Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Role playing gone wrong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> RPG General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faran Kredo
Younin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Role playing gone wrong Reply with quote

More stupidity from Faran Kredo, but I wanted to know, have any of you had experiences where somebody just took roleplaying too far, and what did the rest of the group do? Or even better, when roleplaying a character well led to something going drastically wrong.

I have never had problems with excessive roleplay (worst I had was people with an inability roleplay, a person who tried to seduce every possible woman, and a guy who constantly made stupid mistakes and treated the game like a stand up comedy). So I was wondering what the other extreme was like.
Traenix
Special Jounin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's the opposite of roleplaying, but once, while playing D&D, one of the players wanted to buy something. They find a store caravan, the guy is ok to sell him the thing. I tell him "the price will be 140", and he just says "What ? Wtf no sorry but the price is 110. There, look *show the player manual*, it's written 110. I ain't gonna pay 140 [...]".
TheTrulyAvaricious
Bijuu/Tailed Beast

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, that's just silly. If the player was buying from a caravan, I expect it was out of the way from the general market, so you can expect the prices to be a little dearer.

I suppose one experience I had was when I ran the Phelan adventure in IronClaw. The Phelan are essentially several nomadic tribes of wolves, with their own set of rules and customs unlike those found in the rest of the game. One important one being, they do not trade in the local currency, rather, barter is the only way to get anything. The players are at the last outpost that does trade in coin, and the Frog burglar (home-brewed race) robs this place BLIND. I mean, literally, he loots the place of most of its stock, as well as rob a uniquely crafted storm-lantern, and the owners wedding ring. He then high-tails it out the chimney like a bad Santa, and runs off to the forest in his barrel of water.

Sadly, he was one of my better players...
Faran Kredo
Younin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was more thinking in terms of excessive roleplaying. Not just bad roleplaying, or where good roleplaying had horrible unforseen consequences. I once had a guy who decided that it was better for the guy to die than to live in torture, so he essentially killed one of the most important characters to the plot.
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really call any roleplay excessive. Until it disrupts the story, the death of an important character in D&D is of little consequence, with the multitude of methods to bring back the dead. Last time I killed an important character, someone revived him, that someone being a person that did not like us.

I've had my times where I took roleplay too far, but it made sense. Playing a barbarian, I don't care if I have an int of 18, if I've lived among a barbarian tribe for my whole life and go into a normal city, I'm not gonna know that it's not legal to just walk into a house (with the intention of saying hello to the residents) nor that doors being locked (as my tribe never locked doors, for lack of locks, or reason to need to lock them) means stay out... or that huge 50ft high stone gates should not be broken open when we're told to escape a city, the one time I got a good roll, GM was like "dude.... okay, I can't deny you this, epic moment achieved" never had such luck again.
Faran Kredo
Younin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not quite excessive, but it still counts. Personally, if my local players thought about what their characters would do that much, I would be so happy.

By excessive roleplaying, I mean stuff like "We once actually had a girl perched on the edge of her chair and screeching because her druid had turned into an eagle" (a quote from somewhere). Or by roleplaying gone wrong, I meant that the character roleplayed well, but the unforeseen consequences were nasty. I once had my druid converse with a primal spirit (very wise, but no knowledge of the world). This was just before the big end of the campaign.

Anyway, inadvertantly, I convinced this spirit that the world had gone crazy with the rampant spread of cities. This was then a side quest for my character for ages (all of the party had individual side quests to try to clean up any mess that they may have made before the final battle). Anyway, this primal spirit almost killed me and half the civilised world, but in the end gave me 10 years to prove to him that cities were not that bad (yeah, I was challenging the stereotype of tree hugging druids, one of my favourite chars). We never managed to see what happened there, since the campaign dyed just before the climax of the main plot (don't you just hate it when that happens).

The reason that I didn't mention this originally, is that the whole reason that I was talking to this spirit was because of bad roleplaying on my part (much to my shame).
Naruto d20 Store
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> RPG General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: