Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

XP-Less House Rule Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheTrulyAvaricious
Bijuu/Tailed Beast

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: XP-Less House Rule Question Reply with quote

Greetings,

I haven't the foggiest which is the most appropriate board for this topic, so if I've got this wrong I can only apologise.

I dislike the expenditure of XP in the use of creating weapon seals and suchlike, and so would like to house-rule it that in the event of an action that would cause XP loss, you must have enough Arcane Crystals to cover the loss or it automatically fails. Obviously, remove the one Crystal per action limit.

However with this, the current purchase DCs now become a little steep, and if you are using the Purchase DC to Ryo system like I am, anything over 500XP becomes hilariously pointless. How would any of you fellows adjust the price? The goal is that it is cheaper to by for example, one crystal worth 1'00XP over two worth 500XP each. But it needs to be cheap enough that crafting is still worth undertaking.

Your thoughts are as always, appreciated.

Thank you, and best regards,

TheTrulyAvaricious.
Dairius_Chi
Situationally Useful

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know for the majority of games I've been in in the last... several years, we've just used the PF crafting which has no XP expenditure, typically they'd only be able to use training time for any larger projects like enhancement seals, so I've yet to see it really unbalance a game.

As a GM, you can also limit what seals or items the player has knowledge of/access to, as an added measure.
TheTrulyAvaricious
Bijuu/Tailed Beast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

I can see why you'd do it like that. Pathfinder really hit the nail on the head with it, made creating things viable again.

So far the cap is you can only create things at your level or below, although that may be part of the normal rules anyway... Anything too out there requires related Knowledge-checks. Mainly the idea for using Arcane Crystal's comes from an idea involving Chakra Wraiths and Elementals, but I'm still fleshing it out.

Given I'm using the room currency system anyway, perhaps it's easier to rid the XP system altogether as you say, and instead require that of the 1/3 cost you need for crafting materials,1/4 of that must be an equal value of Arcane Crystal? And they just assign a flat vallue per point of Purchase DC.

Thank you, and best regards,
TheTrulyAvaricious
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: