Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Multiple Instances of Evasion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Beginner's Lodge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Multiple Instances of Evasion Reply with quote

Recently, one of my players who had taken Fast hero and was planning on going into Shinobi Adept. However, he was concerned with the repeat gaining of the Evasion ability and asked what should be done about it.

To be honest, the only solution I could think of would be to implement the rule where Uncanny Dodge and Evasion switch places. This way, the Shinobi Adept's Evasion could count towards Uncanny Dodge 2.

However, I have another player who is also a Fast Hero (primary, where the other is only in that class for the defense benefits) and I feel that implementing that rule wouldn't be fair to him, since we are beginning at a low level. As such, I wanted to have some insight as to how others would rule this situation. Thanks for any help.
Shogimaru
ANBU Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give him a bonus feat chosen from the shinobi adept's feat list. Although limited it's better than gaining an ability twice. You could make it so he gains improved evasion but that would be a little OP at 6th level.
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't get a new ability - there is a loss for getting the same ability twice.
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Shogimaru Yeah, I would rather opt to not grant him Improved Evasion at such a low level. The Bonus Feat idea is one I had considered and would make for a good option, as I wasn't going to grant a repeat ability.

@cmkawasaki This, too, is an option and probably the expected one.

Last edited by ZeronosVega on Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Shogimaru
ANBU Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ cmkawasaki- Normally I wouldn't give him anything either but I thought ZV wanted to be generous

Also don't forget about multiclassing penalties. I don't see rules in the main file so I assume that basic and advanced classes can still count for XP penalty like they do in modern.
Dairius_Chi
Situationally Useful

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to find anyone that actually enforces multiclass XP penalties >.>

Yeah, generally if a class gives a feat you already had, I would allow another feat from that class's bonus feat list in place of it.

Class features not so much, if a tough hero went into shinobi bodyguard with remain conscious, getting it a second time would give no additional benefit, and wouldn't allow another ability to be chosen in its place.

It's up th the GM but, since there is already evasion X, I personally wouldn't allow the players to choose something else if they took fast and shinobi adept, getting evasion from both
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shogimaru wrote:
@ cmkawasaki- Normally I wouldn't give him anything either but I thought ZV wanted to be generous

Also don't forget about multiclassing penalties. I don't see rules in the main file so I assume that basic and advanced classes can still count for XP penalty like they do in modern.

I didn't think there was an XP penalty in Naruto d20 (or d20 Modern). At least not from what I have seen. Not that I would use, anyway. I see Naruto d20 as a game which lives on multiclassing. If it were DnD, I would definitely enforce it because of how broken characters can get due to crazy multiclassing.
Shogimaru
ANBU Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that makes things so much easier. I've been opperating under those conditions of my own fault. But yeah, ZV, multiclassing exists.
keksmuzh
Kage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't give him anything; unless you're doing the same thing for other players it seems like (unintentional) favoritism.

As for the multiclassing penalties: I also have yet to find someone that enforces them.
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shogimaru wrote:
Well that makes things so much easier. I've been opperating under those conditions of my own fault. But yeah, ZV, multiclassing exists.

I've just never seen it in any of the source books for d20. But still, I wouldn't enforce it in Naruto d20 for the sheer fact that the game seems to revolve so much about characters multiclassing. Plus, it's not like there are racial preferences in the system, since most everyone is human (and would thus gain a freebie for being a versatile race).

On another note, it's found on the d20srd that stacked Uncanny Dodge will become Improved Uncanny Dodge. Of course, it makes no mention of Evasion, so I will take it that it is ignored.
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keksmuzh wrote:
I wouldn't give him anything; unless you're doing the same thing for other players it seems like (unintentional) favoritism.

As for the multiclassing penalties: I also have yet to find someone that enforces them.

That was what I wanted to avoid, hence my original solution posted at the beginning where it would be applied (as he would have Uncanny Dodge 1 from Fast 1 and Evasion would come from Shinobi Adept 3).

I just didn't want to force the player who was purely Fast Hero to have to switch around his talents (which I could still see as favoritism towards the player in question).
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeronosVega wrote:
Shogimaru wrote:

I've just never seen it in any of the source books for d20. But still, I wouldn't enforce it in Naruto d20 for the sheer fact that the game seems to revolve so much about characters multiclassing. Plus, it's not like there are racial preferences in the system, since most everyone is human (and would thus gain a freebie for being a versatile race).

On another note, it's found on the d20srd that stacked Uncanny Dodge will become Improved Uncanny Dodge. Of course, it makes no mention of Evasion, so I will take it that it is ignored.

D20 Modern specifically does NOT enforce it, which is why Naruto D20 doesn't either.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evasion, uncanny dodge, and what have you, do not stack. You gain nothing more if you already have the ability.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most GMs (any I have been under) would grant a bonus feat from the list of that class if characters have multiple instances of the same ability because some classes synergize well together but getting dead levels just kills a class for some people, which can actually cause a character to become subpar (which is fine for low power games, but I've yet to be in one) so it's still up to the GM. I always ask about these things before I plan my build, cause it's useful information to know.
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hito Hyuga wrote:
Most GMs (any I have been under) would grant a bonus feat from the list of that class if characters have multiple instances of the same ability because some classes synergize well together but getting dead levels just kills a class for some people, which can actually cause a character to become subpar (which is fine for low power games, but I've yet to be in one) so it's still up to the GM. I always ask about these things before I plan my build, cause it's useful information to know.

True. I just wanted to see how each person would rule on such a situation, not that I was unfamiliar with how the rules are.

The general consensus is to not grant any sort of compensation, which I can very much understand. But, if I wanted to try and be generous, I wanted to see if my idea would be considered a fair trade-off (i.e. using the alternate rule for Evasion/Uncanny Dodge 1) since more than one player would be affected.

While the idea of granting a Bonus Feat is a viable option, I'd rather avoid just granting additional feats and I would never consider granting an enhanced ability such as Improved Evasion or Improved Uncanny Dodge. My last post was more-or-less concerned with the Multiclassing discussion, where the link highlighted (or rather, didn't) any sort of rule on XP Penalty. It was just a bonus that it talked about how to treat the stacking of Uncanny Dodge, but that source is geared towards a d20 game geared towards DnD.
Nerameshu
Genin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most systems I've seen, the Uncanny Dodge or Evasion (or what have you) will tell you in the class description whether or not to upgrade it if a player already has it. In this sense, if the Shinobi Adpet class doesn't say to replace it with something else, you really shouldn't replace it. I hate to draw a parallel from real life into a discussion about a d20 game, but if you learn to do something in martial arts IRL, then you won't learn to do it again in another art. The movements may be different, but you're doing the same thing.

On multiclassing- To deal with the "let's kill rats to level up" mentality, my DM doesn't award experience. Instead, when he feels we've accomplished something, we level up. Two plus sessions were we made LOTR jokes? No levels. A single, half-hour session were we took on two bosses and lived? Level up.
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerameshu wrote:
In most systems I've seen, the Uncanny Dodge or Evasion (or what have you) will tell you in the class description whether or not to upgrade it if a player already has it. In this sense, if the Shinobi Adpet class doesn't say to replace it with something else, you really shouldn't replace it. I hate to draw a parallel from real life into a discussion about a d20 game, but if you learn to do something in martial arts IRL, then you won't learn to do it again in another art. The movements may be different, but you're doing the same thing.

On multiclassing- To deal with the "let's kill rats to level up" mentality, my DM doesn't award experience. Instead, when he feels we've accomplished something, we level up. Two plus sessions were we made LOTR jokes? No levels. A single, half-hour session were we took on two bosses and lived? Level up.

That can work, but some games (like mine) reward the players when they take on optional missions (and they usually come at the worst time or they are much harder then challenges of that level should be) such as fighting the elite bandits in a burning building where they take 1d6 damage every 2 rounds (no save) and if they stayed in there 8 rounds, game over, dead as the building would have collapsed on them.
keksmuzh
Kage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerameshu wrote:

My GM uses a % system of exp, where all players get the same % at end of session, based on how much got done. Yes, these methods can cause issues for things like crafting items that cost exp, but there are workarounds. This method also keeps everyone leveling evenly, which can be good and bad.
Nerameshu
Genin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hito: If we take on an extra mission, it counts towards whether or not we gain a level. If it was a particularly hard extra mission, we gain a level before we play again. If it was a waste of dungeon-spelunking brought on by our min-maxer, we just chalk it up to the "Have we leveled up yet?" gauge.

keksmuzh: In our game, the DM just makes us give up something else. In the terms of negative levels, it's more like an eyeball or an arm.

*DISCLAIMER* This isn't the Nd20 system I'm talking about. I'm GMing that one, and I haven't gotten a chance to yet.
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerameshu wrote:
Hito: If we take on an extra mission, it counts towards whether or not we gain a level. If it was a particularly hard extra mission, we gain a level before we play again. If it was a waste of dungeon-spelunking brought on by our min-maxer, we just chalk it up to the "Have we leveled up yet?" gauge.

keksmuzh: In our game, the DM just makes us give up something else. In the terms of negative levels, it's more like an eyeball or an arm.

*DISCLAIMER* This isn't the Nd20 system I'm talking about. I'm GMing that one, and I haven't gotten a chance to yet.

Well, I discourage mix/maxing in my games and sufficiently punish (read kill) those pretty quickly. I'm fine with optimization, but min/maxing is something I hate unless my game calls for it (which they hardly do, only one and I never got to get it going due to running out of ideas)
Aigol
Kage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my games I generally hand out xp based on accomplishments. If it is a relevant mission combat you get xp but if you decide to just start running around killing stuff it doesn't matter how much you do you don't get xp. I also hand out mission xp to make the players level up on a particular timetable
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Beginner's Lodge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: