Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Next Update (When I get a Fur Coat)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Infinitus
Holiday Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it doesn't really matter if it is changed or not, but you could get two meta chakra charges from it <3.
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and THAT's updated too. The status, I mean, not the file.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
Infinitus
Holiday Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have ton's of optional rules and variants. Could you please name them?

Optional Rule: Easier Saving Throws

this is far easier to refer to them, than giving them each time a new name, and everyone starts calling stuff differently.
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, because they don't already have names. This is the part where I look at you and shake my head and wonder what goes through yours when you make those posts. O_o

Infinitus
Holiday Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optional Rule: blablabla.

How do they have names? Optional Rule (Name): blablabla. Would have been a named one. There are like two named ones between like 10 unnamed ones.

Mastercraft Optional Rule
Reach Optional Rule
Genius Optional Rule

you might know what they mean, but just listing those players might not know what you mean. And instead of searching the entire file for an optional rule, you might just come up with handy names, so searching for them is no bother.

I hope that explains my concerns.
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinitus
Holiday Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly my reaction on your reaction.
It looks like I have deep personal issues with user-friendliness being seemingly an alien concept to you.
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've included the new Symbiote bloodline, as well as the Fast Regeneration special quality, my personal take on what regeneration should be.

Senshen
Rookie Younin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay now the Symbiote Bloodline sounds awesome can't wait to see it.

Fear my dragon army!

Felix_Zyphros
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinitus wrote:
That is exactly my reaction on your reaction.
It looks like I have deep personal issues with user-friendliness being seemingly an alien concept to you.

This is, of course, nothing new. Frankto reacts to things being user-friendly like an alcoholic reacts to a week sober.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

? Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that must be why I host and moderate this community and answer every single email, private message and most questions sent my way. -_-'

Now, for people actually interested, here are more updates. Namely, some new utility spacetime techniques, a new epic feat for the Symbiote, and a(n almost) completely new Reikyo bloodline.

Senshen
Rookie Younin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reikyo is changed huh well I will have to look that up first thing as I am using it in a game currently though I am sure it will be even cooler. As for the user friendly thing I personally have never had an issue.

Fear my dragon army!

Naruto d20 Store
NinjaCP
Master of Space and Time

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep up the good work, man.

In the words of the Beastie Boys, "Gotta keep it goin', keep it goin' full steam."
Infinitus
Holiday Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Perform (Martial Arts) mechanic seems so wrong. The bonus from BAB is really bad.

There should be rather a synergy with taijutsu, so that not someone with a high BAB but no taijutsu skill can do something like martial arts?
This sounds like "you don't have to learn it, you just need to be precise when cutting stuff down."

The part of me that learned martial arts years ago cries out loud.

Oh and probably more importantly:
Then this skill is missing out of every class as a class skill, except for the puppet master... that makes me guess that something went wrong.
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got proficiency in the weapon you know how to use it, think of that as pretty much Perform (Weapon Drill) I mean, if you have ranks in Perform (Martial Arts) that's the training for it, right? Mind you, just from using a weapon you gain some martial arts knowledge, I myself, have no formal training with a sword, but I've used one for practice on my own for about two years, just slashing with it, and I've gotten a right good feel for it's balance, and how to strike with it, by no means a professional display (as I've seen a professional put on a show with swords, looked epic) but I was able to show off better than someone who never picked up a sword a day in their life (consider they likely do not have the proficiency with the weapon, thus cannot use Perform (Martial Arts) with it)

Even if one doesn't have ranks, they still have that knowledge of learning the martial arts though battle, rather than training. It's commonplace in anime settings, a character learns to use a weapon or technique through being forced to fight and only receives formal training later.
Infinitus
Holiday Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hito Hyuga wrote:
If you've got proficiency in the weapon you know how to use it, think of that as pretty much Perform (Weapon Drill) I mean, if you have ranks in Perform (Martial Arts) that's the training for it, right? Mind you, just from using a weapon you gain some martial arts knowledge, I myself, have no formal training with a sword, but I've used one for practice on my own for about two years, just slashing with it, and I've gotten a right good feel for it's balance, and how to strike with it, by no means a professional display (as I've seen a professional put on a show with swords, looked epic) but I was able to show off better than someone who never picked up a sword a day in their life (consider they likely do not have the proficiency with the weapon, thus cannot use Perform (Martial Arts) with it)

Even if one doesn't have ranks, they still have that knowledge of learning the martial arts though battle, rather than training. It's commonplace in anime settings, a character learns to use a weapon or technique through being forced to fight and only receives formal training later.

Well the point is perform can be used untrained. Yes you can, that is right. But no matter how much you use a sword, this will never be as good as a professional show. That is why BAB is fail here, and it actually should be taijutsu, or no synergy at all...
looking from another perspective this is nothing more than flag throwing, which could already blend with another skill...

oh, and if you do not believe me, tell me again that some experience street brawler could pull of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Cfy4d9-to
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinitus wrote:
Hito Hyuga wrote:

Well the point is perform can be used untrained. Yes you can, that is right. But no matter how much you use a sword, this will never be as good as a professional show. That is why BAB is fail here, and it actually should be taijutsu, or no synergy at all...
looking from another perspective this is nothing more than flag throwing, which could already blend with another skill...

oh, and if you do not believe me, tell me again that some experience street brawler could pull of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Cfy4d9-to

That's when you, as a GM, look at them and say "you do not have proficiency with the weapon and thus cannot use perform (martial arts) with that weapon." if they do not have combat martial arts, well then they can't use it with unarmed, they don't have archaic weapons proficiency, then don't let them use it with a katana etc etc etc
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I'd written a long and involved post, but what it really boils down to is this.

Infinitus wrote:

The part of me that taught martial arts wants me to tell you to sit down and shut up. Am I going to make a simple skill like that more complicated? No. I'm not going to turn this system into something only an engineer could love.

If you're going to nitpick at mechanics, do it with something that actually matters.

Infinitus
Holiday Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankto wrote:
You know, I'd written a long and involved post, but what it really boils down to is this.

Infinitus wrote:

The part of me that taught martial arts wants me to tell you to sit down and shut up. Am I going to make a simple skill like that more complicated? No. I'm not going to turn this system into something only an engineer could love.

If you're going to nitpick at mechanics, do it with something that actually matters.

Because half Taijutsu ranks, is that much different from half BAB. removing the synergy at all would be actually the easiest way.
Still it is not a class skill of any class, except for the puppeteer.

If you want a nitpick on something important? The possibility of dealing too much damage that cannot be avoided... I don't think it is a good idea keeping it the way that a character can kill himself within a single round.
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one thing? Giving synergy based on total skill ranks in another skill is poor form, the +2 synergy bonus from 5 ranks notwithstanding. This isn't something you do.

For another, what the f... O_o

I think I understand better now why ND20 has been around so long and other similar projects haven't.

cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to butt in with my two cents.

I've never seen anyone bother to waste their skill points with the above skill, and I don't think it's worth anyone's time arguing over this skill.

Also, just FYI - I don't see the synergy bonus you are talking about. Are you sure this rule isn't already fixed in the latest main file?
keksmuzh
Kage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmkawasaki wrote:

I've never seen anyone bother to waste their skill points with the above skill, and I don't think it's worth anyone's time arguing over this skill.

Also, just FYI - I don't see the synergy bonus you are talking about. Are you sure this rule isn't already fixed in the latest main file?

While the synergy in question IS in the current main file, I agree CM; this is such an unimportant skill that it hardly matters at all. There are far more relevant discussions regarding what class skills certain classes do and don't have, or how certain synergy bonuses work. This is less than a nitpick.

In case anyone else has been unable to find the aforementioned rule:

Perform (Cha) [New Use]
With this skill, the character learns to perform for an audiance a specific set of skills he
has practiced. This practice serves no purpose in battle, but is very showy and eyepleasing.
- Martial Arts: The character is proficient at martial arts used in shows and and war dances. He can merge deadly battle skills with grace and finesse to create an entrancing dance or awe-inspiring demonstration.

Special: As per the Perform skill, the character can take 10 but not take 20. The character suffers a -4 penalty to checks made when using a weapon he is not proficient in, or without the Combat Martial Arts feat while unarmed.

Synergy: The character adds one-half his base attack bonus as a synergy bonus to Perform (martial arts) checks.
Infinitus
Holiday Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmkawasaki wrote:

Then why not remove it, it is unused anyways -- except for the puppeteer?

and what about the damage stuff?
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you see something as unimportant doesn't mean it actually is, Infinitus. Believe it or not, some people actually like flavor in their characters. As someone whose D&D character actually has the Perform (weapon drill) skill, its D&D equivalent, I can safely say: NO.

As for the "damage stuff," this is something that appears to be beyond you. Take a closer look at--well, every d20 system, ever. I'm not going to bother to try and explain it to you.

Naruto d20 Store
Dairius_Chi
Situationally Useful

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yeah, I just found out there's a perform(martial arts) skill >.>
Infinitus
Holiday Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankto wrote:
Just because you see something as unimportant doesn't mean it actually is, Infinitus. Believe it or not, some people actually like flavor in their characters. As someone whose D&D character actually has the Perform (weapon drill) skill, its D&D equivalent, I can safely say: NO.

As for the "damage stuff," this is something that appears to be beyond you. Take a closer look at--well, every d20 system, ever. I'm not going to bother to try and explain it to you.

So there is perform martial arts, because you wanted an equivalent -- you know that is pretty cheap? Then didn't add it to the classes? seriously, I begin to see where you're ideas are coming from, and thus where they are going.
Flavor? What is that? j/k it is not like DnD 3.5 intends flavor to begin with. adding it later is like a stylistic inconsitency.

I would still let my players roll on Perform (dance) because it is the closest skill there is, and probably the same skill I would use for flag-wavers.
You don't need two skills for the same thing, so probably you can remove craft (calligraphy) ~ which is now just for crafting seals too. which also might overlap with perform (writing), when creating like new symbols Wink.

For the damage, well if you narrow it down to every d20 system between 3.0 and 4.0 then you are definately right. I don't know about 4.0 ~ it didn't look like this in levels up to 9, but if you exculde spells from AD&D it was definately not possible for an avg level x fighter to kill himself in a single round.
Oh yeah, and in SW:Saga it was pretty much balanced too.
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the amount of sense you make is inversely proportional to the amount of sense you think you make, Infinitus. Now I realize this post is going to sound as angry, but you know what? I kind of am. And I'm tired of dealing with this bullshit. This is my freaking hobby, for Christ's sake.

Begin rant.

You must have forgotten all about occupations. Moreover, you assume that just because I add a skill it means I'm going to add it to classes that don't need it; clearly this is not the case. If you wonder why few classes have the Perform skill, it's because few classes need the Perform skill. And if you wonder why the Puppeteer has it, well, I'm sorry for you. And before you start insulting the work I put in this project, take a look in the mirror: every single one of your projects is a mess.

Now there's one more thing. Craft (calligraphy) is only for crafting things? Well gosh, I wonder how that makes sense in any way at all. Have you ever actually read the d20 Modern book, Infinitus? I can't imagine you have, because you wouldn't suggest Craft (writing) as an alternative.
Quote:
Check: This skill allows a character to create short stories, novels, scripts and screenplays, newspaper articles and columns, and similar works of writing.

But hey, let's not let this deter us. Let's move on! Do you know something? AD&D is a terrible game. It was great at the time, and it inspired great things, but compared to the much higher standards we have today? Not even a little bit. From a design standpoint, it's a joke. And moreover, everyone thinks SWSE is a joke. It wins by virtue of being the only viable system for Star Wars games, because it's the only one that keeps current.

Why do I even do this? It's not like I'm paid to deal with your bullshit, or the insane arguments you drag me into attract more people. If you don't like it, make one better. What do I care? This was fine until you started insulting the work I put into this, but now I'm just about ready to tell you to fuck off. If you have constructive ideas that aren't completely and utterly insane, well... surprise me.

EDIT: And one more thing. If you think adding something after a game or system is published is a "stylistic inconsistency," you're an idiot. Believe it or not, I'm just one guy who's getting better as he goes along, and like everyone else, my style evolves along with me. Now if you refuse to get out of that stagnant pool you've been sitting in for the past X years, that's fine, but I'm not going to let you drag me down into it with you. When I say no, it means no.

End rant.

Now if some of you find that offensive, well tough. I dedicate enough time to this project without having to defend my every choice. Sometimes, people have ideas I like and sometimes they don't. Enough pushing when I say no repeatedly is bound to get my goat, especially on something as idiotic as this.

Dairius_Chi
Situationally Useful

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, but isn't perform(martial arts) just the same as perform(weapon drill)? And hell, Frankto didn't even add the 5ish feats that give a +2 bonus(like TWF, quick draw, combat expertise).

I don't wanna pretend I'm an expert or anything, but I also think getting this worked up over a skill is kind of...well unnecessary is a nicer way of saying it I guess.

Also, maybe I'm missing something, but what is all this mention of a fighter killing themself at X level? There isn't anything about the skill that says if you fail you chop off your head or anything >.>

EDIT: Also, Charismatic has it, since they get perform(all) taken individually. Beyond that: What other classes do you think would have even some training in dancing? Taijutsu master learns how to hit things, most of the other 'weapon' focused classes are the same way...they aren't skillful like the Bard or Rogue.

I guess the biggest issue I see with this is how much energy you've put into the argument on something that affects such a minor minor portion of the gaming community, I mean I've never even SEEN a character using it in all the games I've played, with all the people I've played with...and even if someone found away to abuse this, who cares? It is a skill entirely FOR flavor...unless of course the GM makes a giant gate that only accepts entertaining weapon dances as payment >.>
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dairius_Chi wrote:
It is a skill entirely FOR flavor...unless of course the GM makes a giant gate that only accepts entertaining weapon dances as payment >.>

lol, someone should so do this now.... I'd laugh so hard.
NinjaCP
Master of Space and Time

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus tittyfucking Christ, can we just drop this?! I've been on the forums long enough that I don't even need to read this to know what's going on. Allow me to summarize:

• Someone doesn't like a particular mechanic because, in their opinion, it doesn't do a good job of reflecting reality.
  • Frankto disagrees and declines to make any changes
  • Nobody takes the hint and instead of just dropping it and moving on, everyone begins to beat a dead horse, posting their two cents on the topic.
  • Frankto gets pissed off and wonders why he puts up with this shit.

Do I win a motherfucking cigar? I think I do.

This is clearly not productive at all. If this were any other thread, it would've been locked ages ago. I'm tired of logging in and seeing new posts about this. I'm beyond the point of caring who's right and who's wrong here. Can we please move on now and stop this pissing constest?

Thank you.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: