Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Fair Number of starting techniques for LVL 12's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
demoralizer
ANBU Leader

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Fair Number of starting techniques for LVL 12's. Reply with quote

If my characters in my campaign are starting at LVL 12 (Sort of special Jounin level), what would be a fair amount of starting technique's? Right now I have 2 S's, 3 A's, 4 B's, 5 C's, and 6 D's. They're also allowed two free training technique's of A or lower rank. Is this well rounded?

In order to fairly answer I'll give an overview of my campaign style. Two of the three characters were kidnapped at a young age due to there elevated skills for their youth. A particular sealing technique (If anyone has an idea for this it would be sweet) bound away there memories of their families and they were raised not knowing they had parents, and to be loyal to those who trained them. Anyhow the two characters described above are 17 years old now, and the major villages have began to wage war with each other. Anyhow, one of the characters mentioned above, by some freak accident removed the seal from the two of them during a training excersize. Though even with the seal removed, so much time has passed that the affiliations they once had is still a mystery from them. (truth is the parents were killed by the ones who kidnapped them.) They both have begun having nightmare's of their own kidnappings, and have realized there own potentials, and decide to get to the bottom of it all and stop being puppets for the group (assassination missions, other kidnapping missions, etc.). After fleeing away from their current domain, they enter the realm as missing-nin from there villages and being hunted for killing their own parents (some sort of frame job preformed by the group to conceal their identity). On top of this, the two are being hunted by the group they have fled from to retrieve them and reapply a brainwashing seal. On top of all this, they have no clue to what the purpose was for their kidnapping, and have no clue as to the groups true intentions over the lands of ninja. During the campaign the characters will meet up with other players through various means. One character is a Rinnegan user using the template stated in the creation forum by Keldon_draconian, the other is a implanted Sharingan user (Probably done by the group at a younger age) and from a hidden village of the sword with an elemental affinity in Raiton (electricity).

So am I starting them with just enough technique's? Too much? Too less? this is my first campaign using NarutoD20, but I've been a DM with D&D 3.5 for around 8 years. So I'm still learning the balance of the game. Thanks in advance for the help.
Naruto d20 Store
Catch
Genin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, I use this formula. It's quick and dirty, but it's also pretty fair.

1d4 + (+1/level from 1-5; +2/level from 6-10; +3 level from 11+)

So for your players, 1d4+21 if they're 12th level. Mind you, it's character level, so bloodline users have to suck it up and begin with fewer techs in exchange for their extra powers.

I'd also include a number of mastery attempts equal to their character level.
ultima22689
Kage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong but Blood line levels do actually count as character levels, you just gain no bonuses from it whatsoever but it is an actual character level.
zolniena
Derp
Derp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20-ish would be a good number of jutsu i think. most npc's in the file would have, or do have that amount of jutsu for that level.

what u have going seems like a perfect fit for a balanced campaign.

ultima: do u mean the bloodline giving an ecl? b/c starting at lvl 12, i'd assume that if there was a bloodline, that would factor in, so their ecl is 12, if not their actual level
Athildur
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair Number of starting techniques for LVL 12's. Reply with quote

demoralizer wrote:
If my characters in my campaign are starting at LVL 12 (Sort of special Jounin level), what would be a fair amount of starting technique's? Right now I have 2 S's, 3 A's, 4 B's, 5 C's, and 6 D's. They're also allowed two free training technique's of A or lower rank. Is this well rounded?

First off, S-Ranks are a definate no-no. A few A-Ranks are possible since they are special Jounin level (though only just)

I would personally rule
2 A Rank techniques
4 B Rank techniques
5 C Rank techniques
6 or so D and E rank techniques.

And then give them a few days worth of mastery (let's say a month or so) on top of that.
demoralizer
ANBU Leader

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S ranks are a def no no? At what level do you think S ranks would be appropriate? Or under what circumstances? I don't have a conflict with this, but keep in mind these two are very talented ninja's with ancient lineage in their blood. At what point do you think it's okay to open up an S ranked technique in a campaign?
ultima22689
Kage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be on a case by case basis, not all S-class techniques are uber powerful but some are.
demoralizer
ANBU Leader

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked it like this:

A Rank - 3
B Rank - 5
C Rank - 6
D/E Rank - 7

OPTION: Player can choose to trade TWO A Rank Technique's for ONE S Rank Technique. S Rank Technique chosen cannot be Epic.

Users Granted 5D6 + WISDOM Modifier of Mastery Days.
Athildur
Sexually progressive Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-Rank techniques and super S-Rank technique are for highly trained jounin and kage level shinobi.

Unless you think your players' characters are at that level, I'd recommend not giving access to such techniques. Of course, as someone has mentioned, not all S-Ranks are extremely powerful just as there are perhaps some B or A rank techniques that are a bit more/less powerful than they could have been.

In general though, the complexity rank of a technique is a pretty good indicator of how powerful it is for it's normal rank and chakra cost.
demoralizer
ANBU Leader

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think the layout I have above is generally fair and balanced? Any S Rank technique thats overpowering would cost quite a bit of chakra and I'm sure a character would suffer he used it without proper timing.
Mizuno Kaitsu
Kage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with freely allowing S-Rank techniqes and higher is that, yes - they do have some high chakra costs, but in most cases its for a good reason. What does it matter how much chakra is spent on a technique if it ends the fight?

Past that, if they could perform S-Rank techniques.. they wouldnt be Special Jounin, now would they...

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
demoralizer
ANBU Leader

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. Thank you kindly.
Naruto d20 Store
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: