4e balanced that out, but they did it by making the line that seperated caster from warrior negligable. There are other ways to go about evening them out.
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.

Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warblade with a Keen, X Burst Fullblade of Speed can attack 10 times in one round at 2d8+38+1d6 (4d8+76+1d6+1d10 on a 17-20 crit) with mild power attack (-5) and do it again every 2 rounds.

Time Stands Still is reason enough. On the average monster, if you hit 7 times, you'll do around 450 damage (around 625 if you hit 10 times). Repeatedly. Forever. Or you can use a scythe and do damage in the thousands.

Or, of course, you could be Wrb 17/Bbn 1/Frenzied Berserker 5 at level 23 and break everything.

(And this is why nobody ever lets me play a warblade, ever. I am now in the process of demonstrating how to break a barbarian without use of the Scythe, as well.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> 4th Edition Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: