Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Ask Geoff [Translations, Martial Arts, History]
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BushidoPoet
Naruto d20 Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Ask Geoff [Translations, Martial Arts, History] Reply with quote

Greetings all...

For those of you who don't know my Name is Geoff "Yukirou" Beeson.

I am relatively fluent in Japanese (And the official name translator for the mainfile). I have studied alot of japanese history and I am a martial arts instructor and have studied alot of the history of martial arts.

This thread is for anyone to ask any questions that they might have. Also If you would like me to translate anything I can do it. (Just ask nicely.)

I look forward to answering any opf the questions you might have.

"Without knowledge of Learning, one will ultimately have no military victories."

"One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness."

Imagawa Sadayo

"It is truly regrettable that a person will treat a man who is valuable to him well, and a man who is worthless to him poorly."

Hojo Shigetoki

Never confuse honor, with tactics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blade55440
Jounin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, it may sound cheesy, but I like the idea so go with the flow on this:

I'm trying to create a technique that uses chakra offensively but required a hand symbol to it (not exactly a seal though). It uses the little fake pistol hand gesture (like when you see cheesy hollywood execs wink and do the pistol thing).

I'm curious what I should call it in japanese: Chakra ray (isn't that one taken?), Chakra beam (too cheesy?).

Something else altogether?

Any ideas from the Professor?
BushidoPoet
Naruto d20 Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a simple solution is Chakra gun which would just be Chakra Juu

You could go with Hand Gun - Tejuu (Not to be confused with handgun[pistol] - Tanjuu)

Or you could use spirit gun - Shinjuu or Kijuu

Just some ideas

"Without knowledge of Learning, one will ultimately have no military victories."

"One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness."

Imagawa Sadayo

"It is truly regrettable that a person will treat a man who is valuable to him well, and a man who is worthless to him poorly."

Hojo Shigetoki

Last edited by BushidoPoet on Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spirit Gun from Yu Yu Hakusho... hehehehehe.

On a side note, Aikido is a non-offensive style that turns one's momentium, or ki as my instructor put it, against them. But then, I see Aikijutsu, which sounds similar, and in the context it was used (Anime) seems to be coupled with an offensive attack directly after the initial counter attack.

My question is, is Aikido and Aikijutsu essentially the same thing? I know Aikido techniques were in a few other styles, but not as the forefront...
Blade55440
Jounin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now I am far from fluent in english (i speak bad and worse english)...let alone even good enough with japanese to even call myself retarded with it.

What exactly is "no" in alot of the techniques.

I mean the "no jutsu" I assumed meant "technique". Is "no" sort of like the spanish "de" and such? Sort of meaning "of" or something similar?

Chakra no Shinjuu? Or did I just butcher a language I'm not even familiar with.
BushidoPoet
Naruto d20 Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMKawasaki:

Aikido is not essentially the same thing as [EDIT: Akijutsu]. But the difference between the two is not in the techniques it is in the phlosophy.

Morihei Uyeshiba (The Founder and Creator of Aikido) Studied many different arts in his youth. From Karate to Jututsu, Kendo and Naginatado. Yet, as the story goes, he was left somewhat unsatisfied. Uyeshiba also had a very extensive religious study. Eventually (around 1925) he began to try and create a form of martial art in which the practioner would learn to defend himself from any attack without injuring his opponent. Uyeshiba believed that defending oneself without hurting the opponent was morally the highest form of self defense. Uyeshiba synthezied Aikido from borrowing techniques and skills from many arts. So many of the skills and techniques are as old as the martial arts that they were barrowed from and many aikido techniques are the same as aikijutsu techniques. But an aikijutsu practioner might train the same techniques to cause injury rather then prevent it.

Some "aikido" practioners are not well educated on these facts and might now might argue with me about the philosophy of non-injury. Most of these arguments would probably come in the form of "Well my sensei taught me this or that technique and it really hurts someone." Or "In my aikido dojo we train with katana or bokken or whatever, how could that be non-injurous?"

Many of the techniques in aikido if used INCORRECTLY (at least from the standpoint of Uyeshiba) could hurt someone but if you are trying to be a true practioner of AIKIDO then you should do everythng in your power not to injure you opponent. If you are training with swordsamnship involved then you are mixing somethng else in with aikido. (Probably Iaido) [EDIT: Correction...traditional aikido does use bokken to train. However this training is for the sake of learning unified movement and footwork and not for self-defense]

And to those people who would actually argue with me I only ask one thing...read uyeshiba's writtings before you do that way we can have a productive discussion.

Blade:

no in Japanese functions in some ways alot like the de in spanish. Only it goes backwards.

For example:
The Book OF Five Rings
El Libro DE Los Cinco Anillos
Go (Five) Rin (Ring) NO Sho (Book)

No is also used to create possessives (posesivos)

For Example:
Mi paraguas
My Umbrella
Watashi (I) no Kasa (Umbrella)

So.... Chakra no Shinjuu Would be Spirit Gun of Chakra
Or. Chakra's Spirit Gun....It works

Hope that helps guys.

Imagawa Sadayo

Hojo Shigetoki

Last edited by BushidoPoet on Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Elon
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda strange for me to see you write in spanish Wink

I was wondering if you can translate this, please:

"The sword of all gods"

Lot's of thanks, Geoff.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
BushidoPoet
Naruto d20 Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenkami no Katana or
Zenkami no Ken

Whichever you like

EDIT:

I am a man of many talents Elon...those talents include 2 years of taking naps in high school spanish class and proficiency with the babel fish translator. Smile

Imagawa Sadayo

Hojo Shigetoki

Elon
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BushidoPoet wrote:
I am a man of many talents Elon...those talents include 2 years of taking naps in high school spanish class and proficiency with the babel fish translator. Smile

Right, and I'm impressed with the people around here... seems like I'm the one that knows no japanese or martial arts... Embarassed Thanks for that translation, and here's two more:

?Heaven's Tornado Fist?
?Heaven's Spiral Fist?

Muchas gracias! Wink

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
BushidoPoet
Naruto d20 Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tengoku no tatsumakiken - Heaven's Tornado fist
Tengoku no uzumakiken - Heaven's Spiral Fist

Imagawa Sadayo

Hojo Shigetoki

Tetsunamaru
Jounin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a few for a story me and a friend are making.

Chakra detection technique
Chakra wave technique
Field of traps

Thanks in advance.
Cried "Stay!" for me in the empty square.
BushidoPoet
Naruto d20 Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chakra detection Technique- Chakra Hakken no Jutsu
Chakra Wave Technique - Chakra Nami no Jutsu or Chakraha no Jutsu
Feld of Traps Technique - Wana no Nohara no Jutsu or Nowana no Jutsu

Imagawa Sadayo

Hojo Shigetoki

Sushi30
Rookie Younin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Human Forms of Ground Lizards
(werlizard)
BushidoPoet
Naruto d20 Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chitokake no ningen katachi - human form of lizard

As a note to all those asking translations I will give you the LITERAL - WORD FOR WORD translation of what you give me....

However if you want me to actually find a name for a jutsu you have in mind then I am going to need some idea of what the jutsu does...

Otherwise you'll just get the words you give me back in japanese

Imagawa Sadayo

Hojo Shigetoki

Sushi30
Rookie Younin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I need is a name for a humanoid that looks like a "ground lizard"
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Sushi, I made a jutsu just like that! Then Frankto suggested adding a feat for balance because the jutsu was too powerful without a feat.
BushidoPoet
Naruto d20 Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be best to go with

Ekigyou no Jutsu (Lizard Form Technique)

Or

Hengeyokai no Jutsu - Ekigyou (Changing Beast Technique - Lizard Form)

Imagawa Sadayo

Hojo Shigetoki

Sushi30
Rookie Younin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a tehcnique, just a name for a race which is a lizrad-like humanoid.
BushidoPoet
Naruto d20 Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh I see....

Well then....

Tokajin / Tokanin
Ekijin / Ekinin

All mean the same thing....lizardman

The closest thing in actual japanese mythology are the Kappa but the are more turtle-esk

Imagawa Sadayo

Hojo Shigetoki

Sushi30
Rookie Younin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's the only thing I was able to come up with too. I guess I'll really just go with Kappa. Thanks!
cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Japanese question for you...

What does Ougi mean? I've seen it in things like

Kenjutsu Ougi, and
Kinjutsu Ougi (Naruto Episode 73's opening title)

Does it mean 'Secret', 'Ultimate'?
Tetsunamaru
Jounin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think secret.... a guess though.

I lost the thread for awhile, thanks for the translations!
Cried "Stay!" for me in the empty square.
Athildur
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are quite correct. Ougi means secret.
BushidoPoet
Naruto d20 Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official answer:

奥義 【おうぎ】 Ougi
(n) secrets, mysteries, hidden purpose

奥義を究める 【おうぎをきわめる】 Ougi wo kiwameru
(exp) to master the secrets of an art

Imagawa Sadayo

Hojo Shigetoki

cmkawasaki
Lazy Programmer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thank you very much.
Athildur

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far one cannot get with a good dictionary (which, in my case, is more or less on speed-dial Razz).

Lots of trouble though...great to have a professional within reach ^_^.
BushidoPoet
Naruto d20 Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with a japanese dictionary is that most don't differentiate well between certain words.

Like the difference between Chi (Earth) and Do (Earth) and Chikyuu (Earth)

One means soil...the next means surface or ground...and the third means THE earth (the planet)

But they all show up as meaning "earth"

Or Heaven

Oozora, Tengoku, Ten all can show up in a dictionary as "heaven"

One means the heavens as in the sky and the universe, the nest means the place "heaven"...and the third can actually mean either the sky or heaven

So if you don't know the subleties of the language a dictionary can actually lead you astray.

Just Ask Frankto...most of the corrections I made to the Jutsu names were just misinterpretations of dictionary entries.

Imagawa Sadayo

Hojo Shigetoki

Athildur

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...now I'll never trust another dictionary in my life Razz.
Thank you for clearing that up ^_^.
Frankto
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! My latest translations weren't that bad! Now, the old ones... Rolling Eyes

As for Heaven... Why would Oozora come up? That makes no sense! O' Great Sky? Suuuuure.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Java IRC Client

Thanks to all who donated! Your generosity is what keeps the project going!
Padrino
Genin

Location: Great Falls, Montana, United States, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Prime Material Plane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooo... what's the japanese word for "Wizard"? Since my nin's a master of ninjutsus and genjutsus to the exclusion of all other disciplines, I always describe him as a "ninja wizard"... but don't know the proper term for it.

Thanks muchly.

Thank God the filler episodes are almost over. I'm getting tired of rooting for the bad guys to off "This Week's Sympathetic Supporting Character That You'll Never See Again."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Naruto d20 Store
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: