Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Portfolio of Prestige: Volume IV at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

anyone else have this experiance?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zerrkhar
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: anyone else have this experiance? Reply with quote

So I have been playing in a castlevania/ Van Helsing/ mistical martial arts game the passed 2 months and it's going really well. I'm playing an ex russian special forces with a sumo/sambo martial arts background. We're hunting down dracula himself. Any way we play every weekend and right now we are stuck in a forest starving cause we were told by the dwarven hunter that he can hunt anything. Of corse everytime he trys he fails. So I who my character has no hunting training or skills what so ever. Walks into the forest sneaks up on a full grown male deer and grapple it to death. And then the next four trys is the samething useing no weapons.
TheTrulyAvaricious
Bijuu/Tailed Beast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens. Occasionally, even the character with the greatest bonuses to a certain task/skill set will lose out to the muppet with the luckiest rolls.

I recall a time in WFRP, where the party healer was desperately trying to save me, the halfling, from bleeding out. He makes 3 rolls, each getting progressively worse. Pissed off, the fighter, drunk off his ass, pushes her out of the way, and manages to make a crit wil a basic First aid roll (half appropriate stat), and I stabilise. He then walks off, saying "Fuckin' poncy elves, can't do anything right".
Jensik
Sharkbait

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It becomes much less frequent at higher levels when your skill bonus with a roll of 1 will be higher than they are capable of with a roll of 20.

Remember that skill checks don't auto-fail on a 1 (unless your GM is a jerk)
Faran Kredo
Younin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is... yes, many many times.

mostly at level one, but we once had a nuclear bomb go off (the party did it, the gm was not being a jerk, and ... well, he tried to be a nice guy and give the party one last roll on their fort. save. Homebrewed system, but essesntially it came out to be... the fighter was vaporised before he could even scream, the rest of the party nat 20ed, and were left standing there in nothing but rags.

player 1:
"Woo, love the light show, hey, where's (fighter's name)"

Player2:
"oh, he's here, and there, and there, and there and-"

Player3:
(picks piece of skin off wall) "here he is!"
SirShadow
Biffu Aroi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um... what level were you at that point? Unless you were high epics, I don't think you should be able to survive a nuclear explosion if you were in any way able to be affected by it. <_<;;
Faran Kredo
Younin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gm, and I fluffed it as some thing or other to do with their anscestral powers (something already in the campaign) (I don't like TPK) besides which, it was a homebrew system with a max level of about 5. They were level 2. I have already ranted about this group, and this was one of their better moments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: