Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Kawarimi with bow

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pasequer
Genin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Kawarimi with bow Reply with quote

I have a technical question about the Kawarimi no Jutsu.

Does using a bow like the Hankyuu allow you to have a free hand to perform seals?

Or we have to perform without no hands free.

Thanks
Naruto d20 Store
TheTrulyAvaricious
Bijuu/Tailed Beast

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

Bit of a weird one this. On the one hand, bows of any size will require two hands to use correctly - one to hold the bow and the other to pull the string.

On the other hand, the rules do state as follows:
The Naruto d20 Main File wrote:
Size: Size categories for weapons and other objects are defined differently from the size categories for creatures. The relationship between a weapon’s size and that of its wielder defines whether it can be used one-handed, if it requires two hands, and if it’s a light weapon.
A Medium-size or smaller weapon can be used one-handed or two-handed. A Large weapon requires two hands.

The next part I would direct you to is the Monkey Grip feat, which reads as follows:
The Naruto d20 Main File wrote:

Monkey Grip
You are adept at using abnormally large weapons with ease.
Prerequisite: Str 13, base attack bonus +1
Benefit: This feat grants the character the ability to wield larger weapons with less effort.
A Medium character with this feat is able to wield a Large weapon with one hand, or a Huge weapon with two-hands, although penalties for wielding an improperly-sized weapon are not affected. A Medium weapon is not considered a light weapon for a character with this feat.

The character is also able to take a hand off a two-handed weapon as a free action to perform a technique with half seal components or cast a spell with somatic components.
Normal: You can use a melee weapon one size category larger but with greater effort. A light weapon for a Medium character without this feat is Small or smaller.

The wording of the Monkey Grip feat to me suggests that you can normally take a hand off to perform a technique with half-seal components for Medium-sized weapons - try as I might I've not been able to find any rule in the Main File outright confirming this.

As the Hankyuu is a Medium-size weapon, for me you should be fine to use techniques with half-seals while holding the bow in one-hand. When you're not firing it would make perfect sense for your character to be able to let go of the string and perform the technqiue - bearing in mind that you do take a -4 circumstance penalty to Perform checks and skill threshold for performing techniques with the half seal (S) component with your off-hand.

If you were trying the same thing with the Daikyuu which is a Large weapon, I'd probably say you needed the Monkey Grip feat to pull this off.

Bit of a long-winded explanation, but I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
TheTrulyAvaricious
Pasequer
Genin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had come to the conclusion that it's a two-handed weapon if the character attacks during the round. Otherwise the player has an available hand off to perform a technique.

It would be the same situation with a Greatbow or a Daikyuu but it would require a monkey grip because it's large weapons.

Thanks you TheTrulyAvaricious!!!
Athildur
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules-wise, you can take a hand off a Medium sized weapon because it can be wielded one-handed, and temporarily removing a hand isn't really an action.

For two-handed, *normally* the reason you can't is because the weapon is too heavy/cumbersome to be wielded with one hand.

For bows, I would argue that you can freely take one hand off. You don't need two hands to hold a bow. The second hand is just needed to draw and fire the bow. If you're not currently doing that, that hand should be perfectly fine for usage of half-seals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: