Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Star Wars as a GM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> RPG General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Star Wars as a GM Reply with quote

I'm set to try my hand at GMing Star Wars Saga Edition, and I was wondering if any of you had played or run a game in the Star Wars universe before--not necessarily SWSE, SWD20 or even a d20 game.

If so, what's it like? Any tips?

My personal opinion is that the game, and the universe, has tremendous potential if done correctly. That said, I've neither played nor run a Star Wars game before. Either way, I'm very much looking forward to it, and surprisingly it has very little to do with combat.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
TheTrulyAvaricious
Bijuu/Tailed Beast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in a game of that before. The GM ended up bailing after a couple of sessions, which was a major shame, but otherwise it was a lot of fun. Combat's nothing too wonky, and the system - with all its rules - still gives leeway for customisation. Great for my character, who was a Cerean techie. This prompted me to track down the rulebook.

Overall, its worth a shot. A nice game, with great potential, with a good GM and players.
PsionicFox
Genin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAGA is great. They managed to remove some of the horrible broken-ness of revised edition, and its generally pretty hard to screw up a build. I mean, you can make sub-optimal choices just like any system, but they don't seem to cripple you as hard.

I once played a Jedi character who HAD a lightsaber, and even had abilities that made her great at using one, and she didn't draw it for almost a year of tabletop gaming. That stunned look on people's faces was priceless as she cut down a half dozen mooks with a combination of force powers and lightsaber prowess.

It was epic.

That's not much feature creep, which is nice. The system seemed to get deeper, as opposed to stronger with every book expansion. It can be as complex or as simple as you choose it to be.

And the setting is so rich, you can get away with almost anything.
chaoticangel97
Younin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can't offer any tips in regards to mechanics, but you don't seem to be looking for just that. I have run/been in PbP games for Star Wars before so I may be able to provide some tips for running it in regards to the universe. Do you have an idea what Era you plan to set it in? Old Republic, Galactic Empire, ect... as that could affect my tips as each different Era has a major effect on how the game will likely be run.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I covered my overall sessions and feelings in another post, I'll just say that it feels like Star Wars if the GM knows what they are doing. My GM is a Star Wars fanatic who owns all the books etc.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Sengoku System
Me: the hizoku attacks you with his yari, your actions?

Max: I evade with a 13 and counter attack with a 1,000... *pause for silence*
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My game is set around 500 BBY, or around 500 years after the Rule of Two was made a thing by the Sith'ari, and it's a Sith game--a Sith apprentice a bounty hunter. It's a nice, blank era because I'm not terribly fond of using other people's characters and plots, so I make my own.

As far as "feeling like Star Wars" goes, what does that mean? The few adventures I've looked at for an idea what it was like to GM it all gave PCs a script, which I don't intend to do. It should be noted that I am not a Star Wars fanatic; I am a fan at most. I do not own all the novels or comics, I have not watched the Expanded Universe series, and I don't know every planet, every race, every nook and cranny of the entire galaxy. That said, though, I can do my homework and I have every resource I need at my disposal.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as "feeling like Star Wars" goes, what does that mean? The few adventures I've looked at for an idea what it was like to GM it all gave PCs a script, which I don't intend to do. It should be noted that I am not a Star Wars fanatic; I am a fan at most.
Yea, we never supported the script idea in any game and that is indeed a perfect time to play around in. It all depends on what your players are going for; force-users, non-force, mixed, old republic, new republic, empire or non-affiliated etc.

It's kind of hard to explain, but when you play different versions of games and with different GMs you can honestly say "this feels like X". If I had to try it's all on how the environment is described. Confused

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Sengoku System
Me: the hizoku attacks you with his yari, your actions?

Max: I evade with a 13 and counter attack with a 1,000... *pause for silence*
Toratsume
Genin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that era would have a lot of Crimelord and gang influence in the outer rim. Plenty of story to be played with there.
Felix_Zyphros
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google the errata, it fixes some things. Like fixing stun damage so you can't take down Palpatine by just opening fire with blasters set to stun.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

? Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

Felix_Zyphros
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://swrpgrc.com/files/Saga%20Edition%20Resources/SE%20Errata.pdf

There's the errata.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

? Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

PsionicFox
Genin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When someone asks me about the 'feel' of Star Wars, I think about the themes. The balance and struggle of good versus evil, the nature of galactic politics, the mystery of the Outer Rim and the areas beyond known space.

The whole Dark Side/Light Side thing is tantamount to a religious war, with both sides looking at the same thing, but seeing something entirely different.

What are the things that I think of when I think about Star Wars? The seedy Mos Eisley Cantina, the planet-metropolis that is Coruscant, and the millenia-old conflict between the Dark and Light.

As long as you touch on the core themes of the setting and gice your players the freedom to explore, I'm sure the game will be awesome.

And is now making me want to play in a SAGA game.

Damn you Frankto....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> RPG General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: