Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Help: D&D Teleport Item?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> 4th Edition Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Help: D&D Teleport Item? Reply with quote

I'm looking for input on how to best restrict/create a special item with limited uses, I'll first get to my point.

We have a total of 14-15 characters, each one of different class or atleast specializes on a different path. As we all know 4th D&D is best suited with 4-5 characters. As a standard we say that the characters not being played are out doing other things, which is no problem in itself.

My issue is that I'd like a way to swap party members while inside a deep dungeon, traversing the underdark or most other places with some exceptions.

You know how it is, you bring your party of fighters thinking that the only thing you'll encounter is some measly gobs or lower lifeform of XP. But as you get deeper into the dungeon you find out there's a dragon who's using the goblins to gather treasure for his horde; but your odds of survival are next to none now because you didn't think you needed a healer.
Note: I'd just like to be clear that the above is an example, we never leave home without a healer. It just seemed a very appropriate example of needing to swap party members.

With that being said here's the general outline I got;
1. Limited to 2-4 uses per 24 hours.
2. The magic item(s) would be a set of 3 (orb, ring, staff etc)?
3. It cost 2 teleports to swap 1 member (1 per orb; caller & receiver).
4. You can't force a party member to teleport, they choose to "accept" the teleport call.

I'm sure I can probably simplify it but it's 3:30am. Thanks for any help ahead of time.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Sengoku System
Me: the hizoku attacks you with his yari, your actions?

Max: I evade with a 13 and counter attack with a 1,000... *pause for silence*

Last edited by Shun on Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Athildur
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not create a single (or multiple) set(s) of 'swap' rings.

Rings that are linked together and can swap one person's position with the other, as long as both are within the same plane.

Tack on a limited use (like, it's a daily item power or something) and there you go.

Also makes a nice sidetracker if you can steal one of them Razz
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hatch is right. Rings, necklaces, earrings--doesn't matter. A teleport circle power, and your swap power that would need to work despite distance. Those should take a while to use to limit the combat potential of those things.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
Athildur

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup that works pretty well. If you added a ritual of sorts to activate it, that would limit it's combat use. You know, a ritual that takes a bit longer than 6 seconds :p.

Perhaps you need to draw the circle, or a set of runes, or incant a long ritual activation spell.

Because it's more convenient if the bugger who made these rings was a crazy hermit who enjoys all those little rituals. That, or GM Magic (tm).
Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again guys, it actually makes sense and I even thought about it but I felt I should check with some familiar people. I'm aware of the Linked Portal ritual covered in the book but it just seems wrong to me... anyhow, this is what I got;

Ring of Bonds; Level 12
This plain looking silver ring is inscribed with a unique magic script legible only to the wearer. It is however useless without its counterpart. Despite the fact it's rare to find a set, it's rumored more do exist.

Item Slot: Ring
Property: Each ring is part of a set of two.
Power [Daily, Teleportation]: 1 minute; By succeeding an Intelligence check DC 10 the wearer of the ring may swap places with the person who owns the twin ring so long as they are alive, willing, on the same plane of existence and not warded from doing so.

Edit: Let me know what you think, still haven't slept so I may of missed something or wording may be funny. If you feel it's done then feel free to use them in your game(s). I just need to find a fun way to introduce them now. Twisted Evil

Sengoku System

Last edited by Shun on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Athildur

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you shouldn't restrict it to out of combat, as it makes no sense. If they wanna spend 1 minute during combat trying to do this (make it require concentration or whatever), let them. Razz
Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense, I'll make that small edit then.

Sengoku System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> 4th Edition Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: