Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

What do you use Fuinjutsu for?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Athildur
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: What do you use Fuinjutsu for? Reply with quote

As the topic states, a question to all of you (and any friends you may play this game with, ask them too!): If/when you ever develop Fuinjutsu for a character or NPC, why do you do this?

What is the main thing you get out of this branch of techniques?
Brightblinder
Kage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a character in SS's current game who will eventually use fuinjutsu and I even plan on developing some new ones for him as well. He'll use it to stop opponents with specific abilities, for example the five element seal suppresses all supernatural abilities of the target which is very useful.

He'll also use it to make some of his ninjutsu more permanent. I recently started designing an earth golem technique for him, as a prerequisite to the stone golem technique from the anime. I plan on those golem techniques A. not having a long duration, and B. requiring frequent move actions to manage who/what they are attacking.

I plan on making Blood Sorcery seals that allow you to make those golems last longer, and make them more programmable.

So that's what I use fuinjutsu for.

"Sometimes, in the course of human events, people get set on fire." - Unknown

"For me the battlefield is my home, and to live is to wage war." - Duke Hyou
NinjaCP
Master of Space and Time

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at Fuinjutsu as being the catch-all category for effects that don't quite make sense as Ninjutsu. I think a common characteristic is that they all either enhance the properties of whatever they're applied to, grant new properties, or "store" an effect that is triggered later.

My character in Shadow's last game used Fuinjutsu. I had a series of self-buff techniques that would kick in when the seal was released, plus a seal that combo'd with some of my other techniques.

The idea was to mark a target with the seal, which would alter or improve other techniques that targeted the seal's bearer. For instance, I had one that was effectively a projectile attack, but if it targeted someone with the combo seal then it would home in on the target and keep making attack rolls against them if it missed the first time.

A high-rank variant of the combo seal was meant for my character to use on himself, and would then transfer itself to the first person that targeted him with an attack.

I also had some trap seals. One of them would stun nearby targets when it was triggered.

For the self-buff seals, I had one that let me deal damage to myself to store life energy in the seal, and then release the seal later to heal myself for the amount of damage I suffered when the seal was made.

Another would have a Genjutsu Kai-like effect when released, and a third (high-level) one would give me a temporary boost to my saves.
AzothCrow
Genin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using containment seals to drop things on people is usually pretty fun.

In my game I have a couple of NPCs who specialize in it for crafting items or "mystical" creations. Like seals that transfer kinetic or thermal energy to one another. So you can put a gem in a fire and the other in water a few thousand feet away to keep bath water warm. Or make elevators work from a distance with kinetic energy transfer.

I also have an archer npc that puts seals on his arrows.
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use Fuinjutsu for? Reply with quote

Athildur wrote:
As the topic states, a question to all of you (and any friends you may play this game with, ask them too!): If/when you ever develop Fuinjutsu for a character or NPC, why do you do this?

What is the main thing you get out of this branch of techniques?

The main thing I get out of this branch of techniques, (When I play and design in Nd20) is primarily two branches of stuff:

1) It's Naruto D20's 'enchantment' system, for both permanent and temporary enchantments. All effects that fall into temporary enchantment like effects - traps, delayed release techniques (Contingent), Techniques that hit from a different angle or standing point, etc. And anything permanent was almost certainly either a training or a fuinjutsu.

2) It's the catch-all for anything considered 'too complex' for hand seals. Time manipulation techniques often fall into this, because of reasons such as storing and retrieving items. 'Ritual' Jutsus (With multiple people) almost always required a Fuinjutsu technique.
Athildur
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to get some insight for designing a custom class or two focused on sealing. I'll post that in the community creations when I'm done, because I'm not really satisfied with the two classes I made before.

If there is anything anyone feels should be part of such a class, or might seem interesting for such a class, I'd love to hear of it Smile.

As an aside, if people happen to have homebrew Fuinjutsu techniques or items that they wouldn't mind to share, I'd love to get them in a private message and bundle them up for posting later. Fuinjutsu can be really effective, but if I'm going to have a class, I'm hoping to include some more Fuinjutsu to give them somewhat more combat viability (since those class levels could also have been spent on classes that do enhance combat ability).

Thanks everyone for your replies Smile
AzothCrow
Genin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 1: Disarm opponents +5 mega sword of death.
Step 2: Seal it in an iron storage seal.
Step 3: Laugh.
RinVindor
Hunter-Nin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'm in a game right now as a kekkai genkai from the Hidden Mist who controls water similar to Gaara's sand style. I'm about to develop a Fuinjutsu technique that allows me to store the gourd in my back and summon it at will from my own skin. Reason for doing so is the gourd slows me down greatly when I'm wearing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: